Position Unit of Most Concern

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Why would QB be a position of concern?
I can understand why you said K.

RB and OL. But I do not buy into the theory with this RB group … fix the OL the RB group is fixed.
You have to ask why the most important position in sports (QB) would be a position of concern when a bum is your QB?

I look forward to ya'll wondering another off season why this team didn't get anywhere.

It surely won't be because of the weakness at the most important position in sports, right?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Who knows who steps up and what injuries will come, but for now LB and TE are where we are pretty weak IMO. Since neither is nearly as important as OL, I have to throw that in the mix as a close #3 even though we are set with our starting 5 because of Tyron's injury history
How are we set with our starting five?

cmoney23

Reaction score
My top 5 in order of concern

1. OL
2. TE
3. LB (this is assuming Parsons is an Edge not LB)
4. S
5. WR

RBs are a dime a dozen. I'm not concerned. We have a great one and there is a ton of depth out there on the wire.

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Have to go OL. Very little in the way of adequate backup for anything longer than a game or two

baltcowboy

Reaction score
The Cowboys have a good team. Pollard is a stud running back when used correctly. I think Jones/Davis will be fine as the inside runners and I think Duece is a solid change of pace.
Linebacker is the Cowboys weakness. We need a young guy (Clark/Overshown) to step up.

rambo2

Reaction score
The current oline is not healthy. And we all know tyron will go down. So there is no “if”.

The oline is a glaring problem. One that will sink this offense more like as not.
The only one that is not healthy right now is Steele.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
The current oline is not healthy. And we all know tyron will go down. So there is no “if”.

The oline is a glaring problem. One that will sink this offense more like as not.
The Oline is a concern but I can't share that same level of negativity....at least yet. If Steele is healthy Tyron could basically retire and I think this Oline can be in the top half of the league. It's not like McGovern is this huge loss at LG. I wouldn't say hes a JAG, but McGovern wasn't too far from it. Really though you have 2 plus dependable OLinemen in Tyler Smith & Zach Martin. To a lesser extent, you have a dependable C. If you can just get Steele, Tyron, or some combo of the both of them to give you a full seasons worth of quality games this Oline is really good. That I think is where the "If" comes from. If Tyron can give you 8 really good games and Steele can be at full strength by November all will be OK.

Really my bigger fear is losing a Martin or Tyler Smith mid season, and all of a sudden you have two JAG or close to JAG players in the starting Oline with Philly or SF coming to down for the playoffs.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
WR. CeeDee is a monster, but there's lots of questions behind him.

IMO, a lack of WR talent cost us the divisional round last year. This year, we basically slapped a Cooks-shaped Band Aid on it and trotted back the same crew. I like the Cooks signing, and think it's the best WR addition we could've made given our limited cap and draft resources. But he's a 10th year vet coming off his worst season. Things get ugly really fast if he has lost a step.

I have zero trust in Gallup coming back. He was never an explosive WR even when healthy, more of a crafty guy with great ball skills and balance. He doesn't have a step to lose before CBs can just mug him, and last year he just lost it.

Creeper

Reaction score
I am always concerned about the offensive and defensive lines. Get 5 road graders out there and RB will not be a problem.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Excluding QB and Kicker, what position unit concerns you the most?

I gotta go RB.

Huge Tony Pollard fan, but I think he will need to be limited throughout the season in order to stay healthy and fresh come playoff time. He shouldn't receive more than 20 touches a game imo.

Ronald Jones hasn't had a good season since 2020 when he was on the Bucs Super Bowl Roster. Last year, in Kansas City he was barely used, carrying the ball only 17 times for 70 yards. In 2021, he averaged an unimpressive 4.2 yards per carry on 101 attempts. If he's our RB2, then we'll have serious issues running the ball.

Deuce Vaughn is a wildcard. Chances are he'll most likely be a gadget player on offense, but I think we'll have a good idea on what type of production we'll get from Deuce during preseason.

Then there's Malik Davis who didn't show anything special last year. Doubt he'll make a positive impact if given a larger role this year.
This is a really good question. I am going to go with OL. Smith is a liability at this point. Can’t be counted on to play 17 games. TB is average at best. Steele coming off a major injury. Unit has a chance to be good but lots of “ifs”. It really could sink the season.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Why would QB be a position of concern?
I can understand why you said K.

RB and OL. But I do not buy into the theory with this RB group … fix the OL the RB group is fixed.
He just wanted to avoid the topic, yet again, altogether.
Smart move.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
Excluding QB and Kicker, what position unit concerns you the most?

I gotta go RB.

Huge Tony Pollard fan, but I think he will need to be limited throughout the season in order to stay healthy and fresh come playoff time. He shouldn't receive more than 20 touches a game imo.

Ronald Jones hasn't had a good season since 2020 when he was on the Bucs Super Bowl Roster. Last year, in Kansas City he was barely used, carrying the ball only 17 times for 70 yards. In 2021, he averaged an unimpressive 4.2 yards per carry on 101 attempts. If he's our RB2, then we'll have serious issues running the ball.

Deuce Vaughn is a wildcard. Chances are he'll most likely be a gadget player on offense, but I think we'll have a good idea on what type of production we'll get from Deuce during preseason.

Then there's Malik Davis who didn't show anything special last year. Doubt he'll make a positive impact if given a larger role this year.
I don't think most fan bases would look at QB as a concern here, kicker yes.

I agree with others here mentioning oline. I think this a very good starting group, but depth is a pretty big unknown.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
OL is the most concerning. If we struggle there, we’re not going to be able to run the ball consistently no matter who we have at RB and it’s going to lead to issues in the passing game. Run blocking and pass protection are going to be a big key to having a potent offense.