Post Draft Analysis

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Lol, where in the world did you read that?
I josh about the brewing hysteria about our lack of LG. The very fact we passed over Torrence (even after meeting with him) for a two way (Block first) TE, indicates the value we placed on him as a linesman.....especially with the Eagles DT triumvirate. Its time for Jerry to open the check book again.....get Risner (isnt he only 2/3 years older than Schoon)?

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
I josh about the brewing hysteria about our lack of LG. The very fact we passed over Torrence (even after meeting with him) for a two way (Block first) TE, indicates the value we placed on him as a linesman.....especially with the Eagles DT triumvirate. Its time for Jerry to open the check book again.....get Risner (isnt he only 2/3 years older than Schoon)?
Ah, I gotcha.

InPhiltraitor

Reaction score
I don’t have as much of an issue with the draft in terms of the players selected as I have with the opportunities that may have been missed.

The Mazi pick was as much of an indictment of a porous run defense as it was a vote of confidence for the player drafted. My biggest concerns with Mazi are the non-transference of his strength and agility testing to the field of play, and what does he offer in two-minute drill situations? Does he see the field during the most critical time of the game? There were rumors that the Cowboys received an offer to trade the pick with KC. If true, was this a swing and a miss? Could have picked up an extra third here in exchange for a fifth?

I think we’re sleeping on Schoon. Playing at Michigan can have a way of masking athletic ability and making you less sexy in general. From what I saw when on campus, it filtered down to the student body, but I digress. Most importantly, when Schoon wants to set an edge, it’s gonna get set (See tape against Iowa). I won’t be surprised if he turns out to be the best selection from this class. As with the Mazi selection, was there a better option? Did the Bills steal the day by getting Torrence with pick 59?

I wrestle with the 3th pick a little as he feels like a utility puzzle piece but with solid options on the board was it too early to play these types of games? A forum member aptly labeled him, “Kearse 2.0”. With already having a very good Kearse 1.0 was Kearse 2.0 necessary here? Like the player, but this one rubs me as being the annoyingly overstated, “a round too soon” type of selection.

Pick four forces me to put my faith in Quinn and Company. Personally, not a fan of positionless D-lineman. Can he be stout enough to play on the interior (Is this room getting crowded?) and definitely not “bendy” enough to be an effective edge rusher. I get it, motor, violent hands, and other fun stuff, but does he find a home? In fairness, I didn’t watch the game at Auburn which may provide the best barometer of the player. Again, I may have preferred other selections that were taken behind us just in this round (Tyler Scott, Cinci.).

I like the unassuming 5th selection. For a guy (Asim) that didn’t start playing offensive line until half-way through his Sr. year in high school, he’s come a long way and got a lot of snaps under his belt in a short amount of time. More comfortable at tackles since that’s where he has started 37 games. Has been working out at guard with the expected move to be kicked inside. Needs work but has room to grow, and since I’ve got no confidence in our pool of O-line reserves, I’m o.k. with the dude.

Can’t convince me giving up a 5th rounder next year for a 6th rounder this year was the move here. Scott reportedly didn’t crack Dane’s Top 300 list and has been listed as UDFA or practice squad player material by other notable draft agencies. Without batting an eye, I can name five other viable options from this round I would have preferred.

Your feeling on the Deuce selection should be based upon one thing and it’s not Deuce. If you believe the running back room is in good shape if/when Pollard goes down this year, then the Deuce selection as a 5-10 touches a game player, is a good pick. If you’re not a fan of Malik Davis as you’re lead back, then it’s not. In recent years I haven’t really witnessed the Cowboys utilizing players that have skill sets such as Deuce’s to their advantage, so I’m naturally skeptical of this polarizing selection.

The 7th round selection doesn’t wow with athleticism but limited catches show a guy that works the middle of field well and looks like a hands catcher. Can’t be too critical in the 7th but I have a feeling this guy’s going to have difficulty fending off Cropper from Fresno State.

Can’t say it’s a top-tier class but then it’s not bad either. I would grade it a “C” with the realistic max. potential being a “B”. I can’t be swayed to believe this draft wasn’t anything but need centric and I think it detracted from this draft’s potential. But if it turns out to be a “B” class there’s nothing wrong with that.

