Possible running back ideas

Chasing6

Reaction score
To me, it has to be. If we win that, then we go for one of the backs I listed and try to pull a trade for a LG so we can move Guyton to RT. If we lose, then it's firesale time and time to tank. It's really that simple to me.
I do not expect Zach Martin back next season. His base salary is $1.25M. I don't see him playing for that.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I do not expect Zach Martin back next season. His base salary is $1.25M. I don't see him playing for that.

I would agree with that, but, perhaps he might play longer for a team that has a legitimate chance at a championship in a year or two. Perhaps, if we shop him, someone like say...maybe the Bills would be able to extend him?

Chasing6

Reaction score
I would agree with that, but, perhaps he might play longer for a team that has a legitimate chance at a championship in a year or two. Perhaps, if we shop him, someone like say...maybe the Bills would be able to extend him?
He should definitely be tradable at that price and new team would have to figure out a new contract. Based on his play this year, I think he just retires.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
So, I've spent the good part of the season being annoyed about our run game. However, we are 3-3. We have moved the ball okay, all things considered being 1 dimensional in the NFL. A big part of our problem, as stated, has been we can't run the ball, especially in the RedZone. The good news is that the trade deadline hasn't hit yet. There are some teams worse than us that have running backs they may not want anymore. Additionally, there are running backs on practice squads we can sign that don't even cost a draft pick. Here are some running back ideas that may not cost us much and could save our season:

1. Travis Etienne Jacksonville - Given the emergence of Tank Bigsby, it's possible the Jaguars may be willing to move on from Etienne. Additionally, the Jaguars are a bad football team overall. However, Etienne is a bright spot on their team. I think we could probably make a deal for him with a low draft pick. I could see him costing around a 6 round pick. Probably would need to be conditional for a 5th. I think he'd be worth a look.
  2. Chubba Hubbard Carolina - one of the few bright spots for the Panthers, who will not go anywhere. I wanted him in the draft, and I could see him being a cheap deal too.
  3. Kene Nwangwu Jets Practice Squad (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kene_Nwangwu) - this wouldn't even cost us a draft pick. Here's a big back who we could sign today off the Jets Practice. I could see him being a player we would need to ease in, but is big enough that can become a RedZone weapon.
  4. Ty Davis-Price Eagles Practice Squad (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ty_Davis-Price) - a big back we could sign off the Eagles practice squad. Could be an option, like Nwangwu, that we could mix into our rotation at RB.
  5. Tyjae Spears RB Titans (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyjae_Spears) - the Titans are going no where. I wanted him in the draft in 2023. He's probably wouldn't cost much in draft picks. Heck, we might even be able to do a player swap.
  6. Rhamondre Stevenson Patriots - he's their starting RB, so he might cost a 4 or 5 but the Patriots are probably going to enter a big rebuild. Might be an option for us.
These are just 6 possible options I think could be good additions to our team. There are many more I could mention, but, if Jerry can pick up the phone, I think there could be a deal made for these running backs. Not to mention that you can claim players off practice squads for no draft picks. I think these backs would stand a chance at improving our running game.
caddyshack-judge.gif

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
He should definitely be tradable at that price and new team would have to figure out a new contract. Based on his play this year, I think he just retires.

Yes, but if he thinks within a year or two that he can win with Josh Allen or Lamar Jackson (who might want a guard too), then he might extend his career a year or two.

75boyz

Reaction score
Someone else already mentioned Dameon Pierce in a previous week's post. He got 900 plus yards a couple years back. He is currently either 2nd or 3rd on Texans depth chart behind Mixon.
The kid's got juice.
He had a long one week before last and even had a nice kick return last week too.

24 I think.
Fresh legs. Nice speed, Good between the tackles or outside.

Would be a huge upgrade.

jmo

Last edited:

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
I’m not even sure Philly is a winnable game the way Saquon Barkley is running the ball this year. If he’s still healthy by the time we play them, he’s going to be a real problem. Who knows, some team may call and make us an offer we can’t refuse for Parsons. If someone were to offer us four picks, including two first round picks, which is what the Raiders traded Khalil Mack for, the Joneses might bite, Not sure anyone would trade that much for Parsons with the season he’s having and coming off a high angle sprain.
No team will offer even one first for Micah Parsons. Idiot trades like the Mack trade are not going to happen anymore. These scenarios for multiple draft picks for Micah Parsons are nonsense. If he was worth a haul like that why have the Cowboys not signed him to a new deal? Jerry is in no itching hurry to sign him to an extension, yet you suggest some team might be willing to part with valuable draft capital for him. Will never happen.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
No team will offer even one first for Micah Parsons. Idiot trades like the Mack trade are not going to happen anymore. These scenarios for multiple draft picks for Micah Parsons are nonsense. If he was worth a haul like that why have the Cowboys not signed him to a new deal? Jerry is in no itching hurry to sign him to an extension, yet you suggest some team might be willing to part with valuable draft capital for him. Will never happen.
You and I have already been over this multiple times. :rolleyes:

Chasing6

Reaction score
Yes, but if he thinks within a year or two that he can win with Josh Allen or Lamar Jackson (who might want a guard too), then he might extend his career a year or two.
I think as fans we are more enamored with rings than the players are especially at the end of their careers when they want to retire healthy.

