Post-draft team analysis: WR

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Put him on a weight program and add 20-25lbs and make him a TE, he's already a good blocker.

I'm afraid that at 6'2" he'll never be more than a wide receiver. Spot H-back duty at best.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I'm expecting the Cowboys to keep just three TE's this year - Witten, Jarwin, and Schultz - and I think going light there might increase Brown's chances of making the roster.

That's possible. If we go with two at QB and three at TE, that opens up some spaces. I just think we may keep more OL and DL than usual to eat up those spots.

I plan to look at those two positions more in depth here in a couple of days, but we kept eight OL last year and I think we might keep nine and it's possible we could keep 10 DL again,

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That's possible. If we go with two at QB and three at TE, that opens up some spaces. I just think we may keep more OL and DL than usual to eat up those spots.

That's totally what I'm expecting. Prescott and White as the two quarterbacks and just three TE's. That will allow the team to go long at offensive and defensive line, at least somewhat.

I plan to look at those two positions more in depth here in a couple of days, but we kept eight OL last year and I think we might keep nine and it's possible we could keep 10 DL again,

I can see 9 or 10 on the offensive line, and 12 candidates on the defensive line barring a trade. Things will get really right really fast.

A lot of that has to do with expected transition and players contracts expiring. Lael Collins on the O-line and tons of names in the defensive line. At this point, it's about Lawrence, Woods (restricted), Armstrong, and now Hill under contract and that's about it.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
He got $2 MM guaranteed. I'd say that's a sure thing.
Cobb will play! That is a given. Only thing keeping him out is injury. Fingers crossed a change of scenery and some luck keep him off the bench.

Bottom line, he should be a good acquisition.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Hurns did not get a lot of opportunities with a true #1 like he had with Robinson in JAX. I don't care how much he's getting paid if he can play. A set of Cooper, Gallup and Hurns could be a tough job for a secondary. And Austin or Pollard out of the backfield, along with Zeke and you might just have the indefensible offense, providing the QB has time to find 1 of the 5 targets with only 5 OL to protect him. If Prescott can get his timing down and run the no huddle with that lineup, he could do some serious damage.

The problem I see with the offense the last couple of years is that it was defense friendly, gave them time to line up, gave them time to platoon in and pulled them offsides too seldom. "OK, y'all ready? We're gittin' ready to snap this here ball now".

I just don't see him getting many opportunities now either with Cobb here. Is he better than Cobb or Gallup at this point to take snaps away from them? If not, even repeating his 20 catches from last year will be difficult. I actually like Hurns and think he's still a solid player, but I don't think he's a good fit as a fourth or fifth receiver. If we're going to start Cooper and Gallup, play Cobb in the slot in three-receiver sets and use Austin as a specialty receiver, that doesn't leave many snaps unless we're making the spread our base offense.

Before we got Cobb, I thought one of the main reasons we were holding on to Hurns was to be the third/slot receiver. Now, I think we're just holding on to him in case something doesn't work out with one of the other receivers. Injury problems with Cobb or Austin could lead to him being kept, especially if none of the young receivers look ready to contribute.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Tavon Austin probably has a job this year as the primary punt returner and the jet sweep player. When he was healthy, he did both of those jobs well last year, but health is definitely a concern. The development of Tony Pollard will determine how long Austin stays on the roster. If Pollard shows a proficiency for returning punts, he could take on the jet sweep role as a more natural running back with receiver skills.

The Dallas brought in Allen Hurns to essentially be the replacement for Bryant last year and the attempt failed. The Cowboys were spouting receiver by committee, but it was clear if you followed the money that Hurns and Beasley were considered the top dogs. Hurns is a good possession receiver, but wasn't up to that task, which is why Dallas got Cooper. Hurns always was surpassed by Gallup, which makes his roster spot, especially at $6 million this year, tenuous at best ... especially if Cobb returns to form since he can play the outside receiver spots if needed. Hurns is a good locker room presence and still an OK receiver (assuming the broken ankle doesn't slow him down more), but the price is greater than the production.

