Possible running back ideas

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I get cha, but this isn't a superbowl team, at least that's my thought. We are more like a money pit that Jerry wants to keep on pumping money into vs a knockdown and build a new house. Hey maybe he should consult with Dak, that's what he is doing.

Oh, no doubt. Still, if we lose, we should be selling.

Doomsday77

Reaction score
So, I've spent the good part of the season being annoyed about our run game. However, we are 3-3. We have moved the ball okay, all things considered being 1 dimensional in the NFL. A big part of our problem, as stated, has been we can't run the ball, especially in the RedZone. The good news is that the trade deadline hasn't hit yet. There are some teams worse than us that have running backs they may not want anymore. Additionally, there are running backs on practice squads we can sign that don't even cost a draft pick. Here are some running back ideas that may not cost us much and could save our season:

1. Travis Etienne Jacksonville - Given the emergence of Tank Bigsby, it's possible the Jaguars may be willing to move on from Etienne. Additionally, the Jaguars are a bad football team overall. However, Etienne is a bright spot on their team. I think we could probably make a deal for him with a low draft pick. I could see him costing around a 6 round pick. Probably would need to be conditional for a 5th. I think he'd be worth a look.
  2. Chubba Hubbard Carolina - one of the few bright spots for the Panthers, who will not go anywhere. I wanted him in the draft, and I could see him being a cheap deal too.
  3. Kene Nwangwu Jets Practice Squad (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kene_Nwangwu) - this wouldn't even cost us a draft pick. Here's a big back who we could sign today off the Jets Practice. I could see him being a player we would need to ease in, but is big enough that can become a RedZone weapon.
  4. Ty Davis-Price Eagles Practice Squad (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ty_Davis-Price) - a big back we could sign off the Eagles practice squad. Could be an option, like Nwangwu, that we could mix into our rotation at RB.
  5. Tyjae Spears RB Titans (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyjae_Spears) - the Titans are going no where. I wanted him in the draft in 2023. He's probably wouldn't cost much in draft picks. Heck, we might even be able to do a player swap.
  6. Rhamondre Stevenson Patriots - he's their starting RB, so he might cost a 4 or 5 but the Patriots are probably going to enter a big rebuild. Might be an option for us.
These are just 6 possible options I think could be good additions to our team. There are many more I could mention, but, if Jerry can pick up the phone, I think there could be a deal made for these running backs. Not to mention that you can claim players off practice squads for no draft picks. I think these backs would stand a chance at improving our running game.
Clearly if you read our owner's response today concerning Henry's performance last night that he would most likely NOT have the same success here due to our "scheme". I am paraphrasing here. So my question to our owner is, "if our scheme would not fit him ideally we must be a pass first team that can't pass so what is our scheme?" Just asking for a friend. Who designed the scheme? Why are they still here? I know, I know too many questions...

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Clearly if you read our owner's response today concerning Henry's performance last night that he would most likely NOT have the same success here due to our "scheme". I am paraphrasing here. So my question to our owner is, "if our scheme would not fit him ideally we must be a pass first team that can't pass so what is our scheme?" Just asking for a friend. Who designed the scheme? Why are they still here? I know, I know too many questions...

I read it and made a thread about how annoyed I am about it. That said, if we can win the game against SF, maybe we can try to add a running back and see if our coaches can adjust the scheme.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
Trading for a player isn’t going to turn the Cowboys into a good team. They have far too many holes for one player to make that big a difference. I would rather hang onto our draft picks for next April and accept where we are. If you have a good team and you need one player to help put you over the top that’s different but we’re a long way from that. We had our chances the past three seasons and the window closed on us. We’re just going to have to take our lumps and hope the Joneses are more aggressive next offseason.
I certainly wouldn't sacrifice any draft picks for a half baked solution to a problem that needs a good draft to fix it. Oh sure if we could've got Henry that would be an exception of course, but then who cares about Henry when you can get Zeke, right? :facepalm:

RonWashington

Reaction score
Over in the draft zone thread I have Dallas taking a RB round three , Dylan Sampson out of Tenn out of the Tony Pollard mold , speed can also catch passes . And resign Dowdle to a team friendly deal as Sampson’s change of pace . Need twp competent positive yardage backs in an NFL attack .

Buzzbait

Reaction score
Trading for a player isn’t going to turn the Cowboys into a good team. They have far too many holes for one player to make that big a difference. I would rather hang onto our draft picks for next April and accept where we are. If you have a good team and you need one player to help put you over the top that’s different but we’re a long way from that. We had our chances the past three seasons and the window closed on us. We’re just going to have to take our lumps and hope the Joneses are more aggressive next offseason.
I agree KJJ, at this point I think the best thing we can do is go for the draft. And in view of that thought, I actually hope we finish the season at less than .500, we need a decent draft position.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Hey, I'm trying to show some positive ideas lol. Plus, signing some backs off practice squads might not be a bad idea. We can do that for no draft picks. I forgot to mention Zavier Scott, btw.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zavier_Scott

He's on the Vikings PS. Maybe we could sign him for no draft picks. The Vikings have a deep RB room, so he could end up being a good signing.
PS guys are a great idea given how we've only got 1 back worthy of an NFL roster.
We should be churn, churn, churning.

Zeke should sprain his pinky toe, go on IR, then retire a Cowboy in the offseason. Deuce to the PS.

Get Dalvin Cooks to the roster to see what he can do. Bring in a PS guy from elsewhere. Keep churning until we get a couple more guys worthy of a roster.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
PS guys are a great idea given how we've only got 1 back worthy of an NFL roster.

Zeke should sprain his pinky toe, go on IR, then retire a Cowboy in the offseason. Deuce to the PS.

Get Dalvin Cooks to the roster to see what he can do. Bring in a PS guy from elsewhere. Keep churning until we get a couple more guys worthy of a roster.

Right, and if Cook doesn't work, then churn again and pluck from practice squads. Keep churning until we either find something that works or until it's time to focus on the draft. Never know until we churn.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score

Plus, by plucking from teams that have a deep RB room forcing their backs to be on their PS, they're bound to be better than Zeke and Vaughn. I mean, sometimes, they're on the practice squad because of the numbers game. If Jerry's wise, we can use that to our advantage without using any draft picks and for probably minimal expense. It's dumpster diving, but with the possibility of being productive.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The team does not need a running back, Jerry signed Mighty Mouse. He is like Popeye, give him some Spinach, all good to go, all in.

ErikWilliamsHeadSlap

Reaction score
1. Steele is not a guard. He is just finished as an NFL player. Nobody would take him.
2. We have blown 2 consecutive 1st round picks. We will have to draft DT and OT again next year.
3. They simply wont trade Micah. People are nuts if they think that has even entered their thoughts. They will just waste his career by not switching to a 3-4.
4. Trading/drafting a RB wont help. The O-line is trash right now. We need a new position coach. At least 1 OT and a guard.
5. We need to scheme better on offense. We need a new head coach for that.
6. Why would anyone want our safeties, or O-linemen? They aren't any good.
7. This will take years to fix. New coaches and a new philosophy are required. And we can't re-build the roster via draft only. And we know the story as far as free agency is concerned.
8. The organization has no idea what it is doing. So even if trading was an option, there would be no strategy to it. And probably no success from it.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I agree KJJ, at this point I think the best thing we can do is go for the draft. And in view of that thought, I actually hope we finish the season at less than .500, we need a decent draft position.
We’re certainly not going to come up with anything great trading a pick for a player a team is probably just looking to unload. The draft is a roll of the dice, but that’s where you come up with great players.