Post Draft Analysis

morasp

Reaction score
I did a round by round analysis of our picks and the WRs available. I went into w/o expectation trying to find the round that we could have drafted a WR that would have been an upgrade to Gallup and Tolbert. In the end I decided they made the right picks. I do think Schoonmaker will be a receiving threat by the end of the season and will be a big upgrade on the OL on both passing and running downs.

Gaede

Reaction score
I would hate that
Zeke is done
Can’t be sentimental as a GM but the Joneses are morons
I have zero problems with Zeke being the third RB and coming in in short yardage situations only. The problem will be the coaching staff asking him to do too much

EMMITTnROY

Reaction score
I thought Schoonmaker was taken too early but he’s become really underrated on this board.

Dude ran a 4.63 and his athleticism is off the charts. And he’s a great blocker. One of the best pass catching/blocking combo TEs in the draft.

Yeah he’s old for a rookie… but that should mean he’s more ready to contribute right away.

cnuball21

Reaction score
I did a round by round analysis of our picks and the WRs available. I went into w/o expectation trying to find the round that we could have drafted a WR that would have been an upgrade to Gallup and Tolbert. In the end I decided they made the right picks. I do think Schoonmaker will be a receiving threat by the end of the season and will be a big upgrade on the OL on both passing and running downs.
Josh Downs was widely considering a 2nd round prospect and absolutely dominated at UNC the last 2 years.

He’s a better prospect than MG or Tolbert ever were, and would be a day 1 slot
starter for us.

morasp

Reaction score
Josh Downs was widely considering a 2nd round prospect and absolutely dominated at UNC the last 2 years.

starter for us.
you know me I did a whole write up pre draft about how they needed offensive playmakers. I liked Downs he could be an upgrade to both those guys but he can't block. The other side of the coin against the 49ers this year was our running game. Zeke ran for 10/26 and Pollard ran for 6/22 and I don't think they were stacking the box. They felt that our TEs weren't good at blocking on run downs and from what I looked at it seems like a good assessment. I could be wrong but if we could get a somewhat credible running game going it would help open up the play action passing game.

Last edited:

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
I thought Schoonmaker was taken too early but he’s become really underrated on this board.

Dude ran a 4.63 and his athleticism is off the charts. And he’s a great blocker. One of the best pass catching/blocking combo TEs in the draft.

Yeah he’s old for a rookie… but that should mean he’s more ready to contribute right away.
Yea, but you have to take players early if you're looking for specific traits at specific positions, and to be fair 2 TE's went before we picked again. It's obvious that MM has an idea of how we're going to play and Schoonmaker (with catch/block skills) fits that need.

Cavanaugh made a decent comment about this draft indicating that we're about as ALL-IN as we've been in a long time.

cnuball21

Reaction score
I liked Downs he could be an upgrade to both those guys but he can't block.
I mean…who cares?

A lack of WR blocking isn’t what kept us from beating SF.

Downs, or Tilman, or Mims. Probably a few others I’m not even thinking about.

Malhavoc

Reaction score

starter for us.
If we were going to take WR in round 2 he would have been my guy. Really like the player.

cnuball21

Reaction score
If we were going to take WR in round 2 he would have been my guy. Really like the player.
And my biggest thing on a slot stud is Dak LOVED throwing to Beas as a rookie. LOVED it.

Lamb / Cooks / Downs and we go from having laughable weapons heading into the playoffs last year to having one of the best WR rooms in the NFC.

morasp

Reaction score
I mean…who cares?

I updated my post after you responded but we probably won't have a meeting of minds anyway so it's not worth arguing about. Our run game was also putrid. Like always I could be wrong but I think Schoonmaker will turn out to be plus starter for us. On the other hand you could be right too.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
I mean…who cares?

No, it was the inability to run the ball once Tony went down, which meant the 9'ers could sit in coverage and force Dak to beat them which he couldnt do and which interestingly was something he also failed to do the previous year when he had CeeDee and Amari.

