Power Football

starfan1

Reaction score
They ran the ball the first 6 games of the season a lot. The drop off came when Zeke was hurt, they were a top half the league in rushing attempts (12th) with 473 attempts the top team Tennessee had 551 attempts. Dallas 27.4 per game Tennessee 32 1 a game
So out of curiosity how good were the defenses against the run that we played the first 6 games ? I know the chargers were horrible at stopping the run

I don’t think it’s that simple . Zeke being hurt was part of it but do we have the personnel to get it done
I’d love to have 2016 style offense but that team had the best line in football .

And they are not even close to that team in trenches. The team took a step back when they lost Leary then another step back with tfred. Now we’ve lost Tyron whom I think can be replaced

I think there’s a reason kellen airs it out as much as he does . You get a penalty or 2 and are behind the chains and then your defense doesn’t hold up their end then boom your a passing team

If we can have a top 5 defense and cut back on penalties and average 4.5 to 5 yards a carry against the league not just the crap teams we’ll be fine
60/40 split in carry with our 2 back system but those are big ifs

Dre11

Reaction score
A lot of that was for ball control against inferior offenses. However, First game last year against Tampa, Dallas RB’s had a grand total of 14 Carries. Once Dallas was behind they threw that out the window.

Kellen has a penchant to abandon the run quickly when behind: While the game is tied or Dallas is leading, he runs over 47% of the time. However, He runs only 30% of the time when trailing. That’s a monster difference, one of the largest in the NFL. Other teams confident in their run games like Green Bay, Philadelphia, and Tennessee ran the ball 41%, 40%, 43% in trailing situations. Their ratios didn’t change dramatically when backed into a corner.

Now they play TB again first game. A high flying offense week 2 against Cincy. Again in week 5 against LAR. Then the Pack a few weeks later. There will be significant pressure for Dallas to get out to early leads.

No a lot of that was because it was effective, they had balance, vs Tampa had a lot to do with Zack Martin being out due to covid and not being able to handle Vita and Suh in the middle.

Dre11

Reaction score
So out of curiosity how good were the defenses against the run that we played the first 6 games ? I know the chargers were horrible at stopping the run

I don’t think it’s that simple . Zeke being hurt was part of it but do we have the personnel to get it done
I’d love to have 2016 style offense but that team had the best line in football .

And they are not even close to that team in trenches. The team took a step back when they lost Leary then another step back with tfred. Now we’ve lost Tyron whom I think can be replaced

I think there’s a reason kellen airs it out as much as he does . You get a penalty or 2 and are behind the chains and then your defense doesn’t hold up their end then boom your a passing team

If we can have a top 5 defense and cut back on penalties and average 4.5 to 5 yards a carry against the league not just the crap teams we’ll be fine

I agree also with the penalty aspect, I also know Dak has full autonomy to change a run to pass or pass to run based on the box and looks.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
No a lot of that was because it was effective, they had balance, vs Tampa had a lot to do with Zack Martin being out due to covid and not being able to handle Vita and Suh in the middle.

It wasn’t just Tampa though, those were the ratios all season. Against SF, all RB’s ran a total of 16 times. Against the Broncos, 14 times. Against the Cardinals, 12(!) times. Against the Chiefs, 16 times(and none from Prescott). All games where you were behind early. Kellen has a very specific style of offense he runs, and this is a part of it

starfan1

Reaction score
I agree also with the penalty aspect, I also know Dak has full autonomy to change a run to pass or pass to run based on the box and looks.
I wonder how often he does it also I’d like to see Dak tuck and run a bit more

Dre11

Reaction score
It wasn’t just Tampa though, those were the ratios all season. Against SF, all RB’s ran a total of 16 times. Against the Broncos, 14 times. Against the Cardinals, 12(!) times. Against the Chiefs, 16 times(and none from Prescott). All games where you were behind early. Kellen has a very specific style of offense he runs, and this is a part of it

And a lot of that had to do with Zeke injury , penalties, and Dak adjustments to what the defense present. Offense isn't just ran by what the coordinator calls, it's also called by the qb after breaking the huddle. When Zeke was healthy outside of Tampa they ran the ball.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
Dollars to donuts Dallas is going to have the same, if not worse, problems running the ball that they had last year.

