Twitter: Possible explanation from a physician for Jaylon Smith's regression

lk8701

Reaction score
They are very impulsive with their own guys. They did the same thing with Crawford. Show something, think he'll explode so get him under contract sooner so you don't get burned if he turns into a stud and gets real expensive.

But in both cases it appears they banked on a guy with an injury issue.

I wish they took that approach with Dak. Instead they did the opposite. :facepalm:

lk8701

Reaction score
What approach, it was either sign Dak or he goes to the market next year, they literally waited till the last minute to sign Dak.

I mean they should have given the contract extension to Dak instead of Jaylon in August 2019. I think Wentz and Goff signed around that time. Dak's contract would have been much less expensive.

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
Straight ahead Jaylon probably still runs a 4.5/4.6 40. His problem is lateral movement, he looks like he has a limp and can’t change direction well.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I think what upsets me more than anything is how the Cowboys got cute on draft day and selected Jaylon with a premium pick.

lk8701

Reaction score
If you want to understand Jerry and Stephen, look up the Dunning-Kruger effect.

Jerry is guilty of this: The sunk cost fallacy means that we are making decisions that are irrational and lead to suboptimal outcomes. We are focused on our past investments instead of our present and future costs and benefits, meaning that we commit ourselves to decisions that are no longer in our best interests.

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
I think what upsets me more than anything is how the Cowboys got cute on draft day and selected Jaylon with a premium pick.
To be fair both our DE targets went off the board right before. If we could’ve had 2018 Jaylon smith for his entire career would’ve been a hit, oh well.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
I mean they should have given the contract extension to Dak instead of Jaylon in August 2019. I think Wentz and Goff signed around that time. Dak's contract would have been much less expensive.

Ahh ok i see. yeah if they knew they wanted to keep him they should've done it earlier for sure.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
2016 draft: 34. Jaylon Smith 37. Chris Jones 38. Xavien Howard.

Yeah that looks bad now, to be fair you can do that with all teams most years though....excpet the steelers...they draft with a leprechaun in the room, I'm sure of it. (I'm sure someone can give some bad steeler drafts it just seems like thier picks always hit.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
I never understood the Cowboys hubris about Jaylon's overly optimistic prognosis. Many teams didn't even have Jaylon on their draft board at all. Taking him in the 2nd round didn't make any sense.
Jerry loves a good reclamation story, whether it's injury like in this case or character like a Pacman or T.O.

But in the end I'm not sure it matters why Jaylon has gotten worse. All that matters is he can't play and shouldn't be on the field going forward.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Jerry loves a good reclamation story, whether it's injury like in this case or character like a Pacman or T.O.

But in the end I'm not sure it matters why Jaylon has gotten worse. All that matters is he can't play and shouldn't be on the field going forward.

I agree, and I did think he wouild compete and keep his job this year (I was wrong), but i still dont think it is because he forgot how to play it is because he can no longer move laterally.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score

The head team physician for the Dallas Cowboys Football Dr. DANIEL E. COOPER, M.D. might have been too optimistic about Jaylon's prognosis. Drafting him in the 2nd round was a terrible reach. Extending him should have never been a consideration. The Cowboys really botched their 1st and 2nd round picks in the 2016 draft. Ramsey and Henry was the way to go.

Jerry grew up in the six million dollar man era... we can rebuild him line got pumped into his brain.
We eat this Jaylon gig, but I feel those Jerry decisions are being curtailed, Stephen says no more.