Zach Martin will be in the HOF regardless.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
We only have two running plays.

A Gap Blast

WR C Gap Left/Right

They know what we are doing.

TheSport78

The Excellence of Execution
Reaction score
Some reasonable names here.

1. Etienne - Good option, although I don't think he's actually a good player.
2. Hubbard - Similar to Etienne, but think they'd trade Sanders first and try to re-sign.

In either of these instances, you're going to have to give up probably more than you want because both could fit into the comp pick calculation. Ideally, you give up a 6th for these guys, but there's little reason for Jax/CAR to move them at that price because they'll count for roughly the same in the comp formula if they don't want to bring them back anyway.

3/4. Nwangwu/Price-Davis - I don't mind either for a look I guess, but the league is littered with these players. There's a reason they're on practice squads.
5. Spears - Under his rookie deal for two more years. He's not going anywhere for less than a premium pick.
6. Stevenson - Just signed an extension, not going to be moveable.

Other names:

Alvin Kamara - The Saints are dead and going to be forced into a rebuild. Has just one year left but you'd have to restructure.
Khalil Herbert - Getting no touches and in last year of his deal. Might be more worth it to Chicago just to keep him as depth.
Johnathan Taylor - Colts are going nowhere. Two years left on his deal but not a huge dead cap hit - probably would cost too much capital to acquire.
James Conner - Arizona going nowhere, last year of deal.
Arizona is 3-4 and we're 3-3 lol

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I think as fans we are more enamored with rings than the players are especially at the end of their careers when they want to retire healthy.

Zach Martin will be in the HOF regardless.

Fur sure he will be in the Hof regardless, but, if he wants a SB, I could see one of those teams taking him and offering him an extra year or two.

TheSport78

The Excellence of Execution
Reaction score
Ok?

I didn't say Dallas should be buyers.
Well, you insinuated that we should trade for the player when they're 3-4, literally just beat a solid Chargers team last night, but Dallas should be buyers and they should sell one of their best players?

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I bet you last year his hold out was pay me or I am sitting/retiring. I seriously doubt it was pay me or trade me.

Oh, probably. Besides, even if he doesn't take a new deal, he probably has a really good chance at making a SB with either Baltimore or Buffalo. Heck, maybe even the Lions.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Well, you insinuated that we should trade for the player when they're 3-4, literally just beat a solid Chargers team last night, but Dallas should be buyers and they should sell one of their best players?
No, I said that is why they would be available as options.

I don't think Dallas should trade for a RB.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I don't mind trying to make the team better, anyone we can pick up at this point that doesn't cost of draft picks is fine with me.

But I don't want to give up any picks going into next year. As a matter of fact I'm selling not buying now.

1. Zack Martin to any playoff contender who has a hole or injury on the offensive line.
  2. Steele to any playoff contender who has a hole or injury on the offensive line.
  3. Tank, same scenario as above for Tank.
  4. Parsons for the Herschel Walker type of haul.
  5. Hooker or Wilson, maybe both. We have a young and strong secondary, these guys haven't lived up to their high status we saw them at years before.
  6. Lance...lol
Wish I could have put CeeDee or Dak on this list but what it is...is what it is.

I push this all off to next year. Who knows magic may happen and for some reason Jerry won't be running the team. I don't want him ever making a football decision ever again so I have a hope if he doesn't do anything stupid before the trade deadline. Maybe his mental deficiencies will get worse and the family might have to make a decision to remove him from his role. Maybe he will get frustrated and sell the team? Either way, I would like the next coach in here (Face it MM is gone next year) to be able to have some draft firepower to help us rebuild.

Sometimes things have to break before you fix them.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I don't mind trying to make the team better, anyone we can pick up at this point that doesn't cost of draft picks is fine with me.

But I don't want to give up any picks going into next year. As a matter of fact I'm selling not buying now.

1. Zack Martin to any playoff contender who has a hole or injury on the offensive line.
  2. Steele to any playoff contender who has a hole or injury on the offensive line.
  3. Tank, same scenario as above for Tank.
  4. Parsons for the Herschel Walker type of haul.
  5. Hooker or Wilson, maybe both. We have a young and strong secondary, these guys haven't lived up to their high status we saw them at years before.
  6. Lance...lol
Wish I could have put CeeDee or Dak on this list but what it is...is what it is.

I push this all off to next year. Who knows magic may happen and for some reason Jerry won't be running the team. I don't want him ever making a football decision ever again so I have a hope if he doesn't do anything stupid before the trade deadline. Maybe his mental deficiencies will get worse and the family might have to make a decision to remove him from his role. Maybe he will get frustrated and sell the team? Either way, I would like the next coach in here (Face it MM is gone next year) to be able to have some draft firepower to help us rebuild.

Sometimes things have to break before you fix them.

Depends how things go with SF to me.