Post-draft team analysis: WR

DanA

Reaction score
I wonder how many of the blocking assignments that Brown is given can be done by Pollard. It certainly would make us harder to read. Pollard is 25lbs heavier than Tavon Ausin so likely much better suited to blocking roles just because of his physical size. You'd expect a running back to have better technique too.

Mr_437

Reaction score
I think Hurns is gone....he is back so that we won't have to pay injury settlement.....he will be in camp, then cut. cost too much for being that far down the list......Austin is also on the bubble...... yeah, he has speed, but injured often and not a good WR and couldn't unseat Beasley from the slot....how many jet sweeps do you run per game.....he has straight ahead speed, but not necessarily change of direction and quickness that Beasley had......

Wilson is got the leg up...... Guyton may get a chance, but probably a PS guy.....
Agreed. I see Hurns n Austin cut too, but for now others guys have work to beat them out.

Guyton drops a lot of passes so I think Johnson will beat him out.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Put him on a weight program and add 20-25lbs and make him a TE, he's already a good blocker.

I read this a lot, but I think something people forget is there is a difference between being a really good blocker from the WR position, and a really good blocker from the TE position. At WR it's mostly blocking DBs and sometimes a LB in the open field, while a TE often has to take on DEs and LBs at the point of attack. That transition might not be as easy as some think.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I like Hurns and think he has some value. I'm not trying to knock him at all and think he could be carried if none of the young receivers step up.

Of the six in my roster prediction, there's really no way to know at this point if Wilson or Guyton will play well enough to keep. Same with Smith and Johnson. Both Hurns and Brown have at least showed that they could play roles on the team, so it won't be a surprise to me if they win the roster spots. I don't think that's ideal for Dallas, though, especially with Hurns of the salary and the role of the fourth/fifth receiver. However, if it came down to it, a pay cut could definitely make a difference.

As far as :"big bodies" go, Hurns is listed as just 6-1, no taller than Gallup or Cooper and shorter than Brown.

Hurns is 6-3 everywhere else. The Cowboys site is the worst for player info.

Yeah, they'd rather go younger. And Lal raved about how well Wilson picked up the offense last year. Could happen. I bet they'd love Wilson to take the job over Cobb and Hurns, but that seems overly optimistic for a 6th round pick in his 2nd year WR who missed his rookie season.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Austin had six catches. One of those was a 64-yarder. (He did have a 44-yarder against Houston, too.) That skews the numbers for him. In his career, he has been mostly held to an average of less than 10 yards per catch, so he really doesn't do a lot down the field, which is part of why the Rams were willing to part with him. (For comparison's sake, a slower receiver like Dez Bryant has never averaged under 12, and Terrance Williams only averaged under 10 one of his six years here.)

However, we are in agreement that teams still have to be wary of him because of his speed. He can get downfield like he did against the Giants and Houston. His career just shows that he's not going to make very many huge plays. I'm not trying to disparage him because I like him in the role Dallas has given him. That doesn't mean Pollard might not be better at it, but teams do have to respect his speed both in the running and passing games.

8 catches. Small sample size, but it is the data we have.

The Rams loved to bubble screen Austin. Keeps the average down. Basically a run play.

As long as teams have to respect Austin's speed and back off a safety, Austin has served half his purpose. His job is to take pressure off of Zeke. The deep threat backs a safety out of the box. His jet sweep threat gets a defender moving with him instead of Zeke.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

Yeah, they'd rather go younger. And Lal raved about how well Wilson picked up the offense last year. Could happen. I bet they'd love Wilson to take the job over Cobb and Hurns, but that seems overly optimistic for a 6th round pick in his 2nd year WR who missed his rookie season.

I was looking on nfl.com.

gimmesix

Reaction score

I think Cobb is the main reason Hurns will be out of a job. After Beasley left, it looked like Hurns might be the slot receiver. Now, it's Cobb. That put Hurns too low on the totem pole for the salary he's receiving. However, there are questins about Cobb's health that need to be answered, so there's no reason to make a move now. Plus, outside of Cooper, Gallup, Cobb and possibly Austin, we certainly don't know if players like Wilson are going to prove worth keeping. Not sure, though, if it came down to Brown and Hurns that Brown wouldn't win the spot because of his play on special teams and as a blocker.

My prediction that Guyton will make the roster is the most shaky because he's got to show a lot of promise to not just be stashed on the practice squad.

gimmesix

Reaction score
8 catches. Small sample size, but it is the data we have.

