Post Draft Analysis

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Why do you keep hammering on me wanting WRs? I’d like for us to add competition to the WR room but if we would’ve just drafted talent over need and not taken a single WR I would’ve been happy.
Because pre-draft you were HAMMERING on about WR's at every conceivable opportunity, kept saying you didnt put faith in Tolbert improving, didnt like Gallup (even pre-injury) and that MM played 4 WR sets and that's what you expected. Even when the discussion came to creating space (vrs 49ers), you were advocating extending the field with speed, whilst others stated it was the running game that kept the LB's/Safeties honest and that losing the Tony meant they flooded the coverage.

visionary

Reaction score
MM told us what he wanted to do. This draft is just his plan set in motion. Play strong defense, run the football and get tougher. Schoonmaker completes the tight end room the Cowboys will be running the 12 personnel with him and Ferguson. They believe Gallup will be healthy and Tolbert will step up. Vaughn is small but is a game breaker. Will help with screens and return game. The Carolina kid is 21 years old and can play.
I don’t even know where you guys get this crap from

You dont build a great run game by not having a LG and starting an injured Pollard with nothing behind him

Drafting a blocking TE when you have a hole at LG and number 2 RB is like having a player with limited talent but great intangibles. The intangibles only matter of you have the tangibles. Otherwise they mean nothing

If you want to know what to do to have a great run game as your identity see Philly or Detroit or Seattle

Pollards will NOT last the season as the starter and we will be relying on crap like Davis and Jones

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
That’s bc we run those stupid curl routes 20 times a game. Philly has talked about it to.

We don’t have a deep threat to make DBs back off and that’s also on Kellen.
The deep threat doesnt suit Dak's style or arm (MM doesnt have Rodgers anymore), he needs to get the ball out quick and that means not holding on until someone gets down the field (and especially if they're dt'd). It's not about the routes, it's about how difficult Dak finds progressing, especially when he has to wait for the routes to unfold and there's free safeties that can double up post-snap......just look at the interception after Tony went down and how Ward 'lingered in the zone into which he expected CeeDee to take (I think it was a FLAT).

cnuball21

Reaction score
Because pre-draft you were HAMMERING on about WR's at every conceivable opportunity, kept saying you didnt put faith in Tolbert improving, didnt like Gallup (even pre-injury) and that MM played 4 WR sets and that's what you expected. Even when the discussion came to creating space (vrs 49ers), you were advocating extending the field with speed, whilst others stated it was the running game that kept the LB's/Safeties honest and that losing the Tony meant they flooded the coverage.
Yea, I basically said I don’t want to go into the year counting on MG / Tolbert and we need to create more competition in that room. Pretty sure I didn’t start 10 threads on it.

cnuball21

Reaction score
The deep threat doesnt suit Dak's style or arm (MM doesnt have Rodgers anymore), he needs to get the ball out quick and that means not holding on until someone gets down the field (and especially if they're dt'd). It's not about the routes, it's about how difficult Dak finds progressing, especially when he has to wait for the routes to unfold and there's free safeties that can double up post-snap......just look at the interception after Tony went down and how Ward 'lingered in the zone into which he expected CeeDee to take (I think it was a FLAT).
Doesn’t suit Daks arm goodness gracious man…

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
You dont build a great run game by not having a LG and starting an injured Pollard with nothing behind him

Drafting a blocking TE when you have a hole at LG and number 2 RB is like having a player with limited talent but great intangibles. The intangibles only matter of you have the tangibles. Otherwise they mean nothing
So you think the FO were just asleep when they took Schoonmaker when Torrence was available, or do you think we thought he'd fall to the 3rd???

No wonder Philbin's gone, I hear he was a traditionalist advocate of a LG....I understand Solari really dismisses the position, indeed the rumor is that he told Mike that he doesnt even want Tyler moving inside and that that he'd resign if we picked up Dalton Risner.

doomsday9084

Reaction score
Just as a general note: Dallas played poorly in the 4th quarter last year and it was frequently possession related stuff where other teams could drive on them while they went 3 and out.

If Dallas had been able to hold the leads against GB and Jax, they would have taken Washington seriously and finished 15-2, leaving them the 1 seed. That would have put Philly and SF against each other in round 2 while giving Dallas a week off before playing NYG at home.

I strongly think that a lot of the emphasis this offseason is about winning the 4th quarter. That's why they got the "blocking" TE and Mazi. That deep pass against Jax and the poor play against SF probably got Moore fired.

IMO, when you look at the whole offseason through this lens it makes sense.

