PPF: Dak's contract projection

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
My guess is hey can use their adult brains and Dak will allow them a 5th year but one a 5th year that voids or reverts to player option under easily meetable circumstances.
But what this shows is the cost of waiting 1 year for Dallas was 5 MILLION dollars per year.
He was offered 34.5M last year and said yes if 4 years.

You have Lamar, Baker, Kyler, Kyle Allen... young guys are coming who will get franchise money and Dak's deal will either rise or already be signed and be surpassed.
The good news is new deals don't really have to cost you a fortune in cap money until 2-3 years later and buy then the cap will have risen a ton.

Owners should be able to negotiate a cap on players QB salaries. Maybe something along the lines that no player can have a salary more than 20% of the cap. I would think most of the players would agree to it as it would create more money for anyone NOT a QB.

Jipper

Reaction score
But how why blame the players......their pay is tied to what 48% of league total revenues. Revenue go up, player salaries go up....not hard. When you mega-companies like Apple, Google, Amazon sitting on the sideline waiting for a piece of the pie, it's hard to blame the players.

BTW.....make no mistake, OWNERS are killing it too

I haven’t blamed anyone in my comments, just said I think it’s getting out of control.

dckid

Reaction score
That sounds about right but I'm guessing the APY will be closer to $38.5M but that's pulling strings. One thing I'm sure of, his APY floor is $37.7M ( amount of 2nd tag )

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-2021-free-agency-top-100-free-agents
1. QB DAK PRESCOTT
The prize of the free agent market, Prescott went down with an unfortunate injury after just four-plus games in 2020. With four full seasons under his belt, Prescott has finished in the top 10 of PFF grades twice while ranking closer to 20th in the other two seasons. However, Prescott’s 85.2 PFF grade this season would’ve been a career-best, and his 2019 and 2020 work is the most productive of his career.

From a macro view, Prescott’s play dipped as his supporting cast took a step back, but a revamped receiving corps has had Dallas’ offense moving the ball efficiently with Prescott at the helm. With solid accuracy, decision-making and mobility, he has proven capable of putting up high-end production, and he appeared on his way to establishing himself as an annual “top-eight” quarterback prior to his injury.

Contract Analysis: A second franchise tag would be valued at $37.7 million for Prescott, so the two sides finally agree to a long-term extension just above that on an annual basis.

Prediction: Cowboys sign Prescott for four years, $158 million ($39.5M APY): $115M total guaranteed, $75 million fully guaranteed at signing.
Move on from Dak. We got a good 5 years out of him. Find the next guy, that is what great teams do. Just look at Wentz, Cousins, Goff.
The Rams benched Gof in a playoff game, Cousins is a dictionary definition of average Qb. He is the luckiest QB all time to have cashed the n to the level he has. Wentz got benched for a rookie.
Find a cheaper guy, or this team is not ready to make a deep run, so why strap your salary cap. If I was Dak, I would sign with the Niners, Steelers, Colts, Saints, he could get the money he wants and a great coach. We benefit by not having to pay him.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Move on from Dak. We got a good 5 years out of him. Find the next guy, that is what great teams do. Just look at Wentz, Cousins, Goff.
The Rams benched Gof in a playoff game, Cousins is a dictionary definition of average Qb. He is the luckiest QB all time to have cashed the n to the level he has. Wentz got benched for a rookie.
Find a cheaper guy, or this team is not ready to make a deep run, so why strap your salary cap. If I was Dak, I would sign with the Niners, Steelers, Colts, Saints, he could get the money he wants and a great coach. We benefit by not having to pay him.

Who are these great teams that move on from their franchise QBs? Just churning through them?

Look forward to your reply.

black label

Reaction score
11514-animated_gifchat8etf.gif

fivetwos

Reaction score
Owners should be able to negotiate a cap on players QB salaries. Maybe something along the lines that no player can have a salary more than 20% of the cap. I would think most of the players would agree to it as it would create more money for anyone NOT a QB.
Yeah I agree there.

QB salaries skyrocketed there into a place that makes no sense.

I get that they are the most important player on the team but $40 million for one player??

Something is way off here.

Of course the owners will need to give something up in negotiations but I'd like to see something like this.

Its way out of hand.

dckid

Reaction score
Who are these great teams that move on from their franchise QBs? Just churning through them?

