Post-draft team analysis: WR

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Starters: Amari Cooper, Michael Gallup, Randall Cobb
Contenders: Tavon Austin, Allen Hurns, Noah Brown, Cedrick Wilson, Lance Lenoir, Devin Smith, Reggie Davis, Jalen Guyton, Jon'Vea Johnson

The only absolutes at this position appear to be the top three. Amari Cooper proved to be the receiver we've needed ever since Dez Bryant started to be hampered by injuries. Cooper's game relies on speed and route-running, two things he excels at (while Bryant relied on being physically able to outmuscle and outjump defenders). Michael Gallup also is a very good route runner, which helps him to get open on the short routes and deep. Both of these players create good separation, which is needed because Dak Prescott doesn't like throwing jump balls. Prescott and Gallup need to get on the same page, though, on the deep throws. Gallup has the ability to high point the ball, but more important are the throws where he got behind the defense and they just misconnected. Both Cooper and Gallup have some run-after-the catch ability.

Randall Cobb also is a good route runner who runs well after the catch. The main question with him is whether his injury issues have taken too much of a toll. He isn't as quick as Beasley, but if fully recovered, has the route skills to work the underneath from the slot or the even make plays downfield, which is not something Beasley did well.

Tavon Austin probably has a job this year as the primary punt returner and the jet sweep player. When he was healthy, he did both of those jobs well last year, but health is definitely a concern. The development of Tony Pollard will determine how long Austin stays on the roster. If Pollard shows a proficiency for returning punts, he could take on the jet sweep role as a more natural running back with receiver skills.

The Dallas brought in Allen Hurns to essentially be the replacement for Bryant last year and the attempt failed. The Cowboys were spouting receiver by committee, but it was clear if you followed the money that Hurns and Beasley were considered the top dogs. Hurns is a good possession receiver, but wasn't up to that task, which is why Dallas got Cooper. Hurns always was surpassed by Gallup, which makes his roster spot, especially at $6 million this year, tenuous at best ... especially if Cobb returns to form since he can play the outside receiver spots if needed. Hurns is a good locker room presence and still an OK receiver (assuming the broken ankle doesn't slow him down more), but the price is greater than the production.

Dallas seems to like using Noah Brown as a blocker who can make an occasional catch, so it's possible that he has a role unless someone else shows they can block and do more as a receiver. That could be Cedrick Wilson, who was catching on quickly to all the receiver roles before being hurt last preseason. I'm not sure what to expect from him.

The two UDFA receivers, Jalen Guyton and Jon'Vea Johnson, have exceptional speed but are a little raw. Guyton reminds me a lot of Miles Austin, though. I think they both have a better shot at making the roster than Lance Lenoir, Reggie Davis and Devin Smith, although Smith is intriguing as a former high draft pick who has struggled with injuries.

The depth can go a lot of ways depending on who steps up.

ROSTER PREDICTION: Hurns is gone because of cost, and I think we'll keep six — Cooper, Gallup, Cobb, Austin, Wilson and Guyton — while Johnson and possibly Smith will go on the practice squad. I'm not fully counting out Brown or Smith forcing us to keep a seventh or bumping Guyton to the practice squad if he doesn't show that Austin-like potential.

Sandyf

Reaction score
I am not sure that Cobb is a sure thing. His injury status could make him moot if they start developing again. Smith is an unknown as a second round draftee who was supposed to light it up on the outside as well as the slot. Again injuries stunted him but will have to see how it works out. They like Brown since he is a big WR with great blocking skills and he can catch the ball. Wilson seems to be a fav of the coaches and probably would have made the 53 last year. I suspect he does this year.