The two UDFA receivers, Jalen Guyton and Jon'Vea Johnson, have exceptional speed but are a little raw. Guyton reminds me a lot of Miles Austin, though. I think they both have a better shot at making the roster than Lance Lenoir, Reggie Davis and Devin Smith, although Smith is intriguing as a former high draft pick who has struggled with injuries.

The depth can go a lot of ways depending on who steps up.

ROSTER PREDICTION: Hurns is gone because of cost, and I think we'll keep six — Cooper, Gallup, Cobb, Austin, Wilson and Guyton — while Johnson and possibly Smith will go on the practice squad. I'm not fully counting out Brown or Smith forcing us to keep a seventh or bumping Guyton to the practice squad if he doesn't show that Austin-like potential.

Austin also provides a deep threat as well. He's a better complement to the base offense than Beasley. Both the jet sweep and the deep threat forces some attention off of Zeke on apparent run play. Austin was great on yardage per touch on both runs and receptions, and the injuries last year were exception and not the rule in his career.

After game 6 or so (starting *before* Cooper), Hurns' productivity completely turned around. It was great on limited targets. We need a bigger and stronger WR, or two, like Hurns and Wilson, when we get in the red zone.

One of the stories about the WRs is just how much speed we've got. Many legitimate 4.3 and low 4.4 players. Like Austin as a deep threat, this complements our run game better than slower possession WRs. I can see Gallup losing a lot of snaps in the base to faster WRs. When we need to pass, bring Gallup back in for better execution, but when we want to threaten deep to back off safeties, bring in a faster WR opposite Cooper.

The lack of speed at WR hurt us in 2017. Teams sat on Dez and Williams in press man without help over the top, not worried about getting beat. Try that with Cooper. Or Austin. If you miss on your press, he's gone.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Cobb will play! That is a given. Only thing keeping him out is injury. Fingers crossed a change of scenery and some luck keep him off the bench.

Bottom line, he should be a good acquisition.

Trading Cobb would be an option. He's a quality vet.

But I think we keep Cobb to help convert 3rd downs. Better execution than the younger players not named Cooper.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
Trading Cobb would be an option. He's a quality vet.

But I think we keep Cobb to help convert 3rd downs. Better execution than the younger players not named Cooper.
We didn’t spend for Cobb to trade him. That won’t happen being he’s essentially replacing Cole.

Scotman

Reaction score
I'm expecting the Cowboys to keep just three TE's this year - Witten, Jarwin, and Schultz - and I think going light there might increase Brown's chances of making the roster.
I agree. Brown is almost a hybrid WR/TE.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Austin also provides a deep threat as well. He's a better complement to the base offense than Beasley. Both the jet sweep and the deep threat forces some attention off of Zeke on apparent run play. Austin was great on yardage per touch on both runs and receptions, and the injuries last year were exception and not the rule in his career.

After game 6 or so (starting *before* Cooper), Hurns' productivity completely turned around. It was great on limited targets. We need a bigger and stronger WR, or two, like Hurns and Wilson, when we get in the red zone.

One of the stories about the WRs is just how much speed we've got. Many legitimate 4.3 and low 4.4 players. Like Austin as a deep threat, this complements our run game better than slower possession WRs. I can see Gallup losing a lot of snaps in the base to faster WRs. When we need to pass, bring Gallup back in for better execution, but when we want to threaten deep to back off safeties, bring in a faster WR opposite Cooper.

The lack of speed at WR hurt us in 2017. Teams sat on Dez and Williams in press man without help over the top, not worried about getting beat. Try that with Cooper. Or Austin. If you miss on your press, he's gone.

I believe one of the knocks against Austin from his time with the Rams is that he doesn't make enough deep plays. I do agree that he's a deep threat because of his speed, but his size negates it some. He can't really outfight bigger DBs for the ball so he's got to have separation. So much with him just depends on the development of Pollard. He's got better size and good speed to be both a deep threat and jet sweep option. I just don't think he's going to make his living lining up as a receiver, so that likely keeps Austin safe this year. I don't mind that because it gives us another speed threat.