Look forward to your reply.
So let me put it this way, How has Jimmy G, Wentz, Goff worked out? How about Cousins? I would rather we take a chance on a player like Jameis or Bridgewater type. What benefit is there to go overpay Dak and then stil go 7-9 to 9-7 over the next 5 years?

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
Yep, that's why KC is letting Mahomes walk--it's what great teams do.
KC did just that to play Mahomes.

In 2013, Smith was traded to the Kansas City Chiefs. In his first season, he led them to a 9–0 start and their first playoff berth in three years. Smith went on to guide the Chiefs to an 11-game winning streak in 2015 and their first playoff win since 1993. During his time with the Chiefs, he was named to three Pro Bowls and led the league in passer rating in 2017. That same season he was credited as being instrumental in the development of future NFL MVP Patrick Mahomes.

dckid

Reaction score
Yep, that's why KC is letting Mahomes walk--it's what great teams do.
Yeah Dak is not in the same universe as Mahomes. Dak is good he is not Mahomes, Rodgers, Wilson, Brady, Peyton, Brees. You can never overpay a great Qb but don’t ever overpay an average QB.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
So let me put it this way, How has Jimmy G, Wentz, Goff worked out? How about Cousins? I would rather we take a chance on a player like Jameis or Bridgewater type. What benefit is there to go overpay Dak and then stil go 7-9 to 9-7 over the next 5 years?

That is true only if you believe we will have to settle for 7-9 or 97. Some do not feel that way. Playing musical QB is not what great teams do. As for the cap should Dallas sign him to long term can be done. Houston signed Watson on an avg 39 mill a year, however his cap charge in 2021 is 9 mill, after that the NFL will see a major increase in the cap as new TV contract are put in place estimated at over 100 billion. This will see a signifcant increase in 2022. So while there is going to be a lower cap in 2021 you will see teams with contracts that pay out much less in year 1 of the deal than proceeding years after 2022. NFL will last beyond 2021 and for many they will also look to resturcture deals to open up cap space for the 2021 season.

dckid

Reaction score
Don’t get me wrong. D
KC did just that to play Mahomes.
Dont get me wrong. Dak is good but he will not ever be worth the money the Cowboys have to pay him to keep him. He will never accept 25-28 per year which is the max he should be payed according to the salary cap.
We have had such an amazing cost per performance over the past 5 years. The team has not won with paying him 500k, now paying him 40 million a year will work out.

dckid

Reaction score
That is true only if you believe we will have to settle for 7-9 or 97. Some do not feel that way. Playing musical QB is not what great teams do. As for the cap should Dallas sign him to long term can be done. Houston signed Watson on an avg 39 mill a year, however his cap charge in 2021 is 9 mill, after that the NFL will see a major increase in the cap as new TV contract are put in place estimated at over 100 billion. This will see a signifcant increase in 2022. So while there is going to be a lower cap in 2021 you will see teams with contracts that pay out much less in year 1 of the deal than proceeding years after 2022. NFL will last beyond 2021 and for many they will also look to resturcture deals to open up cap space for the 2021 season.
You make good points but I don’t believe Dak are s at Watsons level. He is equivalent to Goff, Wentz, Cousins, Jimmy. Give him great talent around him he will be fine. We had 3 all pro lineman, Zeke, Cooper.
To me he is not elite and you will always hurt you team paying WB’s who are not elite ite.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score

No, no, no, you said the great teams let their QBs walk.
I was simply asking who the great teams are that do that. Who are these great teams?

Jimmy G's 49ers were leading in the 4th quarter of a SB less than 12 months ago. I think it's worked out just fine lol.

