Post Week 3: QB Statistical Ranking

DFWJC

Reaction score
If Dak keeps converting at this high level and keeps making the defense defend all our playmakers..again I expect the Cowboys offense to be tops in effeciency and that is what wins Championships...
It's looking promising so far.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
I skipped doing this until we had 3 games, but it's still too early.

There are two stats that almost always relate to (over the course of a FULL season) great QB play.

1) Standard QB Passer rating
2) Total TDs (Rushing and Passing) - Total Turnovers (Fumbles lost and Interceptions)

Take a QBs rating in those two areas and average it and you always get the top MVP candidates and All_Pro selections.

QB play has been great so far this year around the league....for the many of you that don't watch other teams.

These will change a TON over the next several weeks but they are after 3 weeks...so don't freak out.
Just stats...no bias.
I only included QBs that have played in 3 games.

1. Stafford
  2. Wilson
  3. Cousins
  4. Brady
  5. Mahomes
  6. Murray
  7. Bridgewater
  8. Winston
  9. Rodgers
  10. Carr
  11. Prescott
  12. Burrow
  13. Hurts
  14. Allen
  15. Darnold
  16. Garoppolo
  17. Heinke
  18. Jones
  19. Herbert
  20. Goff
  21. Wentz
  22. Ryan
  23. Jackson
  24. Tannehill
  25. Roethlisberger
  26. M Jones
  27. Lawrence
  28. Z Wilson
Taylor, Tua, Mills, Fields, Lance, Brissett all played some but not enough yet.

bubble22.gif

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Candidates to move up
Rodgers, Allen, Dak?, Tannehill?, Jackson?,.....Lawrence and Wilson (cant get much lower..lol)

Candidates to move down
Winston, Bridgewater, Darnold, Garoppolo
Tracking Darnold is going to be interesting this year. He made strides his second year, and look like he could be a franchise caliber QB if he continued upward. His stats weren't great, but an improvement and the team went 7-6 with him at QB. Then the Adam Gase dumpster fire happened. At the end of year, it will be interesting to see if he really is picking up where he left off in 2019

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
:huh:
Hurts did not have remotely near as good a passer rating as Dak did last night.
Not in the same universe

Dak was lights-out.
Hurts was...jag
Wouldn't even say jag. Pretty much all of his production was the definition of garbage time stats

Hoov

Reaction score
I’m not real big on a lot of stats that are used to rank teams/players but One of the stats I like to watch for offense is 3rd down conversion percentage.
Dallas is currently ranked 4th in 3rd down conversions.
The teams above them are chiefs, chargers and rams. I believe 3rd down conversion percentage says a lot about How well a QB is playing or managing the game.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I’m not real big on a lot of stats that are used to rank teams/players but One of the stats I like to watch for offense is 3rd down conversion percentage.
Dallas is currently ranked 4th in 3rd down conversions.
The teams above them are chiefs, chargers and rams. I believe 3rd down conversion percentage says a lot about How well a QB is playing or managing the game.
I think it tells you the efficiency of the offense as a whole.....including the QB.
If you have a good line, good play calling, good Rbs, good WRs, and good QB....well, you'll probably convert a ton of 3rd downs.

Dallas has all of those, so yeah, they should be converting 3rd downs at a high rate.

plasticman

Reaction score
It's a good start. Many had the Cowboys at 0-2 given their injuries.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
IMO, this is a useless list. This information ranks up there with the QB rating that had Hurts ranking higher than Dak in the Philly game.

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I skipped doing this until we had 3 games, but it's still too early.

There are two stats that almost always relate to (over the course of a FULL season) great QB play.

1) Standard QB Passer rating
2) Total TDs (Rushing and Passing) - Total Turnovers (Fumbles lost and Interceptions)

Take a QBs rating in those two areas and average it and you always get the top MVP candidates and All_Pro selections.

QB play has been great so far this year around the league....for the many of you that don't watch other teams.

These will change a TON over the next several weeks but they are after 3 weeks...so don't freak out.
Just stats...no bias.
I only included QBs that have played in 3 games.

1. Stafford
  2. Wilson
  3. Cousins
  4. Brady
  5. Mahomes
  6. Murray
  7. Bridgewater
  8. Winston
  9. Rodgers
  10. Carr
  11. Prescott
  12. Burrow
  13. Hurts
  14. Allen
  15. Darnold
  16. Garoppolo
  17. Heinke
  18. Jones
  19. Herbert
  20. Goff
  21. Wentz
  22. Ryan
  23. Jackson
  24. Tannehill
  25. Roethlisberger
  26. M Jones
  27. Lawrence
  28. Z Wilson
Taylor, Tua, Mills, Fields, Lance, Brissett all played some but not enough yet.

except for that over throw Int against chargers Dak has been on point in passing and timing....Gorico Platinum guarantee Dak top 7 end of season at least

Aulac

Reaction score
All I've been hearing was praise for Herbert....yet he sits there at #19. Was expecting to see him higher on the list.

He has multiple touchdowns call back in multiple games because his team keep making silly penalties like holding, false start, illegal shifts, and etc... Two TD called back from the Cowboys game and one TD called back from the Chiefs game. I think he had one or two TD called back in his W1 game as well but don't remember who they played.

DFWJC

Reaction score
except for that over throw Int against chargers Dak has been on point in passing and timing....Gorico Platinum guarantee Dak top 7 end of season at least
Sounds about right

Hoov

Reaction score
I think it tells you the efficiency of the offense as a whole.....including the QB.
If you have a good line, good play calling, good Rbs, good WRs, and good QB....well, you'll probably convert a ton of 3rd downs.

Dallas has all of those, so yeah, they should be converting 3rd downs at a high rate.
The reason I don’t like the TD to INT ratio is because a team that has a good o line and good RB like Dallas will typically call more runs near the goal line compared to a team that is more likely to pass near the goal line.
So a QB can play a great game and if the team runs for 4 TD and 0 passing TD then the ratio is not going to reflect how well that QB played