Power Football

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
95% of Zoners have already given up on the season. “Jerry wasn’t prepared for Tyron going down.” “Jerry didn’t address the WR position.” Jerry didn’t do this or that. The fact is, Jerry doesn’t do any of that. It’s Will McClay and the coaching staff who address personnel decisions.

If you’ve paid attention to OTA’s, Mini Camps, training camp, inter-squad practices and preseason games you would see that the Cowboys are going to be a power running attack team. At least, initially. This is because teams like Tampa Bay are going to dare Dak to throw the ball. They figure that playing a rookie at LT, a JAG at LG, a JAG at C, a HOF at RG and a JAG at RT is a recipe for a win. They think all of this because of Zoner posters. You couch potatoes have no clue. There’s posters here that habitually crap on Dak, the offensive line, the coaching, Perception becomes reality.

In reality, the Cowboys are going to be a power running game. Preseason is preseason but they’ve been successful running the ball in every game. Without the starters. If you can run the ball in the NFL then your offense is going to be successful. If you can play defense like the Cowboys can with that power running offense then you can go far.

The unknown that everyone is overlooking is the QB, The many ignorant Zoners here pound their chests saying “What has he won!!!!!”. They don’t look at what he can do. They don’t look at his stats. They only look at the fact that “He hasn’t won squat”. Those are the ignorant losers who only come here to crap on Dak and or the Cowboys.

That isn't a post. That is literature.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
There aint no way in hell Kellen Moore is going to allow this to be a power running team.. Yall must aint been payin attention..

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You have to be able to run the ball period. Otherwise the passing game doesn’t work Football 101. I suggest you guys get Football for Dummies. Y’all need it.
This only applies to QB who are game managers......and in our case....BINGO!!!

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Jethro and Son don’t find players. Will McClay and staff do. The Jones just sign the checks.
Yes, Will finds the players as VP of Personnel but he doesn’t manage the roster from that point.

I suppose you recall Gil Brandt who had same position as Will under Tex Schramm who was our GM. Gil wasn’t our GM as you are wanting to describe Will as. Will and Gil found the talent. Tex and the Jones manage it.

Jethro and Son role isn’t just to sign checks but decide who stays on the roster after Will finds them which includes the tough decisions with contract negotiations, drafting, trading and releasing which makes up our roster.

When you said Will makes all of the player decisions , that comes off like he does more than his role of finding talent as director of scouting. He’s not the GM. He isn’t making final roster and player decisions .

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Come on Rocky stop everybody hasn't given up on the season but people are very ticked off that positions that should have been addressed in free agency were left unattended and now it makes things quite a bit more difficult than it would necessarily have to be to get to the playoffs.

Whether or not Jerry is responsible for every bad decision is neither here nor there because if he's not responsible directly he employs whoever is responsible.

That said please don't flatter yourself and think that zone posters have any influence over anything in the NFL our opinion and a buck will get you a cup of coffee.

What is telling is when Nate Newton is on national television being prodded by Michael Irvin to say something positive about our offensive line and he absolutely refuses to say anything positive and basically just says they suck and are trying to get through with the game.

That in my mind and I would think any serious football fans mind would be cause for concern if you're expecting us to have a serious power running game.
Yes but Nate was referring to our backups who were playing that night. And he referenced his concerns with Tyler replacing Tyron and the hole he left . All valid concerns from Nate but he wasn’t necessarily addressing the rest of our starters on OL.

And yes, the OP is misconstruing McClays role with Jethro and Sons which I addressed in my above response to him. These distinctions are important.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Yes, Will finds the players as VP of Personnel but he doesn’t manage the roster from that point.

I suppose you recall Gil Brandt who had same position as Will under Tex Schramm who was our GM. Gil wasn’t our GM as you are wanting to describe Will as. Will and Gil found the talent. Tex and the Jones manage it.

Jethro and Son role isn’t just to sign checks but decide who stays on the roster after Will finds them which includes the tough decisions with contract negotiations, drafting, trading and releasing which makes up our roster.

When you said Will makes all of the player decisions , that comes off like he does more than his role of finding talent as director of scouting. He’s not the GM. He isn’t making final roster and player decisions .
Jerrah doesn’t decide who stays or goes. The coaches do that. The Jones have input because of the salary cap only. Give me a break.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Jerrah doesn’t decide who stays or goes. The coaches do that. The Jones have input because of the salary cap only. Give me a break.
That input with the Cap is influencing roster decisions. And a big part of the holes left on our roster today.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Theirs. Rubber stamp almost always.
Like Parcells accurately stated .. you have to convince Jethro to go against his instincts.

In the end regardless if it’s rubber stamping or not the buck stops there which he admittedly takes full credit for. It is what it is.

Our roster is in better shape because of the kind of talent Will is finding but our Mgmt of them is still suffering because of our GM and owners.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Like Parcells accurately stated .. you have to convince Jethro to go against his instincts.

In the end regardless if it’s rubber stamping or not the buck stops there which he admittedly takes full credit for. It is what it is.

Our roster is in better shape because of the kind of talent Will is finding but our Mgmt of them is still suffering because of our GM and owners.
I agree with you on that. Jerrah creates an atmosphere of entitlement. Players buy in to that and think they can just throw their helmets out there and win. I hate that about the Joneses. Their early success has them living in the past for 26 years.

Dre11

Reaction score
There aint no way in hell Kellen Moore is going to allow this to be a power running team.. Yall must aint been payin attention..

They ran the ball the first 6 games of the season a lot. The drop off came when Zeke was hurt, they were a top half the league in rushing attempts (12th) with 473 attempts the top team Tennessee had 551 attempts. Dallas 27.4 per game Tennessee 32 1 a game

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I agree with you on that. Jerrah creates an atmosphere of entitlement. Players buy in to that and think they can just throw their helmets out there and win. I hate that about the Joneses. Their early success has them living in the past for 26 years.
Yep. That’s a big part of it of course with our toxic atmosphere our dysfunctional ownership creates.

But I’m also referring to personnel strategic miscues like RB and WR by committee which initially hurt us needing desperate recoveries .

I’m not sure this offseason moves we made this year on the Cap were all sound moves either. Some prob necessary but did we react accordingly for the holes they created ?

These are they type of FO moves though that can hurt the team despite the great job Will is doing on the most part bringing in talent. It has to be managed better or it can nullify the work done.

Our GM and ownership continue to be our greatest handicap and hurdle to overcome regardless of better talent our scouting is bringing in and better coaching.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
They ran the ball the first 6 games of the season a lot. The drop off came when Zeke was hurt, they were a top half the league in rushing attempts (12th) with 473 attempts the top team Tennessee had 551 attempts. Dallas 27.4 per game Tennessee 32 1 a game

A lot of that was for ball control against inferior offenses. However, First game last year against Tampa, Dallas RB’s had a grand total of 14 Carries. Once Dallas was behind they threw that out the window.

Kellen has a penchant to abandon the run quickly when behind: While the game is tied or Dallas is leading, he runs over 47% of the time. However, He runs only 30% of the time when trailing. That’s a monster difference, one of the largest in the NFL. Other teams confident in their run games like Green Bay, Philadelphia, and Tennessee ran the ball 41%, 40%, 43% in trailing situations. Their ratios didn’t change dramatically when backed into a corner.

Now they play TB again first game. A high flying offense week 2 against Cincy. Again in week 5 against LAR. Then the Pack a few weeks later. There will be significant pressure for Dallas to get out to early leads.

Last edited: