Post Draft Analysis

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Running the football doesn't beat the Eagles and 49ers...that's the problem.
This reminds me of the Parcells team that lost to the Seahawks because Romo fumbled the snap. Seattle had no cornerbacks and we had TO but Parcells decided to play the game close. MM is in charge.

Rayman70

Reaction score
we can grade this draft 1 year from now. Lets give it a chance. I wasnt thrilled but I trust Will McClay. The UDFA class we just signed is part of this. Ill say this, for better or worse, Mike M and DQ seem to have a plan and are on the same page. We drafted big fast nasty,physical ball players.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
They already added Cooks and they will probably add a better free agent RB

And you guys are sleeping on Schoonmaker ....... he was my favorite TE in this draft.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
The Cowboys went into the draft with offensive playmakers being the biggest reason we didn’t make a playoff run.

I could break down each pick but to make it short and sweet we drafted a pass blocking TE, a 5’5 RB (who I do like) and a 7th round WR.

Incredibly disappointing IMO. I always talk about talent over need, but if you’re going to reach I at least wish we would’ve done it more so on offensive play makers early and often.
NO, that is not the biggest reason. And we did make a playoff run.

Biggest reason we didnt go further is two reasons:

1. Run defense was vulnerable
2. Our oline is average at best
3. We have no RB's after Pollard

We took care of #1 in a great way and did ZERO about the other two.

Now we did need another WR and took care of that, but I just dont see it.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Running the football doesn't beat the Eagles and 49ers...that's the problem.
In 4 of the 49ers 5 regular season losses in 2022, they had less rushing yards than the opponent.

The out rushed their opponent in all of their wins. Most of them by a wide margin.

Malhavoc

Reaction score
Very few players on offense were going to move the needle for this team. And they all went in round 1 before our pick.

InPhiltraitor

Reaction score
Spin this draft any way you like but one thing is not deniable and that is that the gap between the Cowboys and the Eagles has widened and the distance between the Cowboys and Giants has narrowed.

JonesBoys

Reaction score
I keep seeing posts about them not doing much on offense in this draft. Is anyone forgetting they used one of their picks in this draft for Cooks?? Getting a legit #2 receiver and knocking Gallup down to the third is a big difference. So when we talk about this daft can we say they added Cooks, Shoonmaker, Vaugn, and Richard’s who might end up being a good guard.
Who could they have drafted from rounds 2-7 for WR that would have helped this team more than Cooks?? So yes, Cooks was a great pick used for this offense.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
When Dallas drafts well, they tend to take the best player available who falls to them. Eg Lamb, Diggs, Parsons.

When they draft badly, it's usually because they reach for need or to appease coaches. Eg Hill, Joseph, Taco.

Virtually every pick in this draft was a reach for need or for a coach's pet cat.

Day 1 was a bomb. Mazi over Nolan Smith is as pure an example of need over BPA as you will ever see. Ditto with Schoonmaker over Torrance on Day 2.

Day 3 looks like a bunch of no-hopers to me. Fehoko's ceiling is Chauncey Golston. No RB has succeeded with a size-speed combo as poor as Deuce Vaughn's since the Clinton administration. Eric Scott is the one guy who may have a shot - apparently his 4.7 40 is bogus because he popped his hammy on the run. He jumped out of the gym otherwise.

In 4 years, I wouldn't be shocked if every member of this draft class is off the team.

RonWashington

Reaction score
Lack of offensive line investment until late round was puzzling . It all starts up front on offense no matter pass or run you have to dominate up front . Steele coming off injury # 77 has missed a lot of games lately McGovern is a Bill .

Last edited:

RonWashington

Reaction score
I’m most excited about seeing the Texas LB in open space with Clark . Two nice young LB tandem last 2 drafts potentially.

Malhavoc

Reaction score
When Dallas drafts well, they tend to take the best player available who falls to them. Eg Lamb, Diggs, Parsons.

When they draft badly, it's usually because they reach for need or to appease coaches. Eg Hill, Joseph, Taco.

Virtually every pick in this draft was a reach for need or for a coach's pet cat.

Day 1 was a bomb. Mazi over Nolan Smith is as pure an example of need over BPA as you will ever see. Ditto with Schoonmaker over Torrance on Day 2.

Day 3 looks like a bunch of no-hopers to me. Fehoko's ceiling is Chauncey Golston. No RB has succeeded with a size-speed combo as poor as Deuce Vaughn's since the Clinton administration. Eric Scott is the one guy who may have a shot - apparently his 4.7 40 is bogus because he popped his hammy on the run. He jumped out of the gym otherwise.

In 4 years, I wouldn't be shocked if every member of this draft class is off the team.
The spin of someone who hates the draft.

RonWashington

Reaction score
And the Eagles have invested in a pair of Georgia “Stone Mountain” DT’s these last 2 drafts . Makes it hard to run on if you don’t invest in the line .