Position Unit of Most Concern

J12B

Reaction score
Excluding QB and Kicker, what position unit concerns you the most?

I gotta go RB.

Huge Tony Pollard fan, but I think he will need to be limited throughout the season in order to stay healthy and fresh come playoff time. He shouldn't receive more than 20 touches a game imo.

Ronald Jones hasn't had a good season since 2020 when he was on the Bucs Super Bowl Roster. Last year, in Kansas City he was barely used, carrying the ball only 17 times for 70 yards. In 2021, he averaged an unimpressive 4.2 yards per carry on 101 attempts. If he's our RB2, then we'll have serious issues running the ball.

Deuce Vaughn is a wildcard. Chances are he'll most likely be a gadget player on offense, but I think we'll have a good idea on what type of production we'll get from Deuce during preseason.

Then there's Malik Davis who didn't show anything special last year. Doubt he'll make a positive impact if given a larger role this year.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

I gotta go RB.

Huge Tony Pollard fan, but I think he will need to be limited throughout the season in order to stay healthy and fresh come playoff time. He shouldn't receive more than 20 touches a game imo.

Ronald Jones hasn't had a good season since 2020 when he was on the Bucs Super Bowl Roster. Last year, in Kansas City he was barely used, carrying the ball only 17 times for 70 yards. In 2021, he averaged an unimpressive 4.2 yards per carry on 101 attempts. If he's our RB2, then we'll have serious issues running the ball.

Deuce Vaughn is a wildcard. Chances are he'll most likely be a gadget player on offense, but I think we'll have a good idea on what type of production we'll get from Deuce during preseason.

Then there's Malik Davis who didn't show anything special last year. Doubt he'll make a positive impact if given a larger role this year.
Its easily Oline. It was the #1 need before the offseason began and the cowboys did little to nothing.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Gotta go with the Oline. The good news is that if the current unit can stay relatively healthy it won't be a major issue, and this can actually be a strength of this team. The bad news is that Steele feels like a total question mark in my mind, and we all know the Tyron issues.

A good oline will make the RB worries go away really fast. A beat-up mix & match Oline will bring down the entire offense. Really need to see some progression out of the Oline depth in camp.

quickccc

Reaction score

I gotta go RB.

Linebacker .

. i dunno if Parsons is gonna be far more DE than LB ...

LVE can be injury prone ..

Clark is an unknown ..

Overshown a pure rookie that has not played the LB role for long ...

Cox has been invisible ..

Harper missed his entire rookie season ....

quickccc

Reaction score
Gotta go with the Oline. The good news is that if the current unit can stay relatively healthy it won't be a major issue, and this can actually be a strength of this team. The bad news is that Steele feels like a total question mark in my mind, and we all know the Tyron issues.

A good oline will make the RB worries go away really fast. A beat-up mix & match Oline will bring down the entire offense. Really need to see some progression out of the Oline depth in camp.
I have to see what and when the perceived musical chairs stop spinning this summer and settle Tyler will give us great flexibility per Tyron Smith injury ...

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Kicker never concerns me. They can wait until August to sign one like last year.

RB - lots of bodies for RBBC.

OL - my gosh I LOVE the depth. At least 3 backups who could start.

LB - Meh. The Cowboys only have 2 on the field. I'd rather find out about the young guys then bring in a Barr type.

Excluding the QB kills this thread for me. That concern is bigger than the other 52 roster spots combined for crying out loud.

rambo2

Reaction score

I gotta go RB.

The odds are in their favor that some of the 6 backs that they have will play well.

rambo2

Reaction score
To me it is oline, but I think that at least one of the backups that they have will develop and contribute this year.

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
RB. We have one guy that can threaten any defense, and a bunch of question marks. Pollard is an electric asset to have on offense, but he's coming off of a late season injury (spare me the mini camp reports) and hasn't carried the load since high school.

How big a role can we see from Deuce Vaughn? Does Ron Jones have anything left to give? Is Malik Davis a legitimate NFL talent? If they're smart, they will add another talented back to tandem with TP, and rotate the rest in as necessary to keep everyone fresh. Going into the season as is would be a gamble that I wouldn't be willing to make.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I have to see what and when the perceived musical chairs stop spinning this summer and settle Tyler will give us great flexibility per Tyron Smith injury ...
I agree, and to be honest it's not like a Tyron Smith injury isn't something that the Cowboys can't overcome. The problem really is in the timing of when that eventual injury happens, and does that coordinate with another injury or Steele starting the year on the PUP. I actually like the depth they have in Odoga/Waletzko/Farniok however the odds of all three of those guys all staying healthy and progressing seems pretty low. The problem with the Cowboys Oline isn't the talent level, it's that they have injury concerns among their starters and their backups seem injury prone as well.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

The current oline is not healthy. And we all know tyron will go down. So there is no “if”.

The oline is a glaring problem. One that will sink this offense more like as not.

Jarntt

Reaction score
Who knows who steps up and what injuries will come, but for now LB and TE are where we are pretty weak IMO. Since neither is nearly as important as OL, I have to throw that in the mix as a close #3 even though we are set with our starting 5 because of Tyron's injury history

ESisback

Reaction score
The OL is always an ongoing concern. Health is critical, and it always begins in the trenches. As is, Smith, Smith, Badass, Martin and Steele is a great combo. Farniok, Ball, Waletzko and Richards are decent depth with position flex, so I’m not gonna worry about it.

RB would be next. If I had my druthers, I’d acquire Dalvin Cook. Add him to Pollard, Jones, Vaughn, and Luepke and we’re set.