Just look at Jimmie Wards comment in Jan 2021 about how they beat Dak, they think he cant beat a crowded secondary (regardless of the wr corp).

morasp

Reaction score
No, it was the inability to run the ball once Tony went down, which meant the 9'ers could sit in coverage and force Dak to beat them which he couldnt do and which interestingly was something he also failed to do the previous year when he had CeeDee and Amari.

Just look at Jimmie Wards comment in Jan 2021 about how they beat Dak, they think he cant be a crowded secondary (regardless of the wr corp).
Exactly. If we could run the ball better the LBs keys would have to be run first pass second and the delay could change the whole dynamic of the passing game.

cnuball21

Reaction score
I updated my post after you responded but we probably won't have a meeting of minds anyway so it's not worth arguing about. Our run game was also putrid. Like always I could be wrong but I think Schoonmaker will turn out to be plus starter for us. On the other hand you could be right too.
Of course, but TP went down…when you’ve literally got 2 offensive weapons and 1 goes down your offense it toast. The ghost of Zeke wasn’t going to save us.

Flamma

Reaction score
So the sum of his negativity was he didnt like Schoonmaker, but didnt really say why, or factored in or mull over what kind of formations we're looking to play. He admitted that most were experts were higher on Overshown than himself and he appeared ok with the rest - meh.
I remember him saying he didn't like the TE pick because there was really no need, and there were better available players. Even at TE. He basically said he was a reach that didn't even improve the position. I do think the Overshown pick should have been a C at least.

I disagreed with him last year when he said our 2nd pick, Williams was a D. His main complaint was because we could have got him in the 3rd, maybe 4th. People have their own way of judging things. But he usually is very accurate.

Macnalty

Reaction score
The TE does has talent...but my biggest problem is why draft a run blocking TE and not a better pass catching TE?

No one beat up on the Eagles and 49ers running the ball for 200 yards...you gotta be able to beat them thew the air.
Totally agree, run defense and offense are side issues compared to how this offense functioned in the second half of the season. Anything that augments the passing game should be our highest priority and that includes beefing up the OLine.

cnuball21

Reaction score

Just look at Jimmie Wards comment in Jan 2021 about how they beat Dak, they think he cant beat a crowded secondary (regardless of the wr corp).
How many teams are going to run the ball well against the 49ers when their pro bowl RBs gets hurt? They’re tough enough against the best RBs in football.

Their front 7 is their strength and their back end is their weakness. Ceedee was the only offensive player winning consistently last year. It’s easy to sit in coverage when you only have 1 WR to worry about and your OC calls all curls 10 times a game.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Totally agree, run defense and offense are side issues compared to how this offense functioned in the second half of the season. Anything that augments the passing game should be our highest priority and that includes beefing up the OLine.
100%…the Cooks addition was a home run.

Adding another playmaker on O early would’ve been a grand slam but we didn’t.

I’m still high on Tolbert - just need him to take a big step forward next year and actually get an opportunity.

Flamma

Reaction score
If you agree with it you will find it good, if you don’t you’ll think it’s garbage.
Well sure. But I wasn't shocked when I saw A, D, D. It kind of confirmed what I was thinking. I was kind of hoping it would be better so that I can understand why.

morasp

Reaction score
Of course, but TP went down…when you’ve literally got 2 offensive weapons and 1 goes down your offense it toast. The ghost of Zeke wasn’t going to save us.
No. I think they knew that too and went in a different direction this season. TP wasn't lighting it up before the injury either. We can only speculate what he could have done with a little better run blocking. I also have no idea about LG but I do like the Richards pick and think he will be a good player for us. I just don't know how long that will take.

cnuball21

Reaction score
No. I think they knew that too and went in a different direction this season. TP wasn't lighting it up before the injury either. We can only speculate what he could have done with a little better run blocking. I also have no idea about LG but I do like the Richards pick and think he will be a good player for us. I just don't know how long that will take.
You’re right about TP but he was at least getting a yard more per carry and had a 10 yarder.

Yea - I’m honestly surprised we didn’t take a G early. But I guess that means it’ll be Tyler or they think they are good with Chuma. Richards might take a year or 2.