CFZ Possible rush defense solutions?

817Gill

Reaction score
Unfortunately, if the Cowboys can't stop the bleeding on defense, they may have to change how they play on offense. They will want to jump on teams early and try to take them out of a patient running game to keep up. Of course it will mean the Cowboys have to score early and often. Not something we have seen this year except for the Bears game.
That was the philosophy last year, and I don’t quite think we have the O to do this Mahomes/KC-esque plan.

I like forcing teams to pass by winning TOP like Dak’s rookie year and 2014. You know this was the #1 rush defense in 2016? That was not because Nick Hayden and Crawford were tearing it up, it’s because we ran the snot out of the ball and scored touchdowns.

If the desired effect is to squeeze the opposing O into passing, then it should be due to time of possession. Trying to shoot out teams in the first quarter and a half to ensure they have to pass to catch up is not only risky but it’s a philosophy that only consistently works for the leagues elite QB’s. I like Dak as a 9-12 guy, not 1-4 and that’s who can execute that style consistently.

Jarntt

Reaction score
Heart and pride is nice and all but doesn’t overcome a lack of talent.
I don't think the issue is lack of talent. If you look at our scheme it's just not set up to stop the run. Heck, look no further than the fact that we play 2 LBs and 5 DBs almost the entire game. Now look at the size of some of the guys we line up at DT. Now look at what downs we play guys who are more pass rushers than run stoppers on. Now look at how our DEs crash down and don't hold the edge. Now look at that last one two or three more times because it's a huge problem for us. How could we not be expected to struggle against the run? Then add in our constant stunts and alignment and it's a recipe for disaster

phildadon86

Reaction score
Yeah he stuffed Zeke and Pollard when we played them. :laugh:Stop embarrassing yourself. The Cowboys were smart not to pay him or Miller for that matter.
Embarrassing myself?

Wagner is rated 88.8 by PFF. The highest grade for LB in football so far this season.

Have a great day. Using 1 game to judge a players entire season.

cnuball21

Reaction score
I don't think the issue is lack of talent. If you look at our scheme it's just not set up to stop the run. Heck, look no further than the fact that we play 2 LBs and 5 DBs almost the entire game. Now look at the size of some of the guys we line up at DT. Now look at what downs we play guys who are more pass rushers than run stoppers on. Now look at how our DEs crash down and don't hold the edge. Now look at that last one two or three more times because it's a huge problem for us. How could we not be expected to struggle against the run? Then add in our constant stunts and alignment and it's a recipe for disaster

But it is…our weakest links on the defense are DT and LBr.

You can not be a good run defending team without quality DT play up front and quality LBr play to finish.

We’ve literally refused to add a quality DT in FA for years and / or draft one early.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Line up in a 4-3 instead of the hybrid and running stunts. I am about to just say stack the box and play man coverage. Just quit letting them run for 7 on first down..

blueblood70

Reaction score
Line up in a 4-3 instead of the hybrid and running stunts. I am about to just say stack the box and play man coverage. Just quit letting them run for 7 on first down..
I get what you are saying but when we lost Lewis then Brown hard to stack box and play man with t KJ and Bland.. that asking a lot from these young players,

Jarntt

Reaction score
But it is…our weakest links on the defense are DT and LBr.

You can not be a good run defending team without quality DT play up front and quality LBr play to finish.

We’ve literally refused to add a quality DT in FA for years and / or draft one early
Correct, BUT, that doesn't change the fact that one of our biggest problems has been holding the edge. That is scheme and DE

glimmerman

Reaction score
I get what you are saying but when we lost Lewis then Brown hard to stack box and play man with t KJ and Bland.. that asking a lot from these young players,
I know. Lol. These dang repeating the same run plays and them getting 5 and 7 yards a shot and they aren’t adjusting at all. Show a different look. Red dog all out blitz…. Take out the rb and qb at once.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Correct, BUT, that doesn't change the fact that one of our biggest problems has been holding the edge. That is scheme and DE

Sure, so add a lack of DE talent to the puzzle.

Great DEs impact the pass and run. Outside of Tank, who do we have that is good at both? Zero.

cnuball21

Reaction score
So you agree with me

Not really, scheme doesn’t change how well a DE can play the run.

