CFZ Possible rush defense solutions?

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
This defense is looking more like the one Mike Nolan ran these last 2 weeks, unable to stop the run with any success, result of limited pass rushing opportunities and offenses seeing easy run/pass options in 3rd and manageable distances.

The issues aren't within just one area, it's throughout the personnel and defensive scheme:

-We seen huge gains on the ground both inside and on the edge.
-Defensive Line stunts have created huge rushing lanes to exploit, where backs get to the 2nd level with ease.
-Using 3 safety looks over more of a traditional alignment makes it harder to defend the ground attacks.
-There are some issues with the personnel throughout the unit.
-Lack of discipline or so called gap responsibility.

Some possible solutions:

-Quinn needs to dumb down his scheme, no more stunts/twists up front, has to be more conservative. Yes. These have their place but not every down.
-Bring back more of a traditional front with a linebacker replacing Kearse inside the box. At times yes like short yardage. Kearse is probably better than the 3rd and 4th LB we have anyway.
-Play bigger personnel, Zimmer used to employ 2 1 Tech's inside, we might have to do the same. 3-4 Fronts were established to defend the run better, maybe use that alignment more. Hell yes, line them both at the 1tech and take out 2guards and the center with these guys.
-Bench players who freelance and lack discipline. Make them accountable for their play. yes!
-Offense needs to force teams to pass the ball more often by playing ahead.
up by 14 in the 4th, they forced Aaron to do his thing problem was, he did and the boys lost.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
I would employ a 3-4 front with Bohanna/Golston as end's and Haskins as the NT. Allow them to hold up blockers so our 4 backers can make the plays: DLaw, Parsons, Lve, Barr/Clark

1) The guy's name is Hankins.. he's been on the team 3 weeks we should probably know it by now.
2) Bohanna is nowhere near athletic enough to be a DE..
3) DLaw is not fast enough to play standup OLB. THis alignment would turn one of the fastest defenses in the league into one of the slowest.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
No 3-4 is all about variation in your rush line-up and require special types of athletes. Last time Cowboys tan 3-4 they had the worst defense in Football. Having 4-3 DL allows you take on all of the OL especially with a true NT that requires a double team. This way OL can’t reach 2nd level and the LBs can roam to attack run plays cleanly.
While I’m not a fan of a 3-4 for the reason you mentioned of needing very specific players I love it as a base defense against the run.

you have basically 3 DTs on the line with flexibility at the lb spot. Really I’ve always thought of a 3-4 on run downs as basically a 5-2 with your outside backers basically being athletic DEs standing up.

this is where I’ll need some help from someone who knows the history a little better but I think the 3-4 came to the NFL in the 70s with the whole goal being to stop the plethora of elite backs in OJ simpson, Walter Payton, Tony Dorsett, etc.

Jarntt

Reaction score
Not really, scheme doesn’t change how well a DE can play the run.

Just b/c we’re getting a lot of sacks and pressures doesn’t mean they’re getting coached to pin their ears back and ignore the run.
Where did I say that?
By the way, I will say now that is indeed part of the problem if you watch these guys on the snap. Not just going for the QB bough, penetrating in general. For years we have crashed down too hard and not maintained the edge. but I don’t think I said it here and I certainly never said that was the entire issue

Playmaker3128

Reaction score
I think sam Williams playing more will help. Hankins should be playing more cause every time he's in I notice the offense not running the ball as well. Something needs to change.

I think dann Quinn is stubborn at times. He wants to have this super dline rotation, but we can't seem to stop the run. he needs to sacrifice some pass rush to stop the run.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
3-4 front is worse at run defense
Wrong.

The 11th player on 3-4 is a 330 pound NT.

The 11th player on a 4- 3 is a 240 LB.

A true 3-4 has three DL between the outside shoulder of the LT and RT. A 4-3 has 2 DL in that space.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Think taking Kearse off the field on base downs and replacing him with Clark makes some sense. Also, would consider using a 5-2 front.
Not off the field. Just back to SS instead of LB.

