Potential HC Replacements

Chuck 54

Reaction score
There is absolutely no one to hire who would or could improve things now. That’s why you don’t fire a guy during the season. All potential hires in the NFL and college will be available in Jan-Feb, not now. Firing Garrett in season looks bad to all prospective coaches who have options. There’s not one guy on the sideline I’d even want to see as an interim coach.

This is the exact same fan whining and pretending they and the media actually know anything about football, while making stupid comments, that we read last season at 3-5 before the team got healthy and went on a roll with Cooper. Complain all you want, and maybe he should be fired after the season, but firing Garrett now is just stupid drivel.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Besides, think about it. Landry played defence and I think was quite a defencive head coach, yes? Jimmy Johnson was a defencive mind, yes? Bill Parcells seemed to really like defence. When we had those three, we had great defences and great offence to go with it. Pity about Campo, but we at least had the defence bit right. Just had Quincy Carter, Chad Hutchnison, and crew attempting and failing miserably to play QB. Wade Phillips had us with very good defence. Just a pity that Jason Garrett was a saboteur. More on him in a moment. Offencive minds: Switzer and Gailey (being born in 1992, don't know much about either and going on rep that I've read from everyone on the coaches up till Campo). And then there's Jason Garrett. Need I say more? My point is, our team seems to better, for the most part, when we have a defencive minded chap. Sort of the forte of our team. Maybe I'm overreaching a bit, but I think we would very much benefit from a defencive minded chap.

Plus, I think a defencive mind understands the importance of getting the ball quickly and moving us closer. Thus, making our offence tick better. Garrett, on the other hand, has given us spurts of good offence, but has typically neglected defence. In the NFL, you may want to have a good defence. I think someone like Brian Kelly and others would perfectly well to not neglect our offence, but can help us get the defence we need.
While Landry coached defense and made his name in NY, and while his fingerprints were on the Cowboys defense, he was actually the offensive coordinator calling every play during his tenure. Ernie Stautner was his long time DC

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
While Landry coached defense and made his name in NY, and while his fingerprints were on the Cowboys defense, he was actually the offensive coordinator calling every play during his tenure. Ernie Stautner was his long time DC

Oh, I did not know that. Then again, I was born in 1992. Still, do you think a defencive mind would be a good choice?

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
All 30 CowboysZone site rules should always be taken seriously, especially rules #1, #6 and

#7 - You will not post political discussions or comments.

This includes pictures.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have little interest in discussions of rants, reactionary diatribe, or whining. I like discussing solutions.

What potential HC are out there that would upgrade the team? Keep in mind that this is still the Cowboys with all that entails. Your neophyte prodigy might not be as good of an idea as one may think.

I really have no idea about the college ranks but would love to see what people have in mind.

The odd mixture of coaches on the current staff appears to be the top problem.

Kellen Moore is the OC but Garrett wants to be the OC himself.

Marinelli is the DC but Kris Richard is calling the plays.

• I would like to see Moore given an opportunity without Garrett completely out the mix.
  • I think Moore will have success somewhere in the near future and could be a Sean Payton type story if he leaves.
  • It would also be good to see Richard given full control without Marinelli in the mix.

2019 Recap
  • Fire Garrett.
  • Promote Richard to interim HC.
  • Give Moore Carte Blanche to run the offense.

Of College coaches, Lincoln Riley seems to be the top option and he appears to run an offense that is fits what is winning in the NFL now.

Zordon

Reaction score
The odd mixture of coaches on the current staff appears to be the top problem.

Kellen Moore is the OC but Garrett wants to be the OC himself.

Marinelli is the DC but Kris Richard is calling the plays.

• I would like to see Moore given an opportunity without Garrett completely out the mix.
  • I think Moore will have success somewhere in the near future and could be a Sean Payton type story if he leaves.
  • It would also be good to see Richard given full control without Marinelli in the mix.

2019 Recap
  • Fire Garrett.
  • Promote Richard to interim HC.
  • Give Moore Carte Blanche to run the offense.

Of College coaches, Lincoln Riley seems to be the top option and he appears to run an offense that is fits what is winning in the NFL now.
Would you fire him if they lose to the Eagles badly and promote Richard over the bye week? Any scenario you promote Richard or Moore to HC next season?

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Would you fire him if they lose to the Eagles badly and promote Richard over the bye week? Any scenario you promote Richard or Moore to HC next season?

Yes & Yes.

Fire Garrett & promote Richard to interim HC.

If it works, then keep Richard as HC next year.

If it fails, then hire a new HC.

Zordon

Reaction score
Yes & Yes.

Fire Garrett & promote Richard to interim HC.

If it works, then keep Richard as HC next year.

If it fails, then hire a new HC.
1. Do you fire Garrett even if it's a close loss to the Eagles?
2. What do you do if you promote Richard, defense still struggles but the offense flourishes?

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
1. Do you fire Garrett even if it's a close loss to the Eagles?
2. What do you do if you promote Richard, defense still struggles but the offense flourishes?

I've never been a Garrett "Hater" and I've said he has been a better HC than Wade Phillips or Dave Campo by a large margin.

Having said that, it's time for him to go.

They need to shake things up and it seems they're never going to get him completely away from the offense.

If they promote Richard to interim HC and the defense struggles, then hire a new HC new year.

If the offense really flourishes then consider hiring Moore as HC.

doomsday9084

Reaction score
Sean Payton is the next HC.

Sure hope so.

Firing Garrett now would accomplish nothing unless he is actively telling every coach to be an idiot. Assuming he isn't, Marinelli is still going to be Marinelli without Garrett. Moore is still going to be a deer staring at the headlights on that semi.

The Cowboys don't need some experimental coach. They need a top level guy who is going to come in and take charge. The guy who sticks out in that regard is Payton. Could they land him? Probably not but I would be willing to wait until the offseason to find out.