Post Draft Analysis

Dalmations202

Reaction score
When Dallas drafts well, they tend to take the best player available who falls to them. Eg Lamb, Diggs, Parsons.

When they draft badly, it's usually because they reach for need or to appease coaches. Eg Hill, Joseph, Taco.

Virtually every pick in this draft was a reach for need or for a coach's pet cat.

Day 1 was a bomb. Mazi over Nolan Smith is as pure an example of need over BPA as you will ever see. Ditto with Schoonmaker over Torrance on Day 2.

Day 3 looks like a bunch of no-hopers to me. Fehoko's ceiling is Chauncey Golston. No RB has succeeded with a size-speed combo as poor as Deuce Vaughn's since the Clinton administration. Eric Scott is the one guy who may have a shot - apparently his 4.7 40 is bogus because he popped his hammy on the run. He jumped out of the gym otherwise.

In 4 years, I wouldn't be shocked if every member of this draft class is off the team.
While I understand where you are coming from, and I would have taken Nolan Smith and OCyrus Torrence if I was doing it, look at it from a different angle.
1) Mazi Smith was a 2nd round grade along with everyone else not named Nolan Smith. They drafted for need, but also because they took SWilliams last year, and apparently didn't see him as a MLB. Also he had almost no chance to start over Parsons nor the DE's. Mazi will probably start, and keep Hankins more healthy.
2) Schoonmaker was a want not a need. They wanted a TE, I assume because they thought Torrence wouldn't start over Smith, Smith, Badasz, Martin or Steele. Why draft a back OL when you can draft a starting TE.
3) Overshown -- they must have seen in him what I saw they needed. A MLB that could give Parsons some ability to play other positions and still provide rush and coverage. I thought NSmith, JCampbell, or DSanders, but since they were gone here, they took Overshown. Could be an awesome piece that keeps Micah fresh later on in the year.
4) Fehoko -- getting a guy with that motor who might have a year or two behind tank, and be able to take over for him......nice pickup in the 4th.
5) Asim Richards -- developmental OL......see above with Schoonmaker....they think enough of their line, but added another anyway.
6) Eric Scott -- CB -- very good draft for TE and CB.....I would have preferred Jones from A&M but they have darn sure seen more film than I have.
6b) Deuce -- playmaker. If you don't need any back to take the ball 25 times a game due to wear and tear......Pollard 15, Jones 8, Deuce 7, and maybe one or two for Luekpe.
7) WR. ........just another WR to compete, but you aren't exactly hurting at WR this year anyway with CD, Cooks, and Gallup getting most of the plays and determining if Fehoko, and Tolbert can help, and seeing if you can integrate Turpin. And Dallas has a couple others that might surprise.

So their top two guys are guys who probably will start, instead of guys who while talented, might not have a place to start right away.
The first pick was need, but we have needed a legit 1T for years.....He might take this D up a level.
The next two were want picks........but understandable.
The last days picks all have a chance to contribute.

While you wouldn't be shocked if every member of this class were off the team, I wouldn't be shocked if all but one make the team and contribute. There is always one though.

doomsday9084

Reaction score
Dallas walked into the draft with the following needs (according to various fans and pundits):
RB, DT, LG, TE, WR, LB. There were also people who wanted depth for DE and CB to replace people leaving soon.

There was no possible way for Dallas to plug all those holes with quality players. Particularly given that Dallas was picking late in a draft without a lot of high end talent.

They probably plugged the DT and TE holes. They might have plugged the RB and LB holes. The WR issue is in the eye of the beholder. If you think that Tolbert has no future and that Gallup / Cooks are crap then that looks like a pretty big issue. If you don't, then not so much.

Overall, there is a wide range for how this class could work out. Might be pretty good. Might suck. I do think there is a glass ceiling on it. There is no player here who could have a Micah or CeeDee like impact.

roarr

Reaction score
This is all fairly accurate...but changes nothing about how terrible of a draft we just had.
Yes it does... It means they know WAY more than you about what makes a good draft. If Mazi and Schoon end up being above average starters, this is a B+ draft. If one of the next two becomes a Pro Bowler? Or Asim becomes a starter? And Vaughan becomes a playmaker? It's an A...

