Post Draft Analysis

cnuball21

Reaction score
The Cowboys went into the draft with offensive playmakers being the biggest reason we didn’t make a playoff run.

I could break down each pick but to make it short and sweet we drafted a pass blocking TE, a 5’5 RB (who I do like) and a 7th round WR.

Incredibly disappointing IMO. I always talk about talent over need, but if you’re going to reach I at least wish we would’ve done it more so on offensive play makers early and often.

Gaede

Reaction score
The Cowboys went into the draft with offensive playmakers being the biggest reason we didn’t make a playoff run.

I could break down each pick but to make it short and sweet we drafted a pass blocking TE, a 5’5 RB (who I do like) and a 7th round WR.

Incredibly disappointing IMO. I always talk about talent over need, but if you’re going to reach I at least wish we would’ve done it more so on offensive play makers early and often.
Agreed. We needed help and speed on offense and didn't get any.

I love Deuce, but he's a role player. Schoonmaker is a 25 yr old rookie whose most productive season yielded 400 yds.

In a nutshell, we wasted our premium picks in 2 and 3 on niche players when we needed more from this draft.

Hoov

Reaction score
I thought it would be a defense heavy draft.

Ever since Dan Quinn turned down a good opportunity for a head coaching job I was thinking Jerry must have convinced him that he was going to give him the opportunity to build a top defense here.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Agreed. We needed help and speed on offense and didn't get any.

I love Deuce, but we he's a role player. Schoonmaker is a 25 yr old rookie whose most productive season yielded 400 yds.

In a nutshell, we wasted our premium picks in 2 and 3 on niche players when we needed more from this draft.
It's just so frustrating b/c I honestly believe this team is SO close to being able to get to the Super Bowl.

Macnalty

Reaction score

Deuce the RB is a player you want on your side, he can play some football. Ask any Sooner what they think about Deuce. If you do not respect his talent he will make you pay. The TE is not so bad, maybe drafted a little early but he has talent, he is going to be a handful to cover on short passes, which is what a TE eats for lunch. I do agree this was not an offensive draft, I feel like we better light some candles for the offensive line when we start to play the divisional games. Let's see who earns a pedestal during training camp.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Deuce the RB is a player you want on your side, he can play some football. Ask any Sooner what they think about Deuce. If you do not respect his talent he will make you pay. The TE is not so bad, maybe drafted a little early but he has talent, he is going to be a handful to cover on short passes, which is what a TE eats for lunch. I do agree this was not an offensive draft, I feel like we better light some candles for the offensive line when we start to play the divisional games. Let's see who earns a pedestal during training camp.
The TE does has talent...but my biggest problem is why draft a run blocking TE and not a better pass catching TE?

No one beat up on the Eagles and 49ers running the ball for 200 yards...you gotta be able to beat them thew the air.

Cowboyny

Reaction score

With the the time and effort many of us put in throughout the offseason process and to get this result, it makes many of us so upset:

-I feel they reached on every single pick, expect Vaughn in the 6th rd, who I think was just picked cause of his Dad working as a scout with the team.
-MM should be furious as his offense needed more weapons and had real holes to fill at LG, RB, TE, WR and all he got was a blocking TE.
-Dan Quinn got multiple picks for his defense that was considered good already, they must trust him more then their HC. Believe they are giving the coaches too much weight again picking the players and not allowing the scouts to do their job.
-We all know this class flat out stinks, where the team didn't improve at all, which is very surprising based on prior drafts.
-Maybe 1 or 2 players surprise, but this will get MM fired and all blame will be pointed at Dak, where it shouldn't be.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I thought it would be a defense heavy draft.

Ever since Dan Quinn turned down a good opportunity for a head coaching job I was thinking Jerry must have convinced him that he was going to give him the opportunity to build a top defense here.
This tells me, that Quinn has been given too much power and they might as well give him the HC position. If I'm MM, I am furious with this draft.

cnuball21

Reaction score
With the the time and effort many of us put in throughout the offseason process and to get this result, it makes many of us so upset:

-I feel they reached on every single pick, expect Vaughn in the 6th rd, who I think was just picked cause of his Dad working as a scout with the team.
-MM should be furious as his offense needed more weapons and had real holes to fill at LG, RB, TE, WR and all he got was a blocking TE.
-Dan Quinn got multiple picks for his defense that was considered good already, they must trust him more then their HC. Believe they are giving the coaches too much weight again picking the players and not allowing the scouts to do their job.
-We all know this class flat out stinks, where the team didn't improve at all, which is very surprising based on prior drafts.
-Maybe 1 or 2 players surprise, but this will get MM fired and all blame will be pointed at Dak, where it shouldn't be.