Spottswoode

Reaction score
If you put the work in, which a small amount of people actually do, you know everything about the players, except their medicals/character which that info isn't usually available. There were better players to take and the Cowboys reached on almost every single selection. They had legitimate need areas and they chose not to address them with meanigful picks.
Fair enough…people can draw their own conclusions. I know where I stand.

For now, the draft is over, so it’s back to the shadows.

It’s been real, it’s been fun, and for some, it’s been real funny. ✌️

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
I thought it would be a defense heavy draft.

Ever since Dan Quinn turned down a good opportunity for a head coaching job I was thinking Jerry must have convinced him that he was going to give him the opportunity to build a top defense here.
No, he did that with $

cnuball21

Reaction score
What the amateur does is look at players in a vacuum without adding the peripherals of how are team proposes to play schematically and also what they intend to do in remaining free agency. Of course we reached, we were picking late in the rounds as we did last year for Sam and Tolbert.
Of course we do this for fun but I don’t agree. Some of us talk about scheme fit as part of the eval.

Cowboy is one of the best on here so I’ll vouch for him on doing his homework more than most.

Malhavoc

Reaction score
What the amateur does is look at players in a vacuum without adding the peripherals of how are team proposes to play schematically and also what they intend to do in remaining free agency. Of course we reached, we were picking late in the rounds as we did last year for Sam and Tolbert.
Teams and scouts get it wrong. But there is no one and I mean no one here that does the work of a scout. Watching tape, working out players, going to a Pro Day. It’s beyond arrogant it’s delusional.

drawandstrike

Reaction score
I don’t have as much of an issue with the draft in terms of the players selected as I have with the opportunities that may have been missed.

The Mazi pick was as much of an indictment of a porous run defense as it was a vote of confidence for the player drafted. My biggest concerns with Mazi are the non-transference of his strength and agility testing to the field of play, and what does he offer in two-minute drill situations? Does he see the field during the most critical time of the game? There were rumors that the Cowboys received an offer to trade the pick with KC. If true, was this a swing and a miss? Could have picked up an extra third here in exchange for a fifth?

I think we’re sleeping on Schoon. Playing at Michigan can have a way of masking athletic ability and making you less sexy in general. From what I saw when on campus, it filtered down to the student body, but I digress. Most importantly, when Schoon wants to set an edge, it’s gonna get set (See tape against Iowa). I won’t be surprised if he turns out to be the best selection from this class. As with the Mazi selection, was there a better option? Did the Bills steal the day by getting Torrence with pick 59?

I wrestle with the 3th pick a little as he feels like a utility puzzle piece but with solid options on the board was it too early to play these types of games? A forum member aptly labeled him, “Kearse 2.0”. With already having a very good Kearse 1.0 was Kearse 2.0 necessary here? Like the player, but this one rubs me as being the annoyingly overstated, “a round too soon” type of selection.

Pick four forces me to put my faith in Quinn and Company. Personally, not a fan of positionless D-lineman. Can he be stout enough to play on the interior (Is this room getting crowded?) and definitely not “bendy” enough to be an effective edge rusher. I get it, motor, violent hands, and other fun stuff, but does he find a home? In fairness, I didn’t watch the game at Auburn which may provide the best barometer of the player. Again, I may have preferred other selections that were taken behind us just in this round (Tyler Scott, Cinci.).

I like the unassuming 5th selection. For a guy (Asim) that didn’t start playing offensive line until half-way through his Sr. year in high school, he’s come a long way and got a lot of snaps under his belt in a short amount of time. More comfortable at tackles since that’s where he has started 37 games. Has been working out at guard with the expected move to be kicked inside. Needs work but has room to grow, and since I’ve got no confidence in our pool of O-line reserves, I’m o.k. with the dude.

Can’t convince me giving up a 5th rounder next year for a 6th rounder this year was the move here. Scott reportedly didn’t crack Dane’s Top 300 list and has been listed as UDFA or practice squad player material by other notable draft agencies. Without batting an eye, I can name five other viable options from this round I would have preferred.

