Post Draft Analysis

Malhavoc

Reaction score
But look at Dak and how he uses his TE's, and lets not forget we had to replace Schultz. Agree with everyone that mention Fergushot, however, Schoon also provides deception, being able to contribute in run and pass.

We obviously didnt like Torrence, or we thought we can find better....it's not as if we didnt see him up close and just because he was a visit doesnt mean we liked him when he left.
I agree with everything you said. He may not have been the best fit. I don’t dislike Schoonmaker, and I doubt that he would have been there in round 3.

Rayman70

Reaction score
That's one of the issues with this kind of draft where there isnt real consensus....just cant predict the unpredictable. Its a bit like last year, we were high on a number of TE's, but missed the run and had to settle for Ferguson. I suppose this year we wanted a two/way TE. I can see the concerns with a TE there, but assuming we didnt like Torrence (at all) then he filled the greatest need.
with Torrence, his issue was his feet. He had heavy slow feet. Thats what dropped him. We like athletic versatile guys with upside. I think the Asim Richards kid is that. I like him better in fact. Look how many starts that kid has. In his interview after we drafted him he said he can play center and Guard with no issue if asked. Talk about a potential steal!

Rayman70

Reaction score
I agree with everything you said. He may not have been the best fit. I don’t dislike Schoonmaker, and I doubt that he would have been there in round 3.
I agree that this draft was weak and unpredictable and hard to gage. I like Schoonmaker, just not in rd 2. We failed 2 draft a QB, but I see why. This years QB class was bloody bad. Bryce Young was the 1 guy then all the others were major risky. Levis and Richardson might be bagging groceries or selling insurance in 3-4 years.

Malhavoc

Reaction score
with Torrence, his issue was his feet. He had heavy slow feet. Thats what dropped him. We like athletic versatile guys with upside. I think the Asim Richards kid is that. I like him better in fact. Look how many starts that kid has. In his interview after we drafted him he said he can play center and Guard with no issue if asked. Talk about a potential steal!
And his jump in play from 2021 to 2022 was sizeable. He definitely has the talent and skill set to succeed at LG. I liked the pick a lot.

Rayman70

Reaction score
And his jump in play from 2021 to 2022 was sizeable. He definitely has the talent and skill set to succeed at LG. I liked the pick a lot.
Mac Brown loves this guy. He called him the best lineman he has coached in the last 20 years due to his grit and desire. He called him an ironman. Go look how many starts he has and games played. I am amazed he lasted this long.Reminds me of a better JEREMY PARNELL.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Ferguson was legit. We didnt need a TE in rd 2. If we wanted a blocker at Te just wait another rd, he would have been there. We were never drafting at TE at 26. We were interested in a TE but not early. If we wanted a pass catching TE why didnt we draft La porta? Thats because it was a smokescreen as far as wanting him at 26. The media took the bait. That said, I would have waited 1 more rd.
In a way you're answering your own question....we would of had to of have taken LaPorta in the 1st and by the time our 2nd pick came in there had already been a run on TE's: LaPorta, Mayer and Musgrave were all gone. It just shows that the FO were more concerned about getting a TE, over a guard a LG and it looks as if we were running out on those we highly regarded.

It looks as if the FO were ok with our WR room, and that we were comfortable passing on Sanders (for Overshown or possibly with Henly/Simpson/Winters all available). We didnt seem as 'desperate' for a RB as us amateurs appeared to be....indeed its possible we still like Rico/Malik.

If you like a player and are drafting late you sometimes have to reach (eg Sam and Tolbert).

cnuball21

Reaction score
dang..I think thats a bit harsh. Zeke is done. I believe that. But the backs that remained were flagged. Deuce was the cleanest guy left. Hey at very least he will be a returner and give us some juice.
I like Duece but Evans, McBride and McIntosh all would’ve been good positions too. Just a loaded class.

Rayman70

Reaction score
In a way you're answering your own question....we would of had to of have taken LaPorta in the 1st and by the time our 2nd pick came in there had already been a run on TE's: LaPorta, Mayer and Musgrave were all gone. It just shows that the FO were more concerned about getting a TE, over a guard a LG and it looks as if we were running out on those we highly regarded.

It looks as if the FO were ok with our WR room, and that we were comfortable passing on Sanders (for Overshown or possibly with Henly/Simpson/Winters all available). We didnt seem as 'desperate' for a RB as us amateurs appeared to be....indeed its possible we still like Rico/Malik.