The floor on this draft is very high honestly. First two picks seem like sure fire NFL starters.

Malhavoc

Reaction score
Yes it does... It means they know WAY more than you about what makes a good draft. If Mazi and Schoon end up being above average starters, this is a B+ draft. If one of the next two becomes a Pro Bowler? Or Asim becomes a starter? And Vaughan becomes a playmaker? It's an A...

The floor on this draft is very high honestly. First two picks seem like sure fire NFL starters.
After the last 2 drafts, I realized how full of it this fan base is. None of them will admit it but the way they reacted after the Parsons pick and then the Tyler Smith pick was insane. Even after being proven absolutely wrong, they are back at it this year. There are a few here that provide real insight and are generally fair to the process and results. Most are not. This will all work itself out on the field. There we get the true answers.

TasteMyScythe

Reaction score
You know, all off season I enjoyed reading the player/team evaluation posts some of you posted and I can appreciate the time and effort that was put in to it...easy to see the passion some of you have for the team and the game. But, I'm a little turned off by the whining and nose wiping about why we drafted so and so and not draft so and so...the drafting of players is about the evolution of rosters over time. You never know how a rookie is going to grow and fit in to the puzzle of team chemistry...these rookies that we drafted deserve the benefit of the doubt until proving otherwise (usually 3 years). I would think most of you, especially the ones who have spent numerous hours reading and evaluating players can understand that. If you expect a rookie to come in and be the harbinger to team greatness than you don't have a clue. Forget about the value/round a player was chosen in and look at the potential the player brings to the team.

exciter

Reaction score
The TE does has talent...but my biggest problem is why draft a run blocking TE and not a better pass catching TE?

No one beat up on the Eagles and 49ers running the ball for 200 yards...you gotta be able to beat them thew the air.
George Kittle had just over 700 yard receiving in 4 seasons in college. His season high rec was 22. Don’t confuse being woefully underused as a receiver as inability to do so. When given his chances as a receiver in Harbaugh’s power run offense Schoonmaker was really good in that capacity!

drawandstrike

Reaction score
We went deeper in the playoffs this year. Progress! Always a good sign.

But the improving defense while maintaining a high level offense is the key to going further.

21 teams finished better against the run last year than Dallas did in total ground yardage surrendered. Dallas' D's 9 TD's surrendered was pretty damn good; they tied the Titans at 9 and only the Steelers and Patriots were better with 7 TD's surrendered.

The Eagles were a league-leading 3,057 yards surrendered in the air, while Dallas had a respectable 3,406, good enough for 8th in passing defense. Its in TD's surrendered in the air that Dallas has a significant weakness. While Dallas intercepted opponents 16 times, they gave 23 TD's in the air.

We were a top 10 team against the pass, but in the 20's against the run.

So from my study of the offense & defensive sides of the ball going into this draft, the 3 key needs were: on offense we need to shore up the running game, which has been productive, and make sure there's no drop off now that Ezekiel Elliot is gone, while seeking to upgrade a spot or two on the Oline. On defense we need to beef up the interior line and improve the run-stopping game as well as cut down on the # TD's we've been giving up in the air.

Dallas always seems to be productive in the free agency hunt, finding 2-3 impact players out of every draft, so the top 7 Draft Picks should not looked at as the sum total of results of this draft. There is a lot of work that goes into evaluating the guys who didn't get selected by round 7, and Dallas' scouts have done a very good job finding guys like Cooper Rush and Cole Beasley.

Looking at the 7 picks, Dallas went defense with 4 of the first 6 picks, with the two offensive picks being a TE and a OT, pretty much as expected. Going DT, LB, DE & CB shows the emphasis in the early rounds was shoring up the run defense. Dallas can improve on the #8 passing defense as many of the young guys on the team get more experience and coaching this year, there should be no drop off there. But that #22 run defense, that has GOT to go. To be fully competitive with rising Eagles and Giants teams, Dallas can't be finishing back in the 20's against the ground game.

So the general OUTLINE of the draft made sense to me. Whether these are the particular players they should have taken, that's debatable.