I think those speed receivers would have to be awfully good to take snaps away from Gallup because the other aspects of his game. With Hurns I just don't see Dallas paying as much as it is for "limited targets," since his number of targets isn't likely to increase this year.

Mr_437

Reaction score
My WR roster ranking:
1) Coop - Top dawg
2) Gallup - big potential
3) Cobb - veteran
4) Brown - blocking, physicality
5) Austin - speed, deep threat, gadget
6) Hurns - experience, position flex
7) Wilson - size, deep threat, routes
8) Smith - speed
9) Johnson - speed
10) Guyton - speed
11) Davis - speed

1-3 are locks.
4-8 are gonna battle for 3 spots.
9-11 are developmental practice squad guys.

I want to discuss 4-8 cause that's where all the movement should take place. I view Noah Brown as a lock almost b/c he adds a skill no other can match...also a STs/glue guy type. Austin is on the bubble w/ Pollard here. Hurns is on the bubble w/ Wilson n Smith here.

So I'll be watching Wilson n Smith to see if they can make Hurns expendable, and I'll be watching how Pollard is used in OTAs. Austin could stay as a punt returner n deep threat alone, but he's also financially easy to cut.

nobody

Reaction score
On Beasley, what are the odds he leaves one team struggling with the lack of a #1WR and signs with a team with the exact same problem? Cole, say hello to the team's top CB. And Cole, one more thing. In December, when you take your gloves off, check to make sure you don't leave any fingers behind. And Mrs. Beasley, welcome to Buffalo, Dallas of the North, we baptize babies with wing sauce up here.

So you're saying that babies are spicy and delicious up there? Good to know if I ever decide to turn cannibal.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I believe one of the knocks against Austin from his time with the Rams is that he doesn't make enough deep plays. I do agree that he's a deep threat because of his speed, but his size negates it some. He can't really outfight bigger DBs for the ball so he's got to have separation. So much with him just depends on the development of Pollard. He's got better size and good speed to be both a deep threat and jet sweep option. I just don't think he's going to make his living lining up as a receiver, so that likely keeps Austin safe this year. I don't mind that because it gives us another speed threat.

I think those speed receivers would have to be awfully good to take snaps away from Gallup because the other aspects of his game. With Hurns I just don't see Dallas paying as much as it is for "limited targets," since his number of targets isn't likely to increase this year.

Austin had our highest yards per target. Also highest yards per carry. You're right about his limitations in fighting for the ball deep. But his speed lets you lay it out past where the defender can get to. Austin isn't the ideal deep threat, but a good fit for us because he gives both the deep threat and the run threat. He's a threat both short and long, and in ways that complement the run game well.

Hurns
Up to game 6 8/21 84
After game 6 12/14 211

Limited total production for both, but the argument would be to give them the ball more.

As for Gallup, he doesn't have the speed to back off defenders in our base. That's most of what we need from our WRs in our base. Give the running game more room.

Hurns will be carried til August then asked to take a pay cut. If they want him. They went into a season with Hurns as our #1. They thought he had something. And he did show something starting halfway through the season. We don't have good red zone big bodies. Hurns is one. And with Beasley gone, we need more possession WRs.

Lots of quality players and we can't keep em all. We'll see who gets hurt.

It's hard to see the team keeping Hurns, Cobb, and Austin. Three veteran short short timers? Seems unlikely. But they all add something.

We have the rights to Smith, the 37th pick of 2015, for peanuts the next couple of years. He's going to get a chance.

I think Brown is toast. He's a tiny blocking TE. He hasn't shown anything as a WR.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
My WR roster ranking:
1) Coop - Top dawg
3) Cobb - veteran
8) Smith - speed
9) Johnson - speed
10) Guyton - speed
11) Davis - speed

1-3 are locks.

I want to discuss 4-8 cause that's where all the movement should take place. I view Noah Brown as a lock almost b/c he adds a skill no other can match...also a STs/glue guy type. Austin is on the bubble w/ Pollard here. Hurns is on the bubble w/ Wilson n Smith here.

So I'll be watching Wilson n Smith to see if they can make Hurns expendable, and I'll be watching how Pollard is used in OTAs. Austin could stay as a punt returner n deep threat alone, but he's also financially easy to cut.

