- Reaction score
While I understand where you are coming from, and I would have taken Nolan Smith and OCyrus Torrence if I was doing it, look at it from a different angle.When Dallas drafts well, they tend to take the best player available who falls to them. Eg Lamb, Diggs, Parsons.
When they draft badly, it's usually because they reach for need or to appease coaches. Eg Hill, Joseph, Taco.
Virtually every pick in this draft was a reach for need or for a coach's pet cat.
Day 1 was a bomb. Mazi over Nolan Smith is as pure an example of need over BPA as you will ever see. Ditto with Schoonmaker over Torrance on Day 2.
Day 3 looks like a bunch of no-hopers to me. Fehoko's ceiling is Chauncey Golston. No RB has succeeded with a size-speed combo as poor as Deuce Vaughn's since the Clinton administration. Eric Scott is the one guy who may have a shot - apparently his 4.7 40 is bogus because he popped his hammy on the run. He jumped out of the gym otherwise.
In 4 years, I wouldn't be shocked if every member of this draft class is off the team.
1) Mazi Smith was a 2nd round grade along with everyone else not named Nolan Smith. They drafted for need, but also because they took SWilliams last year, and apparently didn't see him as a MLB. Also he had almost no chance to start over Parsons nor the DE's. Mazi will probably start, and keep Hankins more healthy.
2) Schoonmaker was a want not a need. They wanted a TE, I assume because they thought Torrence wouldn't start over Smith, Smith, Badasz, Martin or Steele. Why draft a back OL when you can draft a starting TE.
3) Overshown -- they must have seen in him what I saw they needed. A MLB that could give Parsons some ability to play other positions and still provide rush and coverage. I thought NSmith, JCampbell, or DSanders, but since they were gone here, they took Overshown. Could be an awesome piece that keeps Micah fresh later on in the year.
4) Fehoko -- getting a guy with that motor who might have a year or two behind tank, and be able to take over for him......nice pickup in the 4th.
5) Asim Richards -- developmental OL......see above with Schoonmaker....they think enough of their line, but added another anyway.
6) Eric Scott -- CB -- very good draft for TE and CB.....I would have preferred Jones from A&M but they have darn sure seen more film than I have.
6b) Deuce -- playmaker. If you don't need any back to take the ball 25 times a game due to wear and tear......Pollard 15, Jones 8, Deuce 7, and maybe one or two for Luekpe.
7) WR. ........just another WR to compete, but you aren't exactly hurting at WR this year anyway with CD, Cooks, and Gallup getting most of the plays and determining if Fehoko, and Tolbert can help, and seeing if you can integrate Turpin. And Dallas has a couple others that might surprise.
So their top two guys are guys who probably will start, instead of guys who while talented, might not have a place to start right away.
The first pick was need, but we have needed a legit 1T for years.....He might take this D up a level.
The next two were want picks........but understandable.
The last days picks all have a chance to contribute.
While you wouldn't be shocked if every member of this class were off the team, I wouldn't be shocked if all but one make the team and contribute. There is always one though.