Possible running back ideas

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So, I've spent the good part of the season being annoyed about our run game. However, we are 3-3. We have moved the ball okay, all things considered being 1 dimensional in the NFL. A big part of our problem, as stated, has been we can't run the ball, especially in the RedZone. The good news is that the trade deadline hasn't hit yet. There are some teams worse than us that have running backs they may not want anymore. Additionally, there are running backs on practice squads we can sign that don't even cost a draft pick. Here are some running back ideas that may not cost us much and could save our season:

1. Travis Etienne Jacksonville - Given the emergence of Tank Bigsby, it's possible the Jaguars may be willing to move on from Etienne. Additionally, the Jaguars are a bad football team overall. However, Etienne is a bright spot on their team. I think we could probably make a deal for him with a low draft pick. I could see him costing around a 6 round pick. Probably would need to be conditional for a 5th. I think he'd be worth a look.
  2. Chubba Hubbard Carolina - one of the few bright spots for the Panthers, who will not go anywhere. I wanted him in the draft, and I could see him being a cheap deal too.
  3. Kene Nwangwu Jets Practice Squad (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kene_Nwangwu) - this wouldn't even cost us a draft pick. Here's a big back who we could sign today off the Jets Practice. I could see him being a player we would need to ease in, but is big enough that can become a RedZone weapon.
  4. Ty Davis-Price Eagles Practice Squad (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ty_Davis-Price) - a big back we could sign off the Eagles practice squad. Could be an option, like Nwangwu, that we could mix into our rotation at RB.
  5. Tyjae Spears RB Titans (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyjae_Spears) - the Titans are going no where. I wanted him in the draft in 2023. He's probably wouldn't cost much in draft picks. Heck, we might even be able to do a player swap.
  6. Rhamondre Stevenson Patriots - he's their starting RB, so he might cost a 4 or 5 but the Patriots are probably going to enter a big rebuild. Might be an option for us.
These are just 6 possible options I think could be good additions to our team. There are many more I could mention, but, if Jerry can pick up the phone, I think there could be a deal made for these running backs. Not to mention that you can claim players off practice squads for no draft picks. I think these backs would stand a chance at improving our running game.
Dalvin Cook
2022 - His 2nd highest rushing yards season...

Blue64

Reaction score
So, I've spent the good part of the season being annoyed about our run game. However, we are 3-3. We have moved the ball okay, all things considered being 1 dimensional in the NFL. A big part of our problem, as stated, has been we can't run the ball, especially in the RedZone. The good news is that the trade deadline hasn't hit yet. There are some teams worse than us that have running backs they may not want anymore. Additionally, there are running backs on practice squads we can sign that don't even cost a draft pick. Here are some running back ideas that may not cost us much and could save our season:

1. Travis Etienne Jacksonville - Given the emergence of Tank Bigsby, it's possible the Jaguars may be willing to move on from Etienne. Additionally, the Jaguars are a bad football team overall. However, Etienne is a bright spot on their team. I think we could probably make a deal for him with a low draft pick. I could see him costing around a 6 round pick. Probably would need to be conditional for a 5th. I think he'd be worth a look.
  2. Chubba Hubbard Carolina - one of the few bright spots for the Panthers, who will not go anywhere. I wanted him in the draft, and I could see him being a cheap deal too.
  3. Kene Nwangwu Jets Practice Squad (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kene_Nwangwu) - this wouldn't even cost us a draft pick. Here's a big back who we could sign today off the Jets Practice. I could see him being a player we would need to ease in, but is big enough that can become a RedZone weapon.
  4. Ty Davis-Price Eagles Practice Squad (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ty_Davis-Price) - a big back we could sign off the Eagles practice squad. Could be an option, like Nwangwu, that we could mix into our rotation at RB.
  5. Tyjae Spears RB Titans (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyjae_Spears) - the Titans are going no where. I wanted him in the draft in 2023. He's probably wouldn't cost much in draft picks. Heck, we might even be able to do a player swap.
  6. Rhamondre Stevenson Patriots - he's their starting RB, so he might cost a 4 or 5 but the Patriots are probably going to enter a big rebuild. Might be an option for us.
These are just 6 possible options I think could be good additions to our team. There are many more I could mention, but, if Jerry can pick up the phone, I think there could be a deal made for these running backs. Not to mention that you can claim players off practice squads for no draft picks. I think these backs would stand a chance at improving our running game.
All good…
Except one thing… Jerry will not pick up the phone…
Because he doesn’t care!
If he cared one bit, he would have gotten Henry who expressed his desire to play in Dallas.
Hell JJ wants us to believe A) there was no money for him
B) he would not be a good fit within Dallas…

I mean can anyone believe this crap? Seriously?