Croomraider

Reaction score
I never want a DT in the first but I know everyone in this forum is obssessed with DT and I guess so is Parsons. SO there ya'll go lol. There was also a run on Wideouts and corners right before our pick, so I don't mind picking defense.

Schoonmaker looks pretty good from what I saw. Makes me think we're going to use him in a bunch of play action screen routes like we did with Dalton.

Love the Overshown pick.

Love the Deuce pick.

Wish we would have gotten a kicker, but I say that every year.

timb2

Reaction score
My thoughts on the Cowboys Draft

1- Mazi Smith- I'm cool with it. He will do the dirty work and clog the trenches.

2- Luke Schoomaker- I'm OK with it. Bigger target at TE. Can do it all and won't have to be replaced by a better blocker or receiver on plays.

3- DeMarvion Overshown- Good athlete paired with Parsons could be flying around the field.

4- Villami Fehoko- Not happy because other players who were still available. Not a bad player but with a crowded edge depth here in BIG D. I don't see him anywhere as a starter in the future.

5- Asim Richards- I like him. He can play OT or OG.

6- Eric Scott- Finally competition for scrubs Kelvin Joseph & Nashon Wright.

6- Deuce Vaughn- Not digging grabbing a Hobbit. Hope he proves me wrong. Front Office Dad works for the Cowboys. So I believe a bad pick. The teammates will say " Daddy got you your job". Liability if he has to pick up a blitz..

7- Jalen Brooks- Meh!! I think he will likely get lost in our crowded WR depth. I actually like UDFA Jalen Moreno- Cropper to make the roster before him.

UDFA
Like to make the team

Jalen Moreno- Cropper
Earl Bostick
Princeton Fant
Isiah Land
Durrell Johnson

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Not ideal...if we're going to run more 11 personnel like he did in GB we need WRs.

Let's just cross our fingers and hope the best 5 play OL and Tolbert makes a massive step forward in year 2. I loved him as a prospect - so fingers crossed.
You keep mentioning 'what he did in GB'...its obvious he's moved on and he's going to play more 12 personnel.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
The TE does has talent...but my biggest problem is why draft a run blocking TE and not a better pass catching TE?

No one beat up on the Eagles and 49ers running the ball for 200 yards...you gotta be able to beat them thew the air.
We did beat up on the Eagles in the air. Youre wrong about the 9ers, the reason we lost is that we couldnt/didn't successfully run the ball ......just look at Jimmie Wards comments from previous year about sitting in coverage.
It's conceivable we think Malik or RoJo can do a decent enough RB2 job with better blocking?
Another consideration was that our Offense was too predictable, Schoonmaker provides both receiving and blocking.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
This is all fairly accurate...but changes nothing about how terrible of a draft we just had.
It's a terrible draft class period, especially picking at 26. I can see why you don't like our choices, especially as you wanted money positions.
You've openly stated you didn't like Gallup (even pre-injury) and obviously didn't have faith in Tolbert (a 3rd Rd, who should have gone in 4th), from a small school who by all accounts needed time to acclimatise (as MOST 4th Rders do).

cnuball21

Reaction score
we can grade this draft 1 year from now. Lets give it a chance. I wasnt thrilled but I trust Will McClay. The UDFA class we just signed is part of this. Ill say this, for better or worse, Mike M and DQ seem to have a plan and are on the same page. We drafted big fast nasty,physical ball players.
I do trust McClay and DQ...but what did we do to help our chances in the playoffs against Philly and SF?
Dak's win rate is over 90% when:
- Cowboys rush for over 100 yards.
- Cowboys hold the opponent to less than 140 yards rushing.

It bumps up to over 95% if a 3rd criteria is added: Rush for over 4.5 yards per carry.
So is 90% of NFL QBs.

cnuball21

Reaction score
When Dallas drafts well, they tend to take the best player available who falls to them. Eg Lamb, Diggs, Parsons.

When they draft badly, it's usually because they reach for need or to appease coaches. Eg Hill, Joseph, Taco.

Virtually every pick in this draft was a reach for need or for a coach's pet cat.