I can see us keeping only six this year. The competition will be very good in training camp. I see Cooper, Gallup, Cobb, Wilson, Brown and Smith coming out ahead with Austin being traded as I believe Pollard will take his spot. Not sure Hurns will not end up on the PUP list to start the season. Lenoir is probably odd man out unless he beats out Guyton and Johnson for PS spots. Feel for Reggie Davis but he could make another team's PS.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Contenders: Tavon Austin, Allen Hurns, Noah Brown, Cedrick Wilson, Lance Lenoir, Devin Smith, Reggie Davis, Jalen Guyton, Jon'Vea Johnson

The only absolutes at this position appear to be the top three. Amari Cooper proved to be the receiver we've needed ever since Dez Bryant started to be hampered by injuries. Cooper's game relies on speed and route-running, two things he excels at (while Bryant relied on being physically able to outmuscle and outjump defenders). Michael Gallup also is a very good route runner, which helps him to get open on the short routes and deep. Both of these players create good separation, which is needed because Dak Prescott doesn't like throwing jump balls. Prescott and Gallup need to get on the same page, though, on the deep throws. Gallup has the ability to high point the ball, but more important are the throws where he got behind the defense and they just misconnected. Both Cooper and Gallup have some run-after-the catch ability.

Randall Cobb also is a good route runner who runs well after the catch. The main question with him is whether his injury issues have taken too much of a toll. He isn't as quick as Beasley, but if fully recovered, has the route skills to work the underneath from the slot or the even make plays downfield, which is not something Beasley did well.

Tavon Austin probably has a job this year as the primary punt returner and the jet sweep player. When he was healthy, he did both of those jobs well last year, but health is definitely a concern. The development of Tony Pollard will determine how long Austin stays on the roster. If Pollard shows a proficiency for returning punts, he could take on the jet sweep role as a more natural running back with receiver skills.

The Dallas brought in Allen Hurns to essentially be the replacement for Bryant last year and the attempt failed. The Cowboys were spouting receiver by committee, but it was clear if you followed the money that Hurns and Beasley were considered the top dogs. Hurns is a good possession receiver, but wasn't up to that task, which is why Dallas got Cooper. Hurns always was surpassed by Gallup, which makes his roster spot, especially at $6 million this year, tenuous at best ... especially if Cobb returns to form since he can play the outside receiver spots if needed. Hurns is a good locker room presence and still an OK receiver (assuming the broken ankle doesn't slow him down more), but the price is greater than the production.

Dallas seems to like using Noah Brown as a blocker who can make an occasional catch, so it's possible that he has a role unless someone else shows they can block and do more as a receiver. That could be Cedrick Wilson, who was catching on quickly to all the receiver roles before being hurt last preseason. I'm not sure what to expect from him.

The two UDFA receivers, Jalen Guyton and Jon'Vea Johnson, have exceptional speed but are a little raw. Guyton reminds me a lot of Miles Austin, though. I think they both have a better shot at making the roster than Lance Lenoir, Reggie Davis and Devin Smith, although Smith is intriguing as a former high draft pick who has struggled with injuries.

ROSTER PREDICTION: Hurns is gone because of cost, and I think we'll keep six — Cooper, Gallup, Cobb, Austin, Wilson and Guyton — while Johnson and possibly Smith will go on the practice squad. I'm not fully counting out Brown or Smith forcing us to keep a seventh or bumping Guyton to the practice squad if he doesn't show that Austin-like potential.

Nice work!
:thumbup:

I very much agree with your analysis, especially regarding Allen Hurns. He strikes me as a great guy, but essentially an overpaid progress stopper. No room at the inn, especially for a guy who will be a free agent next year anyway. Keep your top three (four with Austin), and develop two young guys, be that Brown and Wilson or another pair.

gimmesix

Reaction score
I am not sure that Cobb is a sure thing. His injury status could make him moot if they start developing again. Smith is an unknown as a second round draftee who was supposed to light it up on the outside as well as the slot. Again injuries stunted him but will have to see how it works out. They like Brown since he is a big WR with great blocking skills and he can catch the ball. Wilson seems to be a fav of the coaches and probably would have made the 53 last year. I suspect he does this year.