Cmac

Reaction score

Let's try this again......good list, but not one of the listed could get yardage behind our OL. Until the OL issues are corrected, we will be a poor rushing team.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
All good…
Except one thing… Jerry will not pick up the phone…
Because he doesn’t care!
If he cared one bit, he would have gotten Henry who expressed his desire to play in Dallas.
Hell JJ wants us to believe A) there was no money for him
B) he would not be a good fit within Dallas…

I mean can anyone believe this crap? Seriously?

Hey, probably not, I'm just talking about from a standpoint of what a logical Fo would do.

Cmac

Reaction score
Perhaps, but signing some backs from the practice squads is a possibility too. That's why I threw in a few practice squad players. You can sign players from other teams' practice squads without giving up a draft pick.
Practice squad......means you're not quite ready, need more practice, good but not enough for the 53-man roster.......and one step away from cut, released, or waived and returning to school, accepting career change, or driving a Milk Truck.
And with due respect.......behind our current OL's performance.........possibly a slew of embarrassing tape.

Portnoy1

Reaction score
There is ZERO reason to obtain a running back. Dowdle is good enough. The Problem is the offensive line. LT and RT are not good.

Put Dowdle with the 49ers and all of a sudden he’d probably be second in rushing just like that nobody they have as a RB in SF.

The 49ers have ONE all pro lineman, but they understand the scheme and execute.
The Cowboys had 3 Pro bowlers last year (two still here) and the Oline can’t execute to provide better running lanes for Dowdle.

Blue&Silver

Reaction score
Trading for a player isn’t going to turn the Cowboys into a good team. They have far too many holes for one player to make that big a difference. I would rather hang onto our draft picks for next April and accept where we are. If you have a good team and you need one player to help put you over the top that’s different but we’re a long way from that. We had our chances the past three seasons and the window closed on us. We’re just going to have to take our lumps and hope the Joneses are more aggressive next offseason.
Agreed. An All-Pro running back can't run through nonexistent holes by a porous offensive line. Play the year out, keep our assets, and pounce when the time is right in future years.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Practice squad......means you're not quite ready, need more practice, good but not enough for the 53-man roster.......and one step away from cut, released, or waived and returning to school, accepting career change, or driving a Milk Truck.
And with due respect.......behind our current OL's performance.........possibly a slew of embarrassing tape.

Or, sometimes it's just a numbers game and the team they're on don't have enough numbers for them to be on the 53 because their RB depth is so good like the Ravens.

Cmac

Reaction score
Or, sometimes it's just a numbers game and the team they're on don't have enough numbers for them to be on the 53 because their RB depth is so good like the Ravens.
Quite a gamble for our team......I'm sorry, but our OL corrections/improvements have to be one of top priorities. As for motivation and hoping something into existence, for starters.....I'd make the OL look at Erik "Big E" Williams' tape all day.
But then again......we don't have "Dawgs" or "Nasty" players willing to just maul someone........blame FO. Then we can address RBs, now that Henry is in the distance.

Been saying this for a while.....FO & Scouts apparently unwilling to go to smaller schools and HBCU schools. Big E, Larry Allen & Nate Newton came from such.

BKBDAD

Reaction score
And I want that with Jeanty. And, if we lose to the 49ers, I plan to write a thread of players we should trade for more draft picks and what I think we could get for them.
I live in Boise & I can tell you that Jeanty is not only the best back in College football but you could make a case that he would be a top 5 back right now if he were in the NFL. On top of his physical ability, he is a great human being with a very strong moral compass! The Boys would be damn lucky to have him!!

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I live in Boise & I can tell you that Jeanty is not only the best back in College football but you could make a case that he would be a top 5 back right now if he were in the NFL. On top of his physical ability, he is a great human being with a very strong moral compass! The Boys would be damn lucky to have him!!

Oh, exactly, and I think he'd be a home run for us. He's almost a no brainer if he's available for us to pick.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Agreed. An All-Pro running back can't run through nonexistent holes by a porous offensive line. Play the year out, keep our assets, and pounce when the time is right in future years.
Hopefully this season will be a lesson learned for the Joneses and they’ll be more aggressive next offseason. If we sit around again, it’s just going to get worse in 2025.

Wangchung83

Reaction score
Not sure who you’re talking about because our QB does have some escapability. We need a running game, but there isn a back available that’s going to provide one for us. The Cowboys need to give Cook a try.
lol dak and escapability. The only thing he’s running from is a fan betting they can outrun him. Dak would be lucky to run sub 5, he’s slower than the dline that keep catching him anytime he tries to escape. Dak runs line a wounded duck and he’s the slowest player on the field.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
lol dak and escapability. The only thing he’s running from is a fan betting they can outrun him. Dak would be lucky to run sub 5, he’s slower than the dline that keep catching him anytime he tries to escape. Dak runs line a wounded duck and he’s the slowest player on the field.
Zzzzzzz