Your feeling on the Deuce selection should be based upon one thing and it’s not Deuce. If you believe the running back room is in good shape if/when Pollard goes down this year, then the Deuce selection as a 5-10 touches a game player, is a good pick. If you’re not a fan of Malik Davis as you’re lead back, then it’s not. In recent years I haven’t really witnessed the Cowboys utilizing players that have skill sets such as Deuce’s to their advantage, so I’m naturally skeptical of this polarizing selection.

The 7th round selection doesn’t wow with athleticism but limited catches show a guy that works the middle of field well and looks like a hands catcher. Can’t be too critical in the 7th but I have a feeling this guy’s going to have difficulty fending off Cropper from Fresno State.

Can’t say it’s a top-tier class but then it’s not bad either. I would grade it a “C” with the realistic max. potential being a “B”. I can’t be swayed to believe this draft wasn’t anything but need centric and I think it detracted from this draft’s potential. But if it turns out to be a “B” class there’s nothing wrong with that.
Very well thought out post about this current draft.

One of the reasons we didn't need to make any huge moves is because we're a playoff contender and we don't really have that many holes. We have a very nice mix of very few 'oldsters', 2-4 year guys and pretty damn good class of rookies the last 2 years. Those young guys are only going to get better with more experience on the field and coaching.

So Jerry didn't NEED to make any dramatic trades to grab some 'must have' player. My concerns going into this draft, when looking at the depth chart were RB and interior DLine with an emphasis on stopping the run.

We were top 10 last year vs pass [despite giving up 23 TD's in the air] but were 22nd in the league vs the run [despite giving up only 9 rushing TD's all year - which points to excellent red zone/goal line D]

I think Mazi helps the run defense by clogging the middle and as one commentator said earlier, demanding double teams which free up the pass rushers. Somebody mentioned we haven't had that huge body in the middle of the Dline lince Jason Hatcher left to go to Washington.

I don't think our problems last year were personnel-related as much as they were having a predictable offense that sputtered when defenses shut down the air game and then we struggled to run the ball. Kellen Moore moving on may upgrade our offense some, we have to wait and see how the early games go this season to make that determination. On the defensive side we were scheming to shut down the pass between the 40's and were excellent at shutting down the run in the Red Zone...which is why teams threw 23 TD's on us vs 9 running scores. A little more seasoning of the young secondary guys, some scheme adjustments and of course new personnel from the draft/FA and we have a real shot at improving on our 8th rated pass defense while reducing the # of air scores into the low 10's.

I do not think this team lost all that much, and has made moves to find replacements at TE and RB while addressing the weak run defense. I understand people who want an 'exciting' draft full of hoopla and big moves are unhappy right now, but the fact is our team didn't NEED to make any dramatic moves because they took care of business in the last few drafts. :)

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Fair enough…people can draw their own conclusions. I know where I stand.

For now, the draft is over, so it’s back to the shadows.

It’s been real, it’s been fun, and for some, it’s been real funny. ✌️
I will root and support for our new Cowboys and look forward moving ahead with this group.

Flamma

Reaction score
Here's a pretty good break down of each NFC East team's draft. The Cowboys are first, so you don't have to wait long. I pretty much agree. Mostly.

gtb1943

Reaction score
This draft was fairly deep with good talent; not great. I think that is what made it so hard to figure out; and why teams disagreed so much on so many players.
They were looking for more then was actually there.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Here's a pretty good break down of each NFC East team's draft. The Cowboys are first, so you don't have to wait long. I pretty much agree. Mostly.

So the sum of his negativity was he didnt like Schoonmaker, but didnt really say why, or factored in or mull over what kind of formations we're looking to play. He admitted that most were experts were higher on Overshown than himself and he appeared ok with the rest - meh.

Malhavoc

Reaction score

If you agree with it you will find it good, if you don’t you’ll think it’s garbage.

morasp

Reaction score
Mick had an interesting stat on when our five losses and rushing yards allowed.

morasp

Reaction score
George Kittle had just over 700 yard receiving in 4 seasons in college. His season high rec was 22. Don’t confuse being woefully underused as a receiver as inability to do so. When given his chances as a receiver in Harbaugh’s power run offense Schoonmaker was really good in that capacity!
Tood Archer shared an interesting stat about Schoonmaker. He was second to the Georgia starting TE not Washington in receiving yards on crossing routes.