Just b/c we’re getting a lot of sacks and pressures doesn’t mean they’re getting coached to pin their ears back and ignore the run.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
This defense is looking more like the one Mike Nolan ran these last 2 weeks, unable to stop the run with any success, result of limited pass rushing opportunities and offenses seeing easy run/pass options in 3rd and manageable distances.

The issues aren't within just one area, it's throughout the personnel and defensive scheme:

-We seen huge gains on the ground both inside and on the edge.
-Defensive Line stunts have created huge rushing lanes to exploit, where backs get to the 2nd level with ease.
-Using 3 safety looks over more of a traditional alignment makes it harder to defend the ground attacks.
-There are some issues with the personnel throughout the unit.
-Lack of discipline or so called gap responsibility.

Some possible solutions:

-Quinn needs to dumb down his scheme, no more stunts/twists up front, has to be more conservative.
-Bring back more of a traditional front with a linebacker replacing Kearse inside the box.
-Play bigger personnel, Zimmer used to employ 2 1 Tech's inside, we might have to do the same. 3-4 Fronts were established to defend the run better, maybe use that alignment more.
-Bench players who freelance and lack discipline. Make them accountable for their play.
-Offense needs to force teams to pass the ball more often by playing ahead.
It’s simple. Pause. Make sure they’re not running by you before you go After,the quarterback

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Not really, scheme doesn’t change how well a DE can play the run.

Just b/c we’re getting a lot of sacks and pressures doesn’t mean they’re getting coached to pin their ears back and ignore the run.
It’s all about patience scheme. They can’t wait to get a sec

Doomsday101

Reaction score
It’s all about patience scheme. They can’t wait to get a sec

Stopping the run is not going to make the highlight reels but it will impact the game. If Cowboys can stop the run and force teams to play in longer down and distance those 3rd downs and long they can get after the QB

Dak_Attack_09

Reaction score
The 3-4 is all about stopping the run. 3 bigger lineman with four speedy backers behind them to make plays.

No 3-4 is all about variation in your rush line-up and require special types of athletes. Last time Cowboys tan 3-4 they had the worst defense in Football. Having 4-3 DL allows you take on all of the OL especially with a true NT that requires a double team. This way OL can’t reach 2nd level and the LBs can roam to attack run plays cleanly.

Majic

Reaction score
No 3-4 is all about variation in your rush line-up and require special types of athletes. Last time Cowboys tan 3-4 they had the worst defense in Football. Having 4-3 DL allows you take on all of the OL especially with a true NT that requires a double team. This way OL can’t reach 2nd level and the LBs can roam to attack run plays cleanly.

Some of the best season's statistically (if not the best) in Cowboys history was when they played the 3-4. Mike Nolan's DEF was not a 3-4 either. It had 3-4 elements to it like Quinn's does.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
This defense is looking more like the one Mike Nolan ran these last 2 weeks, unable to stop the run with any success, result of limited pass rushing opportunities and offenses seeing easy run/pass options in 3rd and manageable distances.

The issues aren't within just one area, it's throughout the personnel and defensive scheme:

-We seen huge gains on the ground both inside and on the edge.
-Defensive Line stunts have created huge rushing lanes to exploit, where backs get to the 2nd level with ease.
-Using 3 safety looks over more of a traditional alignment makes it harder to defend the ground attacks.
-There are some issues with the personnel throughout the unit.
-Lack of discipline or so called gap responsibility.

Some possible solutions:

-Quinn needs to dumb down his scheme, no more stunts/twists up front, has to be more conservative.
-Bring back more of a traditional front with a linebacker replacing Kearse inside the box.
-Play bigger personnel, Zimmer used to employ 2 1 Tech's inside, we might have to do the same. 3-4 Fronts were established to defend the run better, maybe use that alignment more.
-Bench players who freelance and lack discipline. Make them accountable for their play.
-Offense needs to force teams to pass the ball more often by playing ahead.
I dont think we have a good 4i. We have some players that could theoretically do it, but they either suck (Gholston) or arent used for that position (Odighizuwa, possibly Lawrence). I think getting a really solid player there would help on those off tackle runs that have been killing us