The Rams loved to bubble screen Austin. Keeps the average down. Basically a run play.

As long as teams have to respect Austin's speed and back off a safety, Austin has served half his purpose. His job is to take pressure off of Zeke. The deep threat backs a safety out of the box. His jet sweep threat gets a defender moving with him instead of Zeke.

I don't disagree with you on respecting his speed. I just don't think we should start expecting him to make a bunch of deep catches. It's not in his pro history. He just has to make one or two per year, though, like he did last year to keep that respect. I also agree he's effective on the jet sweep, which helps the running game. What I don't know is whether Pollard can be just as effective. As I've said, I really don't expect him to knock Austin off the roster, but rather take over the role next year.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I think Cobb is the main reason Hurns will be out of a job. After Beasley left, it looked like Hurns might be the slot receiver. Now, it's Cobb. That put Hurns too low on the totem pole for the salary he's receiving. However, there are questins about Cobb's health that need to be answered, so there's no reason to make a move now. Plus, outside of Cooper, Gallup, Cobb and possibly Austin, we certainly don't know if players like Wilson are going to prove worth keeping. Not sure, though, if it came down to Brown and Hurns that Brown wouldn't win the spot because of his play on special teams and as a blocker.

My prediction that Guyton will make the roster is the most shaky because he's got to show a lot of promise to not just be stashed on the practice squad.

They've already said they plan to offer Hurns a haircut on his salary. There's some question on whether Cobb's contract is almost entirely guaranteed, or only half guaranteed.

If the latter, the remaining LTBE should be an even fight, and Hurns has the edge for eventual comp pick compensation.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
Starters: Amari Cooper, Michael Gallup, Randall Cobb
Contenders: Tavon Austin, Allen Hurns, Noah Brown, Cedrick Wilson, Lance Lenoir, Devin Smith, Reggie Davis, Jalen Guyton, Jon'Vea Johnson

The only absolutes at this position appear to be the top three. Amari Cooper proved to be the receiver we've needed ever since Dez Bryant started to be hampered by injuries. Cooper's game relies on speed and route-running, two things he excels at (while Bryant relied on being physically able to outmuscle and outjump defenders). Michael Gallup also is a very good route runner, which helps him to get open on the short routes and deep. Both of these players create good separation, which is needed because Dak Prescott doesn't like throwing jump balls. Prescott and Gallup need to get on the same page, though, on the deep throws. Gallup has the ability to high point the ball, but more important are the throws where he got behind the defense and they just misconnected. Both Cooper and Gallup have some run-after-the catch ability.

Randall Cobb also is a good route runner who runs well after the catch. The main question with him is whether his injury issues have taken too much of a toll. He isn't as quick as Beasley, but if fully recovered, has the route skills to work the underneath from the slot or the even make plays downfield, which is not something Beasley did well.

Tavon Austin probably has a job this year as the primary punt returner and the jet sweep player. When he was healthy, he did both of those jobs well last year, but health is definitely a concern. The development of Tony Pollard will determine how long Austin stays on the roster. If Pollard shows a proficiency for returning punts, he could take on the jet sweep role as a more natural running back with receiver skills.

The Dallas brought in Allen Hurns to essentially be the replacement for Bryant last year and the attempt failed. The Cowboys were spouting receiver by committee, but it was clear if you followed the money that Hurns and Beasley were considered the top dogs. Hurns is a good possession receiver, but wasn't up to that task, which is why Dallas got Cooper. Hurns always was surpassed by Gallup, which makes his roster spot, especially at $6 million this year, tenuous at best ... especially if Cobb returns to form since he can play the outside receiver spots if needed. Hurns is a good locker room presence and still an OK receiver (assuming the broken ankle doesn't slow him down more), but the price is greater than the production.

Dallas seems to like using Noah Brown as a blocker who can make an occasional catch, so it's possible that he has a role unless someone else shows they can block and do more as a receiver. That could be Cedrick Wilson, who was catching on quickly to all the receiver roles before being hurt last preseason. I'm not sure what to expect from him.

The two UDFA receivers, Jalen Guyton and Jon'Vea Johnson, have exceptional speed but are a little raw. Guyton reminds me a lot of Miles Austin, though. I think they both have a better shot at making the roster than Lance Lenoir, Reggie Davis and Devin Smith, although Smith is intriguing as a former high draft pick who has struggled with injuries.

The depth can go a lot of ways depending on who steps up.

