Possible Day 2 Targets

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Landry was considered a possible top 15 talent. If you are a GM and you arent going over the cost relative to worth of moving on him, then your not a good GM

Landry is a real talent. But teams have passed on him for reasons that should give us pause. Unless we are once again planning on using a second round pick on a talented injury risk.

DBOY3141

Reaction score
Landry is a real talent. But teams have passed on him for reasons that should give us pause. Unless we are once again planning on using a second round pick on a talented injury risk.
suppose to have knee and back issues.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
If they want a weapon for Dak, Mike be it.

Don't see it, they got Jarwin a couple of years ago and supposedly Gathers is over his medical problems (unless he's really not and the Cowboys aren't saying), and don't forget about Swaim. And that's assuming they're planning on reducing Witten's throws....

buck8822

Reaction score
More then likely Sutton. But we can get St. Brown in the 3rd and then Lazard in the late 4th or 5th.

BUT it better be safety Ronnie Harrison in the 2nd.

Klingo3034

Reaction score
Don't see it, they got Jarwin a couple of years ago and supposedly Gathers is over his medical problems (unless he's really not and the Cowboys aren't saying), and don't forget about Swaim. And that's assuming they're planning on reducing Witten's throws....
Probably. Too bad to miss a big fast TE/receiver that is pretty fast for his size. 4.58 second at 250 pounds and 6'6.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
For a "***?" pick, how about B.J. Hill, DT, N.C. State

Height: 6-3. Weight: 321. Arm: 32.35. Hand: 10.38.
40 Time: 4.99.

Improved from his junior to senior year, pretty athletic, can always use guys like that.

More a third rounder, but as we've said, Cowboys seldom follow what we think of as "normal"..

StarHead69

Reaction score
If we don't add SPEED to this offense, we will be letting teams stack the box against Zeke. That's dumb because it takes away our biggest strength and will result in shortening his career because he will get dog-piled far more often.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
If we don't add SPEED to this offense, we will be letting teams stack the box against Zeke. That's dumb because it takes away our biggest strength and will result in shortening his career because he will get dog-piled far more often.

Michael Irvin was a 4.5 guy. His lack of speed didn't hurt the Cowboys. I think being open, whether it's 10 yards down the field or 40 yards, is more conducive to the running game working than the deep play. Cowboys have Beasley, Switzer and Williams to get first downs, not to mention if Gathers, Jarwin or Swaim develop into reliable targets.

But I'd love to have a 4.3 receiver on the team, always good to have every factor on the field, but I think with the prevalence of the West Coast offense most teams run, and especially the Cowboys with a run-first scheme, that speed at the receiver spot is a bit overrrated...

timb2

Reaction score
I think Jerry tries to get cute and he has delusions of having the next Charlie Waters & Cliff Harris pairing. Jerry reaches for Troy Apke to team up with Jeff Heath. Apke lit up the combine running a 4.34 forty and jumping 41 inches.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
I think Jerry tries to get cute and he has delusions of having the next Charlie Waters & Cliff Harris pairing. Jerry reaches for Troy Apke to team up with Jeff Heath. Apke lit up the combine running a 4.34 forty and jumping 41 inches.

Yes history has shown the Cowboys often make the "whaaat?" pick in the second round...

StarHead69

Reaction score
I respectfully disagree. We have the O-Line and RB to make the play-action pass terrifying for our opponents. Lately we use play-action to throw the ball 5-10 yards down-field and hope for a broken tackle to get a chunk play. We are overloaded with zero-yac possession receivers and TEs.

Jake0

Reaction score
Michael Irvin was a 4.5 guy. His lack of speed didn't hurt the Cowboys. I think being open, whether it's 10 yards down the field or 40 yards, is more conducive to the running game working than the deep play. Cowboys have Beasley, Switzer and Williams to get first downs, not to mention if Gathers, Jarwin or Swaim develop into reliable targets.

But I'd love to have a 4.3 receiver on the team, always good to have every factor on the field, but I think with the prevalence of the West Coast offense most teams run, and especially the Cowboys with a run-first scheme, that speed at the receiver spot is a bit overrrated...

Check who Irvin had complimenting his game. Alvin Harper, Kevin Williams, Rocket Ismael, etc.

No one remembers the speed guys cause they don't get all the stats, but they open up the field for the rest of the team. They're important. This team needs that roleplayer more than anything right now.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Check who Irvin had complimenting his game. Alvin Harper, Kevin Williams, Rocket Ismael, etc.

No one remembers the speed guys cause they don't get all the stats, but they open up the field for the rest of the team. They're important. This team needs that roleplayer more than anything right now.

Rocket? He was at Dallas from 2000-2002, during which time the Cowboys went 5-11 every year. Yeah that raw speed did wonders, right? Kevin Williams was mostly a return guy, he never had more than 2 tds in a season, his speed didn't equate to scores.

Like I said, nice to have the speed guy, but I don't see that is a bigger need than blockers for Zeke, protection for Dak and being able to stop other teams from running all over our 235 lb middle linebackers...

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
While you don't want to draft solely for need, you do need a certain number of players at each position. Okay to get along with one kicker, one long snapper, one punter, maybe 2 quarterbacks, but if you're running a 4-3 defense, you need at least 6 or 8 linebackers, and at least 8 or 10 offensive linemen.

So who'll be drafted next does depend somewhat on who you have now. Just like Vander Esch, Cowboys only had 6 linebackers on the roster, and you need at least one of those for special teams, have to have some size and some speed there.

Looking at the roster, Cowboys have only 1 center, so a guard who can play center also might be of interest. Only two true guards listed, plus Looney at "OL". Even at 3, that's only one starter for each side and one backup. So drafting a guard would not come as any surprise, or an OT to let Collins move back inside.

Other positions like receiver are well stocked, numbers-wise, as is DL, so don't be surprised if the next pick is a need pick, not the bpa...

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
More then likely Sutton. But we can get St. Brown in the 3rd and then Lazard in the late 4th or 5th.

BUT it better be safety Ronnie Harrison in the 2nd.

Harrison would be a nice add. Way better box safety than Heath.

Sandyf

Reaction score
We definitely need a TE this draft. WR becoming a lesser concern by the minute.