I can see us keeping only six this year. The competition will be very good in training camp. I see Cooper, Gallup, Cobb, Wilson, Brown and Smith coming out ahead with Austin being traded as I believe Pollard will take his spot. Not sure Hurns will not end up on the PUP list to start the season. Lenoir is probably odd man out unless he beats out Guyton and Johnson for PS spots. Feel for Reggie Davis but he could make another team's PS.

I think the only way Cobb doesn't make the team is if the injury has totally robbed him of any speed. Even then, he still might be better than what Hurns was last year, which could be good enough for the third receiver spot. I don't think speed is his primary asset.

cowboysooner

Reaction score
The Dak Gallup connection needs to improve. Gallup played well and became a good route runner as the season went on. He and Dak need to connect more Effectively.

There is upside potential with Cobb. I thought this could have been upgraded in a deep wr draft with a guy like Nicks.

Dallas was a very good team last year with Cooper. The biggest thing we could do to get better, easier is improving passing. Hopefully the receiving back will help.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Nice work!
:thumbup:

I very much agree with your analysis, especially regarding Allen Hurns. He strikes me as a great guy, but essentially an overpaid progress stopper. No room at the inn, especially for a guy who will be a free agent next year anyway. Keep your top three (four with Austin), and develop two young guys, be that Brown and Wilson or another pair.

Last year, there wasn't much progress to stop. He was our second-best receiver at times before falling behind Gallup and then Cooper. As the fourth-best, we're looking at a player who isn't going to get a lot of snaps on offense so we either need someone who shines on special teams as well or someone with potential to develop.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is an area that I like this season because in order to make the roster, the WR has to be good, not in the right place at the right time and win by default.

There is also the wild card of Pollard who can be lined up outside and be very effective but he is unknown at this time but has that C. Wilson upside, we think he's good. And there are some high on D. Smith.

The speedsters are more reliant on the QB's ability to connect on deep balls rather than their own skills. I am thinking the QB is getting a lot of deep ball work in OTA's and camp. Nothing, nothing, looks worse than for our guy to beat their guy deep and the QB to miss the throw. All QB's do is throw the ball.

gimmesix

Reaction score
The Dak Gallup connection needs to improve. Gallup played well and became a good route runner as the season went on. He and Dak need to connect more Effectively.

There is upside potential with Cobb. I thought this could have been upgraded in a deep wr draft with a guy like Nicks.

Dallas was a very good team last year with Cooper. The biggest thing we could do to get better, easier is improving passing. Hopefully the receiving back will help.

One of the things I like about Gallup is that he showed the ability to get open deep. Having two starters who can do that forces the defense to cheat back, which helps out the underneath receivers and the running game. Prescott has to hit Gallup on those throws, though, for it to be effective.

I like having a veteran like Cobb to man the slot for a year. We could have tried to upgrade the spot through the draft, but you never know how it is going to turn out. Having him on the team means we can give players like Wilson, Guyton, Smith and Johnson a chance at showing they should supplant him without being dependent on them if they struggle.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Last year, there wasn't much progress to stop. He was our second-best receiver at times before falling behind Gallup and then Cooper.

That speaks to just how bad things were and still doesn't say much for Hurns and his what? 20 catches for the season?

[/quote]As the fourth-best, we're looking at a player who isn't going to get a lot of snaps on offense so we either need someone who shines on special teams as well or someone with potential to develop.[/QUOTE]

Don't forget someone much, much cheaper. And a player who will actually be here for the future. Hurns may be a great team guy, but like another player I won't get into again, he's overpaid for his role and in the way of the future.

Time to go in my opinion. Forget the good feelings.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
On Beasley, what are the odds he leaves one team struggling with the lack of a #1WR and signs with a team with the exact same problem? Cole, say hello to the team's top CB. And Cole, one more thing. In December, when you take your gloves off, check to make sure you don't leave any fingers behind. And Mrs. Beasley, welcome to Buffalo, Dallas of the North, we baptize babies with wing sauce up here.

gimmesix

Reaction score
This is an area that I like this season because in order to make the roster, the WR has to be good, not in the right place at the right time and win by default.