Because there is absolutely no guarantee that we only win 7-9 games with Dak locked up. It's a silly fallacy that a subset have created despite no factual backing.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
You make good points but I don’t believe Dak are s at Watsons level. He is equivalent to Goff, Wentz, Cousins, Jimmy. Give him great talent around him he will be fine. We had 3 all pro lineman, Zeke, Cooper.
To me he is not elite and you will always hurt you team paying WB’s who are not elite ite.

well that is your opinon others clearly do not see him. Same went for Romo some here felt he was great others said he wasn't. i do know QB is damn hard to find and teams who play musical QB can take a long time. Cap I am not worried about with a new Contract well in excess of 100 Billion by 2022. I don't fret over 1 down season for the cap and the deal will be more than do'able long term. One last thing don't kid yourself all QB need great players around them, Joe Montana did not do it alone he had Rice and Clark and for every SB QB I can promise you there was damn good talent around him. KC is loaded with talent besides Mahomes he is not a 1 man show

kskboys

Reaction score
What PPF may not have taken into account was on July 15th the final day to sign a player on the tag to a long term contract in the final hour or so Prescott was doing his own negotiating and they agreed on 35 mil a year but couldn't get the length and guaranteed amount worked out. Now there is another thing PPF may not have considered. Prescott grew up being a Cowboys fan and his dream was to someday play for the Cowboys. He's also smart enough to know that the extra couple of mil a year will not drastically change the quality of life he will have if he signs a contract at or close to the amount per year that he already agreed to. My guess based on all of the things that have been said about his character that he will be more agreeable that many that think that he'll hold out for every penny he can get. That was what Todd France did and that got him fired from CCA.
Really? The previous contract negotiations don't point toward him being smart. Or not holding out for every extra penny he can get, for that matter.

How'd you come to these conclusions? Just curious.

dckid

Reaction score
No, no, no, you said the great teams let their QBs walk.
I was simply asking who the great teams are that do that. Who are these great teams?

Jimmy G's 49ers were leading in the 4th quarter of a SB less than 12 months ago. I think it's worked out just fine lol.

Because there is absolutely no guarantee that we only win 7-9 games with Dak locked up. It's a silly fallacy that a subset have created despite no factual backing.
Ok settle down, maybe will was fast to make my comment but it doesn’t mean I am wrong. Give me a great coach like Shanahan or McVay vs paying Wentz, Goff, Jimmy the big money.
Niners cannot wait to get rid of Garapollo. Going forward there will be smart teams that don’t fall into the overpaying the average Qb trap.
Name me one time where overpaying the average QB worked out?
Ravens had to pay Flacco, Alex Smith no, Cousins no.
Btw you are stuck on the one point I made try to analyze what has happened over the past few years and how can we avoid those same mistakes??

kskboys

Reaction score
Ok settle down, maybe will was fast to make my comment but it doesn’t mean I am wrong. Give me a great coach like Shanahan or McVay vs paying Wentz, Goff, Jimmy the big money.
Niners cannot wait to get rid of Garapollo. Going forward there will be smart teams that don’t fall into the overpaying the average Qb trap.
Name me one time where overpaying the average QB worked out?
Ravens had to pay Flacco, Alex Smith no, Cousins no.
Btw you are stuck on the one point I made try to analyze what has happened over the past few years and how can we avoid those same mistakes??
Ravens paid FLacco after his super bowl.

I think Eli is the only one.

Brees got paid and it got them 4 years of .500 ball. Which is generally what happens when you overpay QB's. It results in mediocrity.

blueblood70

Reaction score
That sounds about right but I'm guessing the APY will be closer to $38.5M but that's pulling strings. One thing I'm sure of, his APY floor is $37.7M ( amount of 2nd tag )

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-2021-free-agency-top-100-free-agents
1. QB DAK PRESCOTT
The prize of the free agent market, Prescott went down with an unfortunate injury after just four-plus games in 2020. With four full seasons under his belt, Prescott has finished in the top 10 of PFF grades twice while ranking closer to 20th in the other two seasons. However, Prescott’s 85.2 PFF grade this season would’ve been a career-best, and his 2019 and 2020 work is the most productive of his career.

From a macro view, Prescott’s play dipped as his supporting cast took a step back, but a revamped receiving corps has had Dallas’ offense moving the ball efficiently with Prescott at the helm. With solid accuracy, decision-making and mobility, he has proven capable of putting up high-end production, and he appeared on his way to establishing himself as an annual “top-eight” quarterback prior to his injury.

Contract Analysis: A second franchise tag would be valued at $37.7 million for Prescott, so the two sides finally agree to a long-term extension just above that on an annual basis.

Prediction: Cowboys sign Prescott for four years, $158 million ($39.5M APY): $115M total guaranteed, $75 million fully guaranteed at signing.
:lmao::lmao2::laugh::omg::popcorn: