Post-draft team analysis: CB

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Good job as always Gimme! I see y'all going at it about these CBs haha.

1) BJ
2) Chido/JD
4) Brown
5) Olumba
6) Decoud
7) Jackson
8) Goodwin
9) Westry

BJ has earned his spot.
JD/Chido are too close to call for me.
*For the record, Chido is the best slot and JD is an outside CB.*
Brown has became a solid slot guy.
Olumba, Jackson n DeCoud is the group I'll focus on they all have the size their Coach likes but they can play too. Olumba just looks a like a pro CB when you watch him. DeCoud has played S too and he can ball. Jackson is a draft pick.

53: BJ, Chido, AB, JD n Jackson.
PS: DeCoud
Interested in trading Brown if Olumba is too good to let go then Chido can go to slot on passing downs. Also, they have 2 young CBs for depth if BJ leaves.
Man why this team wont try chido in the slot is mind boggling. The kid was a beast on corner blitz's in college. Had great timing and physicality playing closer to the LOS

Mr_437

Reaction score
Man why this team wont try chido in the slot is mind boggling. The kid was a beast on corner blitz's in college. Had great timing and physicality playing closer to the LOS
Not like him playing slot wasn't on tape cause that's where he played the most.

Also, Jourdan rarely played slot, and was almost exclusively an outside CB.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score

Lewis was the best mirror corner in the draft and would of went 1st round if it weren't for his dumb dumb gf

kskboys

Reaction score
Scouting reports almost all were saying he'd prolly be better in the slot.

kskboys

Reaction score

I can't make any sense out of it.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Name: Chris Westry

• A lot of times, a player’s measurements are exaggerated – but not this guy. At 6’4, Westry is incredibly rangy, with long length.
  • He’ll need to refine his technique a bit. He tends to grab his man in coverage.
  • But he will fight to stay in position.
  • You see some start-stop quickness to his game. Can close ground when he has to.
  • Despite his large frame, he can move well. He will turn and run with his man.
  • There are snaps where his balance is not great, but he moves confidently. He will turn, open his hips and react to what he sees.
  • Carries his man across the field with ease. Not much separation to his game.
  • He does a good job of keeping things in front of him.
  • Overall, this is a promising player – worth being excited about. I worry about how much he grabs and holds. He will need some technique work with Kris Richard to help him here.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
ROSTER PREDICTION: Since I kept five safeties, I'm also keeping five cornerbacks to give us 10 total defensive backs.

We don't have the quality at S to keep 5. The guy we picked in the 6th was widely panned as a pick. He makes it to the PS. Iloka is expendable. I'd like to keep Frazier for special teams, but he's in his last year and could never take in the box SS from Heath. And Heath isn't good at it. If we need roster spots, Frazier is another guy that can go.

We have a lot of quality on the roster. It's not at safety. Spending 5 roster spots on them keeps better players off the roster.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Think that a CB that is 6'4" and runs 4.3 would be an asset in the Red Zone?

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm intrigued with Olumba.

Westry's a freak show. He should be mocked and ridiculed.

DanA

Reaction score
Coaches obviously did a poor job of self evaluating. He didn't play that badly that he lost his job. There were grumblings about him losing his job as soon as Richard was hired about his height. The kid is a baller and when he leaves I will be here to tell you I told you so. This is the staff that started byron at safety for 3 years as well. just sayin

But it’s not the staff that started Byron at safety for 3-years. The guy in charge of DB’s is new and immediately moved him to CB. He’s also the guy that had the best secondary in the league for the 5 or so years he was there.

And two years ago in the clutch moments against Green Bay we saw Lewis get burnt on the back shoulder fade. That’s a problem that IMO isn’t fixable.

As good as Lewis was in his limited snaps last year, most of it was in a niche role against a running back (Kamara). We didn’t see a guy balling as an outside corner while Chidobe was quite solid.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If it were me, I'd trade Jones and start Awuzie and Lewis. Brown is your nickel. The King of Slop is your 4th corner.

Awuzie
Lewis
Brown
Jackson
Olumba

Oh, and I'd also fire Kris Richard.

DanA

Reaction score
Lewis was the best mirror corner in the draft and would of went 1st round if it weren't for his dumb dumb gf

Conley was accused of rape days before the draft and still went 1st round. Lewis was never going to be first round IMO. Great college player but his size is what dropped him down the draft more than the GF.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
But it’s not the staff that started Byron at safety for 3-years. The guy in charge of DB’s is new and immediately moved him to CB. He’s also the guy that had the best secondary in the league for the 5 or so years he was there.