There is also the wild card of Pollard who can be lined up outside and be very effective but he is unknown at this time but has that C. Wilson upside, we think he's good. And there are some high on D. Smith.

The speedsters are more reliant on the QB's ability to connect on deep balls rather than their own skills. I am thinking the QB is getting a lot of deep ball work in OTA's and camp. Nothing, nothing, looks worse than for our guy to beat their guy deep and the QB to miss the throw. All QB's do is throw the ball.

What we do with Pollard will be interesting to watch. I think we'll start out just using him as a kick returner and third-down back, which means Austin keeps his role coming in to run/fake jet sweeps with Elliott in the game. However, he easily could end up being the jet sweep player as well. I think, though, we'll see that unfold in 2020 (unless Austin gets hurt) when Austin leaves in free agency.

gimmesix

Reaction score
That speaks to just how bad things were and still doesn't say much for Hurns and his what? 20 catches for the season?

Don't forget someone much, much cheaper. And a player who will actually be here for the future. Hurns may be a great team guy, but like another player I won't get into again, he's overpaid for his role and in the way of the future.

Time to go in my opinion. Forget the good feelings.

I think Hurns is a reliable player. He's going to work hard, make contested catches, be where he's supposed to be. I think there's some value in that, just not what Dallas is set to pay him. He's still here IMO because of this trustworthiness. Dallas has to be fully hoping players like Wilson, Guyton, Smith and Johnson play well enough to knock him off the roster. Otherwise, we end up with Cooper, Gallup, Cobb, Austin, Brown and Hurns. That's possible since we haven't really seen the young guys, but I just don't think it will take much more than showing potential to knock Hurns off the roster.

Brown is a different story. He has somewhat of a specialty role as a player who can catch but is primarily a blocker. I would hope we keep the better receiving threat, though, over the better blocker. We want a player on the field who can catch and block well, put an extra tight end out there.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score

That's why we pay you the big bucks gimmesix. To make those decisions for us. Make it so :). You need a dollar, I cam get ya one but you gotta be quick

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think Hurns is a reliable player. He's going to work hard, make contested catches, be where he's supposed to be. I think there's some value in that, just not what Dallas is set to pay him. He's still here IMO because of this trustworthiness. Dallas has to be fully hoping players like Wilson, Guyton, Smith and Johnson play well enough to knock him off the roster. Otherwise, we end up with Cooper, Gallup, Cobb, Austin, Brown and Hurns. That's possible since we haven't really seen the young guys, but I just don't think it will take much more than showing potential to knock Hurns off the roster.

Brown is a different story. He has somewhat of a specialty role as a player who can catch but is primarily a blocker. I would hope we keep the better receiving threat, though, over the better blocker. We want a player on the field who can catch and block well, put an extra tight end out there.

I'm expecting the Cowboys to keep just three TE's this year - Witten, Jarwin, and Schultz - and I think going light there might increase Brown's chances of making the roster.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
I always need a dollar.

tenor.gif

:)

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hurns did not get a lot of opportunities with a true #1 like he had with Robinson in JAX. I don't care how much he's getting paid if he can play. A set of Cooper, Gallup and Hurns could be a tough job for a secondary. And Austin or Pollard out of the backfield, along with Zeke and you might just have the indefensible offense, providing the QB has time to find 1 of the 5 targets with only 5 OL to protect him. If Prescott can get his timing down and run the no huddle with that lineup, he could do some serious damage.

The problem I see with the offense the last couple of years is that it was defense friendly, gave them time to line up, gave them time to platoon in and pulled them offsides too seldom. "OK, y'all ready? We're gittin' ready to snap this here ball now".

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm expecting the Cowboys to keep just three TE's this year - Witten, Jarwin, and Schultz - and I think going light there might increase Brown's chances of making the roster.
Put him on a weight program and add 20-25lbs and make him a TE, he's already a good blocker.