Possible Teams if Dak’s franchise tag is rescinded

dueyhemlock

Hog Hunter
Reaction score
so what's the plan for replacing the QB? Dalton is not the long term answer....and he is not going to lead any team to any promiseland...so I guess you expect Danucci to turn into something special

It's stated in my post....

Draft ammo if Dak is traded.
If Andy doesn't perform w/ the offense we've assembled, then make moves w/ the extra draft capital or trade for a QB.

We do have options, we can not let one player hold the boys hostage.
It's about the team, not the player.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree the tag will not be rescinded but does anyone know if they can lower the tag or if they can allow him to seek a trade even under the exclusive tag? It would be interesting to see that unfold. I have said all along if he was allowed to test the market, he would be forced to lower his demands.
As long as the current Exclusive Franchise Tag is held by a team, there are only 3 options:
Sign a new contract extension, sign the tag, or sit out the season if neither of the first two are done by the signing deadline - the first Tuesday after the 10th weekend of the season.
After a player signs the tag, the team could do a trade, but who will do that at such a high price for a QB?
If he had received a non-exclusive tag, Dallas would have right of first refusal in order to match that offer. If they chose not to match the offer, and Dak signed with another team, Dallas would get two first round draft picks.

CWR

Reaction score

If Andy doesn't perform w/ the offense we've assembled, then make moves w/ the extra draft capital or trade for a QB.

No lie after signing Dalton I started wondering, what is Dak worth in trade? We could sign Cam and have an open competition. Of course that is assuming he would come cheap as well. We'd still save 15-20 million saved per season, and use the assets from Daks trade to help draft another QB.

I like Dak and would be happy to get him signed, but with the contract he wants we are banking on his improvement. While I already believe he's a good QB and a winner I dont think he is elite yet.

Also Im not sure Id like this direction, but it is an interesting scenario. In any event I think our best chance to number 6 is with Dak next season.

DCCowboys11

Reaction score
I believe applying the “exclusive” tag was a HUGE mistake. You had a chance to literally find out “Dak’s” market and match it accordingly rather than guess at it and pay him 35m/going rate. If a team would have actually outbid the Cowboys for him (highly doubtful) then the Cowboys would’ve gotten back 2 first round picks. If no teams outbid you, then he’s more likely to come back and take your deal. Honestly, if he tested the market and came back to me my deal would maybe even be lower. You could still say all the right things to the media “Dak’s our guy“, “we believe in him”, etc. Because until the deal is done, nobody believes you anyways.

Last edited:

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I believe applying the “exclusive” tag was a HUGE mistake. You had a chance to literally find out “Dak’s” market and match it accordingly rather than guess at it and pay him 35m/going rate. If a team would have actually outbid the Cowboys for him (highly doubtful) then the Cowboys would’ve gotten back 2 first round picks. If no teams outbid you, then he’s more likely to come back and take your deal. Honestly, if he tested the market and came back to me my deal would maybe even be lower. You could still say all the right things to the media “Dak’s are guy“, “we believe in him”, etc. Because until the deal is done, nobody believes you anyways.
You got that right, it's interesting that they didn't do that.

Sevenup3000

Reaction score
I'm not certain how it came to be popular opinion around here that Dak is better than Wentz, but he's just not. Wentz is carrying that team 100% on his back and Dak is just a trailer being pulled by our trucks.

That team that LITERALLY won a Championship and then followed that up by getting to and winning another playoff game WITHOUT him?

Lol at Wentz carrying anything.

Reactions: CWR

Established1971

fiveandcounting
Reaction score
I'm a Dak hater, well I say that because around here if you aren't shining his turds you have to be a hater. What I really mean is I have been critical at times. But Dak is 100% the qb for the next 5 years for Dallas and Dalton will be his back up a year or two. Dak will continue to play at pro bowl level and if they can get this defense to pressure the qb and get more turnovers Dak should be leading this team into multiple deep playoff runs. Everything in between is just chatter.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm a Dak hater, well I say that because around here if you aren't shining his turds you have to be a hater. What I really mean is I have been critical at times. But Dak is 100% the qb for the next 5 years for Dallas and Dalton will be his back up a year or two. Dak will continue to play at pro bowl level and if they can get this defense to pressure the qb and get more turnovers Dak should be leading this team into multiple deep playoff runs. Everything in between is just chatter.
Not much room on the bus for anyone sitting in the middle aisle of the 'all or nothing bus,' is there?! :muttley:
The FO is banking on him being better and the supporting cast to be healthy.
Sounds like Dalton is looking for a QB1 job in a year or so.

dfense

Reaction score
The only option for Dak is to compromise with our owner and get the deal done. He is not going anywhere but to play along with this the one team that makes sense to me of those 5 are the Deadskins. The others have starting QB's and he isn't backing anyone up. Can you imagine him going to the Skins?
Yes.

Wood

Reaction score
Gonna have a rough year if things start to get rocky during the season fan sentiment already with him wanting to be a top QB not getting it done with the immense talent cast surrounding him will alienate him and start the “we want the red rifle” chants for dalton

I can see this happening as well. Starting to just think Franchise tag works best for both parties because obviously there is a disconnect between Dak/Agent & Cowboys view of his talent level.

Pola_pe_a

Reaction score
For those touting trade options you do realize you can’t trade a player who isn’t under contract?
Dak is not under contract, he cannot be traded. If they want to work a sign and trade a long term deal would need to be in place prior to the trade. Ultimately Dak can control where he goes by refusing to negotiate with the new team.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
Lol. JJ needs to offer a straight up 34 million a year with a few million more in guaranteed and a few million more in signing bonus than goff.. That’s it. Done deal. Take it or sign the tag.
No way do I over pay Dak because the Rams made a dumb mistake over paying Goff. JJ and Stephen drew a line in the sand last week and then signed Dalton after that.

No way I would recind the tag since we would lose all leverage over Dak....but, I would certainly give Dalton every opportunity to have a fair competition with Dak which could give the team even more leveage. MM can make the call, if the QB competition is a draw, then I look at the 2 pricetags and put the higher one on the market, get whatever we can keeping in mind a 4th round pick is a draw from his original draft position, so we want more than that.

mathew1184

Reaction score
Daks only real option is the Cowboys, if he doesnt want to sign, long term he can sign the tender, or not and sit the year out.

We can tag him again, pay %120 of this years salary next year..

Dak can try what he wants, but either way Jerry can make life hard on him.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

who do you trade for? who do you target in draft.

plus, getting draft ammo for either Dalton or Dak is just a fantasy....in reality no one would trade picks for a QB on a franchise tag, I don't remember any player getting traded on franchise tag. the ones I remember, was us signing Galloway (not a trade) and giving up two first round picks....ala the poison pill as they call it.

we have options, cooper rush was an option. Danucci is an option. what I am looking for is options that lead to a championship......not playing 16 games.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
key word ... Last year
exactly, which means he probably would have got more this year. we could have offered Dak 27/28 mill average beginning of last season, yet we chose not to...it was a gamble on both sides, we wanted to see how he does. he wanted to gamble on himself. I said it last year as well, as much as it seems I am supporting dak signing, I had my doubts, but wanted to see proof, if he showed, then paying the extra would be worth it, since if he didn't pan out, the consequences would have been devastating to the franchise. I rather pay a little extra and be sure, than risk and turn out bad.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The issue isn't whether or not Dak would have teams interested in him. The issue Is....... at what price? We think he's worth around 30-33 million per year. Whose paying him more?