Position needs and the draft

Doomsday101

Reaction score
You think a rookie will save us? Nope. Need a grown man in the trenches

This is a joke right? I think quality players can make impacts like Donald did with the Rams. Really to claim you need grown men, where the hell do you think players come from?

J-man

Reaction score
IMHO Dallas needs, in order, are:

DT, S, LB, CB

armadillooutlaw

Reaction score
FS and NT are 1A & 1B.
Corner is a need as well, but DL and safeties are more important if you want to win in the playoffs. It just is, the tried and true recipe for success.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
This is a joke right? I think quality players can make impacts like Donald did with the Rams. Really to claim you need grown men, where the hell do you think players come from?
Do you see aaron donald in this draft? Go ahead and think barmore or Nixon will turn the dline around. We need a veteran leader in the middle. You want hill,gallimore and another rookie? Yeah ok bro

stilltheguru

Reaction score
PICK NO. 7: DI DERRICK BROWN, CAROLINA PANTHERS
2020 overall grade: 60.7
The Carolina Panthers were destroyed by the Saints in Week 17, and after a strong run of games, Derrick Brown was barely a factor in the game. Before this week, he had recorded three or more total pressures in six straight games. Yet, he failed to register any pressure at all against Drew Brees and the quick-passing game from New Orleans.

Hailed as a dominant run defender as a prospect, Brown has largely been more of a power pass-rusher so far in his NFL career, with his run defense featuring flashes of ability rather than consistent dominance. Brown’s only elite games against the run came against the worst offensive lines he faced, but he has already shown enough to allay any concerns that he couldn’t generate pressure at this level, with 34 total pressures over his rookie season.

No thank you. Show me a rookie not named donald or suh who came in holdong down the middle of a good defense.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
The only DT that I really like in this draft (for round 1) is Nixon. That guy is very good and he’s going to rise in the pre-draft process. A lot, IMO. Just Like Aaron Donald did. Donald was considered maybe an early second round pick after the season and then he rose and rose and rose. With the combine and people really digging into his film, teams came around on his value. I think pretty much the same will happen.

Now, Nixon is no Donald but I do think he’s a really good, instinctive player who understands football and the leverage and angles needed at that position. He moves like a much smaller player and is strong and explosive. I won’t be surprised at all for him to be valued right about where Dallas picks round 1.

Plus, just a personal preference for me... I really like Iowa players. They’re no-nonsense, blue collar tough guys who play smart, fundamental football. You combine a position Dallas needs with his physical/mental package, and then with him coming out of one of the schools I like prospects from, and what you have is my early favorite choice for the 10th pick.

If not Nixon, then I like CB’s Farley/Surtain/Horn with that first pick.

I also like Parsons a lot as a player, but one, I think he’ll be drafted before 10 and two, I’m not crazy about an off the ball LB that early. I can probably be convinced that he’s the right pick though because he’s a fantastic prospect.

Another guy that I really like an awful lot is Zaven Collins. He is a great football player who seems to have a terrific understanding of the game... which I look for in players in general, and LB’s specifically. He seems to be one of those guys that are just always in the right place at the right time. The ball seems to find him and he makes a huge number of plays behind the line of scrimmage, which happens when guys really know the game. However, I typically like first round picks to be from bigger schools and I think 10 might be too early for him. I do think his stock will rise but I’m not sure how far.

It’s early yet, but this is where my head is at this point.

As for the 2nd and later rounds... Depending on the first round pick, I’d like to see some combination of CB/S/DT in the 2nd, 3rd,and 4th rounds. There aren’t a lot of DT’s that I like, which is one reason I’m liking Nixon at 10. I do like Tufele in the second ok, and would be happy enough with Surtain in the first and Tufele in the second.

I like Moehrig at safety a lot, who will probably end up going in the second, I’m afraid. With the Cowboys picking pretty early in each round, I’m not sure the team would pull the trigger on him that early. If he lasted until early in the third, I’d run the card up for him.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
I think we are in perfect position to sure up our secondary in this draft. At 10 we are a lock at get one of the top 3 cornerbacks. I actually think all 3 will be there when we come to the podium unless Surtain runs under 4.45. At 44 we should be in position to get a top flight safety.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
The only DT that I really like in this draft (for round 1) is Nixon. That guy is very good and he’s going to rise in the pre-draft process. A lot, IMO. Just Like Aaron Donald did. Donald was considered maybe an early second round pick after the season and then he rose and rose and rose. With the combine and people really digging into his film, teams came around on his value. I think pretty much the same will happen.

Now, Nixon is no Donald but I do think he’s a really good, instinctive player who understands football and the leverage and angles needed at that position. He moves like a much smaller player and is strong and explosive. I won’t be surprised at all for him to be valued right about where Dallas picks round 1.
I like Nixon, but I don't necessarily agree that he's all that strong. He plays a lot like Chris Jones, but doesn't have the height/length to do that in the NFL.

You can be a great DT in the NFL at 300 LBs, but you have to have a lot of that weight in your trunk and core. Aaron Donald is a pretty impossible standard, but he can play at his weight because it's all muscle. Nixon at 304 with a little paunch means he's going to have to transform his body quite a bit to take on NFL blockers, imo. He's an awful lot like Trysten Hill in that regard.

I think he's still a first-round player, but he'd have to really change his body to be consistently effective I think. He's not an old prospect, but I'd be concerned about that with a guy who will turn 23 in his rookie season.

jsb357

Reaction score
players make plays

don't let the whole scheme idea blind yourself to good players

MTerrazzano

Reaction score
QB - They are determined to sign Dak.
RB - Stuck with Zekes contract and Pollard is solid
WR - we are set
TE - Jarwin and Schultz are solid and Bell is a contributor
OG - Martin, Williams and Mcgovern - good to go
OT - Tron, Collins, Knight, Steele, maybe re-sign Irving and Martin in a pinch - set
C - Biadazz and hopefully re-sign Looney

I don't see any reason to use any draft picks on offense

DE - DLaw , Gregory, Hopefully Aldon will re-sign and Anae waiting in the wings
3tech - Trysten Hill, Gallimore and Crawford if he wants to stick around cheaply
1tech - a need in the draft and keep one of the current suspects as backup
LB - draft 2
CB - Draft 2 and re-sign Lewis if affordable to go with Diggs
FS - draft one early
SS i Wilson might be the answer

P - keep the new guy
K - Zeurline

I think the draft should look something like this

1:15 Caleb Farley CB Virginia Tech
2:15 Nick Bolton LB Missouri
3:14 Trevon Moehrig FS TCU
4:15 Jordan Davis NT Georgia
6:15 Ernest Jones LB South Carolina
7:15 Adrian Frye CB Texas Tech

MTerrazzano

Reaction score
OL is top priority. I think Smith, Martin, and Collins best football is behind them. Especially Smith and Collins as those type of surgeries can be career Enders. The offense as a whole has to get back to 2014, 16 and 18 form where we control clock and keep the defence off the field.