Freaking brutal man. It makes me believe they think they're good at LG (Tyron plays LT?) and Tolbert gets every opportunity to be the guy.

On a positive the UDFA signings look awesome lol.. We got the FB Luepke and WR Moreno Cropper who I think is better than our 7th rounder.

ghst187

Reaction score
This tells me, that Quinn has been given too much power and they might as well give him the HC position. If I'm MM, I am furious with this draft.
Me too, reeks of 2009 to me. I think our first pick was awful, second pick a 1-2 reach, and I’m not sure any players drafted here contribute in a meaningful way this season.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Freaking brutal man. It makes me believe they think they're good at LG (Tyron plays LT?) and Tolbert gets every opportunity to be the guy.

On a positive the UDFA signings look awesome lol.. We got the FB Luepke and WR Moreno Cropper who I think is better than our 7th rounder.
Looks like the coaches were making the picks, not the scouts. MM proved that he doesn't have a big stick in the room, but Quinn does.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Schoonmaker can do more than block...

Vaughn had the most (college career) receiving yards of any RB in this draft.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Looks like the coaches were making the picks, not the scouts. MM proved that he doesn't have a big stick in the room, but Quinn does.
Not ideal...if we're going to run more 11 personnel like he did in GB we need WRs.

Let's just cross our fingers and hope the best 5 play OL and Tolbert makes a massive step forward in year 2. I loved him as a prospect - so fingers crossed.

baltcowboy

Reaction score

I like the draft but have to admit we didn’t add any play makers but Duece. I wonder if they are looking at a trade. Maybe the team thinks Gallup and Tolbert will step up.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Schoonmaker can do more than block...

Vaughn had the most (college career) receiving yards of any RB in this draft.

Schoon had 637 career yards receiving...career.

I understand the upside, but if we're reaching for a TE give me the better receiver than blocker.

cnuball21

Reaction score
I like the draft but have to admit we didn’t add any play makers but Duece. I wonder if they are looking at a trade. Maybe the team thinks Gallup and Tolbert will step up.
I ain't holding my breath on MG...he's never been a seperator.

Let's just hope Tolbert steps up. OR UDFA JALEN MORENO CROPPER!

baltcowboy

Reaction score

MM told us what he wanted to do. This draft is just his plan set in motion. Play strong defense, run the football and get tougher. Schoonmaker completes the tight end room the Cowboys will be running the 12 personnel with him and Ferguson. They believe Gallup will be healthy and Tolbert will step up. Vaughn is small but is a game breaker. Will help with screens and return game. The Carolina kid is 21 years old and can play.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

When the Cowboys have been enamored with prospects, they've generally had success.

Frederick: The OL coach love love loved him as a prospect.
- Fans and draft media screamed that it was 2 rounds too early...
Martin: They had zero doubts about him.
Tyron: They were completely sold on him.
DLaw: They moved up in the 2nd to get him.
Dak: They spent more time with him prior to the draft than any prospect in the Jerry ownership era.

Not 100% sold on the pick:
Taco: Immediately after that draft Stephen Jones was shaking his head in dismay and literally said they might have screwed up by not drafting TJ Watt.
Jaylon Smith: They really really wanted 2 players that were drafted immediately before Jaylon.
Claiborne: They didn't have any contact with him and spent minimal time evaluating him because they assumed he would be long gone.

cnuball21

Reaction score
MM told us what he wanted to do. This draft is just his plan set in motion. Play strong defense, run the football and get tougher. Schoonmaker completes the tight end room the Cowboys will be running the 12 personnel with him and Ferguson. They believe Gallup will be healthy and Tolbert will step up. Vaughn is small but is a game breaker. Will help with screens and return game. The Carolina kid is 21 years old and can play.
Running the football doesn't beat the Eagles and 49ers...that's the problem.

cnuball21

Reaction score
When the Cowboys have been enamored with prospects, they've generally had success.

Frederick: The OL coach love love loved him as a prospect.
- Fans and draft media screamed that it was 2 rounds too early...
Martin: They had zero doubts about him.
Tyron: They were completely sold on him.
DLaw: They moved up in the 2nd to get him.
Dak: They spent more time with him prior to the draft than any prospect in the Jerry ownership era.

Not 100% sold on the pick:
Taco: Immediately after that draft Stephen Jones was shaking his head in dismay and literally said they might have screwed up by not drafting TJ Watt.
Jaylon Smith: They really really wanted 2 players that were drafted immediately before Jaylon.
Claiborne: They didn't have any contact with him and spent minimal time evaluating him because they assumed he would be long gone.
This is all fairly accurate...but changes nothing about how terrible of a draft we just had.