If you like a player and are drafting late you sometimes have to reach (eg Sam and Tolbert).
we wanted a TE but never at 26. We wanted Mazi. Todd Archer even said it. If we wanted La porta as the rumor was 2 hours before the draft began , why didnt we just draft him at 26? Allegedly he was our top rated TE. Thats what they call a smokescreen. And no, Kincaid we didnt lose him to the Bills. The Bills just didnt wanna risk it so they jumped us. They knew we liked a TE but they didnt know when or who. Micah and DQ have text messages proving Mazi was the guy being focused on 3 hours before the draft. I don't understand all this TE misinfo that we somehow had to settle for Mazi because we lost Kincaid. Its just untrue. We fell in love with Mazi back in December .

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
we wanted a TE but never at 26. We wanted Mazi. Todd Archer even said it. If we wanted La porta as the rumor was 2 hours before the draft began , why didnt we just draft him at 26? Allegedly he was our top rated TE. Thats what they call a smokescreen. And no, Kincaid we didnt lose him to the Bills. The Bills just didnt wanna risk it so they jumped us. They knew we liked a TE but they didnt know when or who. Micah and DQ have text messages proving Mazi was the guy being focused on 3 hours before the draft. I don't understand all this TE misinfo that we somehow had to settle for Mazi because we lost Kincaid. Its just untrue. We fell in love with Mazi back in December .
I thought we were discussing Schoonmaker in the 2nd? We must of been particularly high on him and his skillsets as there were still enough TE's available.....the fact that after Torrence there were no real Guards available just shows how high were were on the Schoon.

Its quite probable that after those top 4 TE's had gone, we were nearly wiped out and the priority was that position (even though to us amateurs LG seemed the issue/need).

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Not picking on you but this is the most honest response as to why some people on this site lose their mInds on draft picks.

People here have actually convinced themselves that they are true prospect evaluators and their evaluations matter.
If you put the work in, which a small amount of people actually do, you know everything about the players, except their medicals/character which that info isn't usually available. There were better players to take and the Cowboys reached on almost every single selection. They had legitimate need areas and they chose not to address them with meanigful picks.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
When the Cowboys have been enamored with prospects, they've generally had success.

Frederick: The OL coach love love loved him as a prospect.
- Fans and draft media screamed that it was 2 rounds too early...
Martin: They had zero doubts about him.
Tyron: They were completely sold on him.
DLaw: They moved up in the 2nd to get him.
Dak: They spent more time with him prior to the draft than any prospect in the Jerry ownership era.

Not 100% sold on the pick:
Taco: Immediately after that draft Stephen Jones was shaking his head in dismay and literally said they might have screwed up by not drafting TJ Watt.
Jaylon Smith: They really really wanted 2 players that were drafted immediately before Jaylon.
Claiborne: They didn't have any contact with him and spent minimal time evaluating him because they assumed he would be long gone.
What was their reaction to picking these players?

Rayman70

Reaction score
He's 5'5", 180 lbs. He's not holding up in pass protection in the NFL.
Thats true. Which is why we better have a dang plan to get another bigger rb. Deuce will have his role. RJ aint the answer. Malik we just don't know enuff about to say hes the answer. I think in June we will be searching for a cheap vet.

Malhavoc

Reaction score
If you put the work in, which a small amount of people actually do, you know everything about the players, except their medicals/character which that info isn't usually available. There were better players to take and the Cowboys reached on almost every single selection. They had legitimate need areas and they chose not to address them with meanigful picks.
Based on what ? Your assessment as a professional scout ? The experts on this board ? Or is it the internet draft experts ? Folks are here are unbelievable.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
What the amateur does is look at players in a vacuum without adding the peripherals of how are team proposes to play schematically and also what they intend to do in remaining free agency. Of course we reached, we were picking late in the rounds as we did last year for Sam and Tolbert.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
So you think the FO were just asleep when they took Schoonmaker when Torrence was available, or do you think we thought he'd fall to the 3rd???

No wonder Philbin's gone, I hear he was a traditionalist advocate of a LG....I understand Solari really dismisses the position, indeed the rumor is that he told Mike that he doesnt even want Tyler moving inside and that that he'd resign if we picked up Dalton Risner.
Lol, where in the world did you read that?