They did not do enough to address the core issue.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
And a lot of that had to do with Zeke injury , penalties, and Dak adjustments to what the defense present. Offense isn't just ran by what the coordinator calls, it's also called by the qb after breaking the huddle. When Zeke was healthy outside of Tampa they ran the ball.

Zeke was injured in every one of those games? He played in all of them. So he not only has to play but be 100% by whatever standard or it’s okay for Dallas to abandon the run? 12 out of 60 offensive plays is a severe tendency.

I don’t think Zeke being 100% is the requirement for Dallas to succeed on the ground. Pollard is good enough to more than supplement an 80% or 90% Zeke.

Dre11

Reaction score
Zeke was injured in every one of those games? He played in all of them. So you point is your run game is only contingent upon if Zeke is 100%? If he’s out there but not up to your standards then it’s reasonable for the team to no longer run the ball?

Zeke tore his pcl in the Panthers game, go look at the numbers, early in the season, they ran the ball 25-30 times a game between Zeke and Pollard.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
They ran the ball the first 6 games of the season a lot. The drop off came when Zeke was hurt, they were a top half the league in rushing attempts (12th) with 473 attempts the top team Tennessee had 551 attempts. Dallas 27.4 per game Tennessee 32 1 a game

The dropoff started when the line started shifting around. Tyron went down, then Collins came back, few games later the McGovern experiment started. Too many moving parts. Pollard couldn't run either.

This year looks like we'll live with no Tyron & McGovern starting all season. Hopefully they get this line set so we can at least build some continuity.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Jerrah doesn’t decide who stays or goes. The coaches do that. The Jones have input because of the salary cap only. Give me a break.

You havent been paying attention. Jerry decides who plays and who gets featured. Not every position, but clearly with Zeke. That is no longer up for debate.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
The dropoff started when the line started shifting around. Tyron went down, then Collins came back, few games later the McGovern experiment started. Too many moving parts. Pollard couldn't run either.

This year looks like we'll live with no Tyron & McGovern starting all season. Hopefully they get this line set so we can at least build some continuity.

it amazes me that people still dont understand why the drop off occurred. You do. Its been like this EVERY year. The moment Tyron goes down, the magical chairs begin and its over.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

Yes, when the run game isnt working and we fall behind by double digits, all teams are going to pass more to conserve time and play catchup.

Thats not a Moore issue. Thats a situational football issue. The run game was directly to blame for a lot of those early deficits.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
it amazes me that people still dont understand why the drop off occurred. You do. Its been like this EVERY year. The moment Tyron goes down, the magical chairs begin and its over.

Exactly, which is why I stated in a thread that I made that Dak's in serious danger. Jerry didn't plan adequately imo for this. He must've known that Tyron would miss time at some point this season. Yet, he didn't adequately plan. Failing to plan is planning to fail.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Zeke tore his pcl in the Panthers game, go look at the numbers, early in the season, they ran the ball 25-30 times a game between Zeke and Pollard.

This is what Zeke needs to be a successful RB:

1. 100% health
2. A top 5 Oline blowing open big holes
3. 300 carries

If any of those things dont happen he either cant get his yards or is borderline useless as a runner.

Zeke is NOTHING special. 40 backs in the NFL could have success given those 3 things.

Dre11

Reaction score
Do you believe it’s a mistrust of Pollard?

I absolutely think so, but I know part of it is protection. They pretty much split carries early then it dropped off.
The numbers early
Chargers 31, Pollard 13 car zeke 16 car
Eagles 31, Pollard 11, Zeke 17
Panthers 30 Pollard 10, Zeke 20
GIANTS 35. Pollard 14., Zeke 21
Patriots 27. Pollard 10 , Zeke 17

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

yah, but thats never going to happen with this line. The "Moore is pass happy" theory has been disproven. Its simply not true.