Day 1 was a bomb. Mazi over Nolan Smith is as pure an example of need over BPA as you will ever see. Ditto with Schoonmaker over Torrance on Day 2.

Day 3 looks like a bunch of no-hopers to me. Fehoko's ceiling is Chauncey Golston. No RB has succeeded with a size-speed combo as poor as Deuce Vaughn's since the Clinton administration. Eric Scott is the one guy who may have a shot - apparently his 4.7 40 is bogus because he popped his hammy on the run. He jumped out of the gym otherwise.

In 4 years, I wouldn't be shocked if every member of this draft class is off the team.
It’s just wild man. If we’re going to reach to draft a bunch of TEs, Gs and WRs.

cnuball21

Reaction score
It's a terrible draft class period, especially picking at 26. I can see why you don't like our choices, especially as you wanted money positions.
You've openly stated you didn't like Gallup (even pre-injury) and obviously didn't have faith in Tolbert (a 3rd Rd, who should have gone in 4th), from a small school who by all accounts needed time to acclimatise (as MOST 4th Rders do).
I thought this draft actually lined up really
really well for our needs.

We just executed really really poorly.

cnuball21

Reaction score
We did beat up on the Eagles in the air. Youre wrong about the 9ers, the reason we lost is that we couldnt/didn't successfully run the ball ......just look at Jimmie Wards comments from previous year about sitting in coverage.
It's conceivable we think Malik or RoJo can do a decent enough RB2 job with better blocking?
Another consideration was that our Offense was too predictable, Schoonmaker provides both receiving and blocking.
We beat the Eagles bc our QB was perfect. We lost to the Eagles bc our QB wasn’t perfect. The FO is asking him to be Mahomes, which he isn’t, without adequate weapons that other non Mahomes are equipped with.

The 49ers strength is their front 7 and their weakness is their secondary. No one beat them or scored a lot of point in them running the ball.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
I thought this draft actually lined up really
really well for our needs.

We just executed really really poorly.
You wanted WR's, of which we don't need. You don't like our Corp outside of CeeDee and Cooks and are still under the misguided assumption that MM is going to 4 WR sets as he did when he had AARON RODGERS.
Different team, different QB talents. You've looked at individuals, the FO have looked at the needs schematically (eg run blocking TE).
This wasn't the draft to get stars (especially at 26) so rather than fill the roster by position eg the choice to take Schoon over Torrence.
Your expectations haven't been met, not because of the draft, but how we've viewed the problem and how to rectify it ..... the issue wasn't necessarily the weapons, it was more an inability to vary the approach (especially when a certain team's defense can saturate the secondary, which kills Dak)....we've improved the receiving Corp (Cooks) and running options (Schoon, who's blocking assists will hopefully assist our RB2/3 if they're pressed into play).

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
We beat the Eagles bc our QB was perfect. We lost to the Eagles bc our QB wasn’t perfect. The FO is asking him to be Mahomes, which he isn’t, without adequate weapons that other non Mahomes are equipped with.

The 49ers strength is their front 7 and their weakness is their secondary. No one beat them or scored a lot of point in them running the ball.
Read Jimmie Ward's boast ,season before last, about how they approach and beat Dak.

cnuball21

Reaction score
You wanted WR's, of which we don't need. You don't like our Corp outside of CeeDee and Cooks and are still under the misguided assumption that MM is going to 4 WR sets as he did when he had AARON RODGERS.
Different team, different QB talents. You've looked at individuals, the FO have looked at the needs schematically (eg run blocking TE).
This wasn't the draft to get stars (especially at 26) so rather than fill the roster by position eg the choice to take Schoon over Torrence.
Your expectations haven't been met, not because of the draft, but how we've viewed the problem and how to rectify it ..... the issue wasn't necessarily the weapons, it was more an inability to vary the approach (especially when a certain team's defense can saturate the secondary, which kills Dak)....we've improved the receiving Corp (Cooks) and running options (Schoon, who's blocking assists will hopefully assist our RB2/3 if they're pressed into play).
Why do you keep hammering on me wanting WRs? I’d like for us to add competition to the WR room but if we would’ve just drafted talent over need and not taken a single WR I would’ve been happy.