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
Unfortunately, if the Cowboys can't stop the bleeding on defense, they may have to change how they play on offense. They will want to jump on teams early and try to take them out of a patient running game to keep up. Of course it will mean the Cowboys have to score early and often. Not something we have seen this year except for the Bears game.

You do have a point, get offensive TDs early and make the other team go one dimensional maybe a good option , for that our offense have to be in sync and not with so many communication failures and WR1, TE1 and QB1 not on same page.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
This defense is looking more like the one Mike Nolan ran these last 2 weeks, unable to stop the run with any success, result of limited pass rushing opportunities and offenses seeing easy run/pass options in 3rd and manageable distances.

The issues aren't within just one area, it's throughout the personnel and defensive scheme:

-Defensive Line stunts have created huge rushing lanes to exploit, where backs get to the 2nd level with ease.
-Using 3 safety looks over more of a traditional alignment makes it harder to defend the ground attacks.

Some possible solutions:

-Quinn needs to dumb down his scheme, no more stunts/twists up front, has to be more conservative.
-Bring back more of a traditional front with a linebacker replacing Kearse inside the box.
-Play bigger personnel, Zimmer used to employ 2 1 Tech's inside, we might have to do the same. 3-4 Fronts were established to defend the run better, maybe use that alignment more.
-Bench players who freelance and lack discipline. Make them accountable for their play.

Gap integrity by the d-line would be a good start. We've got guys running themselves out of plays, creating gaps and freeing up guards/centers to attack the LBs.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
One big issue is I believe they were trying to turn MP into more of a traditional LB this game and cut back on rush and not only did it not work but he disappeared a little.

We are so dumb.
Parsons is an elite pass rusher and a good off the ball LB. He should be playing the former at every opportunity, and the latter *only* to the extent it doesn't take away from what he does on the former.
This is not complicated.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Gap integrity by the d-line would be a good start. We've got guys running themselves out of plays, creating gaps and freeing up guards/centers to attack the LBs.
It's those darn stunts, I have seen plays where they crash out of the hole, making it very easy for lineman to get to the 2nd level.

baltcowboy

Reaction score

Some possible solutions:

-Quinn needs to dumb down his scheme, no more stunts/twists up front, has to be more conservative.
-Bring back more of a traditional front with a linebacker replacing Kearse inside the box.
-Play bigger personnel, Zimmer used to employ 2 1 Tech's inside, we might have to do the same. 3-4 Fronts were established to defend the run better, maybe use that alignment more.
-Bench players who freelance and lack discipline. Make them accountable for their play.
The Cowboys signed Tak McKinley to the practice squad and they put Bunam right in at defensive end after the bye. I think Quinn has more issues with our defensive ends then tackles. He moved Parsons to middle linebacker. I think it might be for the rest of the season. He wants to stop the run. I wonder if we will get that big front seven you have been predicting.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
The Cowboys signed Tak McKinley to the practice squad and they put Bunam right in at defensive end after the bye. I think Quinn has more issues with our defensive ends then tackles. He moved Parsons to middle linebacker. I think it might be for the rest of the season. He wants to stop the run. I wonder if we will get that big front seven you have been predicting.
I was watching the Mosher podcast, he was claiming the same outside run that TB gashed us opening night is the same one that is continuing to kill us.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
I was watching the Mosher podcast, he was claiming the same outside run that TB gashed us opening night is the same one that is continuing to kill us.
The ends other then Tank seems to be the problem then.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
The ends other then Tank seems to be the problem then.
Yes, also those stunts/twists that create huge rushing lanes. They have to find the right DE who can do the best job. Our outside players need to force these runs to the inside where help is.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Yes, also those stunts/twists that create huge rushing lanes. They have to find the right DE who can do the best job. Our outside players need to force these runs to the inside where help is.
Parsons will be playing middle linebacker for the next 3 games at least. I wonder if Fowler or Armstrong will get benched too.