Side note: I don't think they are done at LG or RB. They still have capspace.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
I don’t even know where you guys get this crap from

If you want to know what to do to have a great run game as your identity see Philly or Detroit or Seattle

Pollards will NOT last the season as the starter and we will be relying on crap like Davis and Jones
You do realize the Cowboys ran for 2000 yards behind this scrub offensive line last season with Ole Yeller Zeke right. Believe what you want. The Cowboys will be a top 5 running offense next season.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Yea, I basically said I don’t want to go into the year counting on MG / Tolbert and we need to create more competition in that room. Pretty sure I didn’t start 10 threads on it.
You mentioned it in every thread.
Doesn’t suit Daks arm goodness gracious man…
Yep, that's right, Dak's strength isnt holding onto the ball, going through progressions waiting for receivers to get open down the field. McCarthy playing the same Offense having Dak opposed to Rodgers is madness, that's exactly the issue we had with Moore....trying to fit the players into a scheme, rather than fitting the scheme around the central playmakers.

cnuball21

Reaction score
You do realize the Cowboys ran for 2000 yards behind this scrub offensive line last season with Ole Yeller Zeke right. Believe what you want. The Cowboys will be a top 5 running offense next season.
Is it a bold prediction that Duece could be more efficient than Zeke this year? lol

cnuball21

Reaction score
You mentioned it in every thread.

Yep, that's right, Dak's strength isnt holding onto the ball, going through progressions waiting for receivers to get open down the field. McCarthy playing the same Offense having Dak opposed to Rodgers is madness, that's exactly the issue we had with Moore....trying to fit the players into a scheme, rather than fitting the scheme around the central playmakers.
If you want to do the Dak nonsense take it to the main threads where there are already 20 on him.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
If you want to do the Dak nonsense take it to the main threads where there are already 20 on him.
Stop with the Dog Whistle. My comments arent an attack on Dak at all. Its that he and Rodgers are not alike in strengths/weaknesses and that waiting for a receiver to go long (with a chance they arent open), is probably the worst case scenario. Then again if we wanted to mix that play....we've got Cooks available.

Rayman70

Reaction score
When Dallas drafts well, they tend to take the best player available who falls to them. Eg Lamb, Diggs, Parsons.

When they draft badly, it's usually because they reach for need or to appease coaches. Eg Hill, Joseph, Taco.

Virtually every pick in this draft was a reach for need or for a coach's pet cat.

Day 1 was a bomb. Mazi over Nolan Smith is as pure an example of need over BPA as you will ever see. Ditto with Schoonmaker over Torrance on Day 2.

Day 3 looks like a bunch of no-hopers to me. Fehoko's ceiling is Chauncey Golston. No RB has succeeded with a size-speed combo as poor as Deuce Vaughn's since the Clinton administration. Eric Scott is the one guy who may have a shot - apparently his 4.7 40 is bogus because he popped his hammy on the run. He jumped out of the gym otherwise.

In 4 years, I wouldn't be shocked if every member of this draft class is off the team.
I disagree in part. Mazi was a coveted player right around where he was drafted. Teams badly wanted him. This draft was massively short on difference making DT's like him.I think there might have been 3 dudes in all. Thats it. So he was going to be drafted earlier than he should have been. Dallas filled a need and they took the guy rated highest on their board. Todd Archer said they were interested in TE but not at 26. I believe this. I'm not thrilled with the draft we had but I am willing to wait and see before I declare it a reach draft. BTW. In 0 way is Nolan Smith better than Mazi and the guy can't finish a full year. They also play different positions. The guy has medical flags.

gtb1943

Reaction score
So you think the FO were just asleep when they took Schoonmaker when Torrence was available, or do you think we thought he'd fall to the 3rd???

No wonder Philbin's gone, I hear he was a traditionalist advocate of a LG....I understand Solari really dismisses the position, indeed the rumor is that he told Mike that he doesnt even want Tyler moving inside and that that he'd resign if we picked up Dalton Risner.
Holy crap a OL coach that pisses on a position? THAT is bad.

visionary

Reaction score
Some on this board think Duece is nepotism pick.
Whether he is or is not, I can live with potential in the 6th but we need a better number 2 behind Pollard because he is not lasting 17 games let alone playoffs as the starter

Our back up RB needs to be starting caliber RB for when (not if) Pollard goes down

baltcowboy

Reaction score
He’s a good player. I’d much rather roll the dice on him as a spell back than watch Zeke run for 2 yards and a pile of dust.
Watched some Michigan games last night to see more of Mazi and Schoonmaker. I saw Pollards replacement for next season. We drafting that little Michigan running back, Blake Curom.

visionary

Reaction score

Did you also “hear” that Solari wants to play with 4 OL and just get rid of the LOG position altogether LOL

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Whether he is or is not, I can live with potential in the 6th but we need a better number 2 behind Pollard because he is not lasting 17 games let alone playoffs as the starter

Our back up RB needs to be starting caliber RB for when (not if) Pollard goes down
Zeke is coming back. Jerry all but said it at the press conference. I hope I am wrong.