And two years ago in the clutch moments against Green Bay we saw Lewis get burnt on the back shoulder fade. That’s a problem that IMO isn’t fixable.

As good as Lewis was in his limited snaps last year, most of it was in a niche role against a running back (Kamara). We didn’t see a guy balling as an outside corner while Chidobe was quite solid.
Lol the same game Lewis had 2 pass breakups on 3rd downs to get the defense off the field. Then broke up first td pass on first down and Rodgers threw the exact same pass on the next play. Go look at chidos tape and come holla at me.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Conley was accused of rape days before the draft and still went 1st round. Lewis was never going to be first round IMO. Great college player but his size is what dropped him down the draft more than the GF.
Lewis had a trial scheduled not just a stupid allegation in the air

DanA

Reaction score
Lol the same game Lewis had 2 pass breakups on 3rd downs to get the defense off the field. Then broke up first td pass on first down and Rodgers threw the exact same pass on the next play. Go look at chidos tape and come holla at me.

He was targeted as the weak link and it paid dividends. You can’t just sweep that under the rug.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
We don't have the quality at S to keep 5. The guy we picked in the 6th was widely panned as a pick. He makes it to the PS. Iloka is expendable. I'd like to keep Frazier for special teams, but he's in his last year and could never take in the box SS from Heath. And Heath isn't good at it. If we need roster spots, Frazier is another guy that can go.

We have a lot of quality on the roster. It's not at safety. Spending 5 roster spots on them keeps better players off the roster.

Possibly. I don't see Iloka or Heath going anywhere. Frazier and Heath are both core special-teammers. McClay and the scouts also seem to hold a different opinion than draft experts about Wilson, so a lot depends on whether he lives up to those opinions.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Possibly. I don't see Iloka or Heath going anywhere. Frazier and Heath are both core special-teammers. McClay and the scouts also seem to hold a different opinion than draft experts about Wilson, so a lot depends on whether he lives up to those opinions.

Why does Iloka have to stick around? He's totally cuttable. Cutting him is even a *positive* for our comp picks.

He's an insurance policy we hope we don't have to use. Assuming no injuries, Wilson and Iloka are fighting for a spot on the 53.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Why does Iloka have to stick around? He's totally cuttable. Cutting him is even a *positive* for our comp picks.

He's an insurance policy we hope we don't have to use. Assuming no injuries, Wilson and Iloka are fighting for a spot on the 53.

I don't think Iloka is an insurance policy. Jeff Heath is not a starting strong safety. Xavier Woods is not a strong safety. So who is Iloka, a starting strong safety, an insurance policy for?

Heath is a solid free safety who gets unfairly judged by his play at strong safety. Woods is a solid free safety. We will have two safeties back deep on some plays, and Heath and Woods are the two.

Frazier is the backup strong safety, and again a core special-teammer. It's possible that Wilson could take that role from him, making Frazier expendable, or Wilson might not be good enough to make the team or he might cause us to keep five safeties, which is the way I'm leaning.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I totally agree. People are talking about the fact that change is on the horizon at cornerback, but then fail to prepare for that change in roster assessments.

Byron Jones is in a contract year, coming off of hip surgery and currently on crutches. Anyone forget about that?

Anthony Brown is also in a contract year, either he or Jones, or both could be gone.

And right or wrong (I'm not debating), Jourdan Lewis doesn't look to be a fit here long term and is a prime trade candidate.

And Kris Richard and the team have been acquiring and stacking longer cornerbacks, keeping Olumba and adding Jackson and Westry. Westry is a Richard pet cat as well. I think he and Jackson were Richard's consolation prize when they took RB Tony Pollard and lost out on Houston CB Isaiah Johnson.

There's little talent and lesser reason to keep 5 at safety, especially when you have so much transition at cornerback.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
He was targeted as the weak link and it paid dividends. You can’t just sweep that under the rug.
He literally broke up the pass the previous play. Even when he was beat he was in great position but it was a good back shoulder throw from a top tier QB. You also have to remember that was in October and it was his rookie year where he missed alot of camp due to a hamstring. Look at the last 4 games of that same season. He was our best corner on the team