I don't think Cobb is a lock. There's a lot of overlap between him, Pollard, Hurns, and Austin.

And Brown is toast. He's a tiny blocking TE. Hasn't shown anything as a WR.

I can see Smith bumping someone else from your top 7. Don't know who, but we've got the rights to the 2015 37th pick for the next 2 years for peanuts, and will give him every chance to let us take advantage of that.

waldoputty

Reaction score
would be nice if guyton or johnson would be as fast and explosive as austin.
anyone know?

gimmesix

Reaction score
Austin had our highest yards per target. Also highest yards per carry. You're right about his limitations in fighting for the ball deep. But his speed lets you lay it out past where the defender can get to. Austin isn't the ideal deep threat, but a good fit for us because he gives both the deep threat and the run threat. He's a threat both short and long, and in ways that complement the run game well.

Austin had six catches. One of those was a 64-yarder. (He did have a 44-yarder against Houston, too.) That skews the numbers for him. In his career, he has been mostly held to an average of less than 10 yards per catch, so he really doesn't do a lot down the field, which is part of why the Rams were willing to part with him. (For comparison's sake, a slower receiver like Dez Bryant has never averaged under 12, and Terrance Williams only averaged under 10 one of his six years here.)

However, we are in agreement that teams still have to be wary of him because of his speed. He can get downfield like he did against the Giants and Houston. His career just shows that he's not going to make very many huge plays. I'm not trying to disparage him because I like him in the role Dallas has given him. That doesn't mean Pollard might not be better at it, but teams do have to respect his speed both in the running and passing games.

gimmesix

Reaction score
As for Gallup, he doesn't have the speed to back off defenders in our base. That's most of what we need from our WRs in our base. Give the running game more room./QUOTE]

Don't know that I agree with you here. Gallup got behind his man plenty of times. If Dak had hit him, he would have multiple deep plays. He has functional speed in that he knows how to use what he's got. He's also got skills to go up and get the ball. If he and Prescott can connect, teams will have to protect against both him and Cooper getting behind the corners.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Hurns will be carried til August then asked to take a pay cut. If they want him. They went into a season with Hurns as our #1. They thought he had something. And he did show something starting halfway through the season. We don't have good red zone big bodies. Hurns is one. And with Beasley gone, we need more possession WRs.

Lots of quality players and we can't keep em all. We'll see who gets hurt.

It's hard to see the team keeping Hurns, Cobb, and Austin. Three veteran short short timers? Seems unlikely. But they all add something.

We have the rights to Smith, the 37th pick of 2015, for peanuts the next couple of years. He's going to get a chance.

I think Brown is toast. He's a tiny blocking TE. He hasn't shown anything as a WR.

I like Hurns and think he has some value. I'm not trying to knock him at all and think he could be carried if none of the young receivers step up.

Of the six in my roster prediction, there's really no way to know at this point if Wilson or Guyton will play well enough to keep. Same with Smith and Johnson. Both Hurns and Brown have at least showed that they could play roles on the team, so it won't be a surprise to me if they win the roster spots. I don't think that's ideal for Dallas, though, especially with Hurns of the salary and the role of the fourth/fifth receiver. However, if it came down to it, a pay cut could definitely make a difference.

As far as :"big bodies" go, Hurns is listed as just 6-1, no taller than Gallup or Cooper and shorter than Brown.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
My WR roster ranking:
1) Coop - Top dawg
3) Cobb - veteran
8) Smith - speed
9) Johnson - speed
10) Guyton - speed
11) Davis - speed

1-3 are locks.

I think Hurns is gone....he is back so that we won't have to pay injury settlement.....he will be in camp, then cut. cost too much for being that far down the list......Austin is also on the bubble...... yeah, he has speed, but injured often and not a good WR and couldn't unseat Beasley from the slot....how many jet sweeps do you run per game.....he has straight ahead speed, but not necessarily change of direction and quickness that Beasley had......

Wilson is got the leg up...... Guyton may get a chance, but probably a PS guy.....