ROSTER PREDICTION: Hurns is gone because of cost, and I think we'll keep six — Cooper, Gallup, Cobb, Austin, Wilson and Guyton — while Johnson and possibly Smith will go on the practice squad. I'm not fully counting out Brown or Smith forcing us to keep a seventh or bumping Guyton to the practice squad if he doesn't show that Austin-like potential.
Don't sleep on Cedrick Wilson, Boise St., WR. He was on IR with a shoulder last year but remember what he is as a football player:
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-combi...lson-s-full-2018-NFL-Scouting-Combine-workout

gimmesix

Reaction score
They've already said they plan to offer Hurns a haircut on his salary. There's some question on whether Cobb's contract is almost entirely guaranteed, or only half guaranteed.

If the latter, the remaining LTBE should be an even fight, and Hurns has the edge for eventual comp pick compensation.

Until he accepts it, the offer really doesn't matter.

According to spotrac, $2 million of Cobb's salary is guaranteed, while Hurns is guaranteed $1.25 million (with a roster bonus adding another $1 million).

I just don't seem them being viewed the same way. Hurns was brought in as a de facto No. 1. The failure to establish him as one led to the Cooper acquisition. Cobb was brought in as a direct response to Beasley leaving in free agency.

Rogerthat12

DWAREZ
Reaction score
Starters: Amari Cooper, Michael Gallup, Randall Cobb
Contenders: Tavon Austin, Allen Hurns, Noah Brown, Cedrick Wilson, Lance Lenoir, Devin Smith, Reggie Davis, Jalen Guyton, Jon'Vea Johnson

The only absolutes at this position appear to be the top three. Amari Cooper proved to be the receiver we've needed ever since Dez Bryant started to be hampered by injuries. Cooper's game relies on speed and route-running, two things he excels at (while Bryant relied on being physically able to outmuscle and outjump defenders). Michael Gallup also is a very good route runner, which helps him to get open on the short routes and deep. Both of these players create good separation, which is needed because Dak Prescott doesn't like throwing jump balls. Prescott and Gallup need to get on the same page, though, on the deep throws. Gallup has the ability to high point the ball, but more important are the throws where he got behind the defense and they just misconnected. Both Cooper and Gallup have some run-after-the catch ability.

Randall Cobb also is a good route runner who runs well after the catch. The main question with him is whether his injury issues have taken too much of a toll. He isn't as quick as Beasley, but if fully recovered, has the route skills to work the underneath from the slot or the even make plays downfield, which is not something Beasley did well.

Tavon Austin probably has a job this year as the primary punt returner and the jet sweep player. When he was healthy, he did both of those jobs well last year, but health is definitely a concern. The development of Tony Pollard will determine how long Austin stays on the roster. If Pollard shows a proficiency for returning punts, he could take on the jet sweep role as a more natural running back with receiver skills.

The Dallas brought in Allen Hurns to essentially be the replacement for Bryant last year and the attempt failed. The Cowboys were spouting receiver by committee, but it was clear if you followed the money that Hurns and Beasley were considered the top dogs. Hurns is a good possession receiver, but wasn't up to that task, which is why Dallas got Cooper. Hurns always was surpassed by Gallup, which makes his roster spot, especially at $6 million this year, tenuous at best ... especially if Cobb returns to form since he can play the outside receiver spots if needed. Hurns is a good locker room presence and still an OK receiver (assuming the broken ankle doesn't slow him down more), but the price is greater than the production.

Dallas seems to like using Noah Brown as a blocker who can make an occasional catch, so it's possible that he has a role unless someone else shows they can block and do more as a receiver. That could be Cedrick Wilson, who was catching on quickly to all the receiver roles before being hurt last preseason. I'm not sure what to expect from him.

The two UDFA receivers, Jalen Guyton and Jon'Vea Johnson, have exceptional speed but are a little raw. Guyton reminds me a lot of Miles Austin, though. I think they both have a better shot at making the roster than Lance Lenoir, Reggie Davis and Devin Smith, although Smith is intriguing as a former high draft pick who has struggled with injuries.

The depth can go a lot of ways depending on who steps up.

ROSTER PREDICTION: Hurns is gone because of cost, and I think we'll keep six — Cooper, Gallup, Cobb, Austin, Wilson and Guyton — while Johnson and possibly Smith will go on the practice squad. I'm not fully counting out Brown or Smith forcing us to keep a seventh or bumping Guyton to the practice squad if he doesn't show that Austin-like potential.
arizona-cardinals-v-dallas-cowboys-5c25967530305c7717000001.jpg