Twitter: Possible explanation from a physician for Jaylon Smith's regression

lk8701

Reaction score

The head team physician for the Dallas Cowboys Football Dr. DANIEL E. COOPER, M.D. might have been too optimistic about Jaylon's prognosis. Drafting him in the 2nd round was a terrible reach. Extending him should have never been a consideration. The Cowboys really botched their 1st and 2nd round picks in the 2016 draft. Ramsey and Henry was the way to go.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score

The head team physician for the Dallas Cowboys Football Dr. DANIEL E. COOPER, M.D. might have been too optimistic about Jaylon's prognosis. Drafting him in the 2nd round was a terrible reach. Extending him should have never been a consideration. The Cowboys really botched their 1st and 2nd round picks in the 2016 draft. Ramsey and Henry was the way to go.

Man i thought he would bounce back this year, after watching him try and keep contain, its just not there......It sucks but he looks to be regressing physically for sure.

lk8701

Reaction score
Man i thought he would bounce back this year, after watching him try and keep contain, its just not there......It sucks but he looks to be regressing physically for sure.

I never understood the Cowboys hubris about Jaylon's overly optimistic prognosis. Many teams didn't even have Jaylon on their draft board at all. Taking him in the 2nd round didn't make any sense.

Sydla

Reaction score
Makes sense. Watch him in 2018 and then watch him run around and watch him now and it doesn't look the same. He still had his flaws in 2018 but he looked quicker and more explosive.

I think he's cooked athletic wise. That knee is just going to get worse as time goes on.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
He looks heavier and bulkier than the weight they have him listed. Perhaps he would benefit by losing 10-15 pounds.

He also looks top heavy for his frame. Too much upper body strength and not enough lower body strength. That could be the arthritis in the leg.

Reaction score
Makes sense. Watch him in 2018 and then watch him run around and watch him now and it doesn't look the same. He still had his flaws in 2018 but he looked quicker and more explosive.

I think he's cooked athletic wise. That knee is just going to get worse as time goes on.
I agree that his knee condition is likely degenerative.

But if so, how can the Jones's justify a contract extension?

I just think that if Zeke wasn't holding out, Jaylon wouldn't have received that deal. Either way, it was a big mistake.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score

And I think that's probably what's happening. I think teams know his limitations and LVE's and they are exploiting them but I also feel like Jaylon is asked to do more for this defense but his body may not be up to the task.

If this is true its bothersome that they don't seem to be monitoring his body and the team is giving him more to do.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score

I just think that if Zeke wasn't holding out, Jaylon wouldn't have received that deal. Either way, it was a big mistake.
I'm questioning that too...but at the same time....its what? 2 million to cut him next year? Maybe they knew the outcome and just didn't care. Its the only explanation unless they are clueless.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
I never understood the Cowboys hubris about Jaylon's overly optimistic prognosis. Many teams didn't even have Jaylon on their draft board at all. Taking him in the 2nd round didn't make any sense.

his first year back it looked like a steal though.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
I hate to say it but in the NFL you never pay players with catastrophic injuries that take two years to come back from. Drafting him was not the issue because in his first four years he was a solid linebacker. It is just money his making that kills the deal. Let’s not make the same mistake with LVE.

Sydla

Reaction score

They are very impulsive with their own guys. They did the same thing with Crawford. Show something, think he'll explode so get him under contract sooner so you don't get burned if he turns into a stud and gets real expensive.

But in both cases it appears they banked on a guy with an injury issue.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Let's also put some things in perspective. Jaylon in 2018 and LVE BOTH looked posed to be the real deal. They missed out but at the end of the day should this stop the Cowboys from re-signing guys early? At the end of the day the Cowboys are able to get from under this deal next year. I don't think its nearly the hindrance people think.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I hate to say it but in the NFL you never pay players with catastrophic injuries that take two years to come back from. Drafting him was not the issue because in his first four years he was a solid linebacker. It is just money his making that kills the deal. Let’s not make the same mistake with LVE.
I mean if we sign LVE to a 4 year deal and they can get from under it in a few years...i'm not opposed to that.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I just hope they don’t force him out there on the field and compound one mistake (contract) with another (a vulnerability for opponents to exploit).

Admit your screwup, play the better options, and move on next year.