PPF: Dak's contract projection

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Yep that's cowboys for you, overpaying for mid tier talent. If they sign him for anything more than 34/yr they are making a huge mistake.
Ah yes, all the great $6m players they'd be missing out on at $40m...

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Man I love dak but 39mil a year? That just seems too much

It's a lot compared to what we could have signed him for following 2018 and even in that window after 2019 but before Mahomes and Watson signed their deals.

The number could easily go up if Lamar Jackson and Baker Mayfield sign deals before Dak

Proof

Reaction score
Ummm, not accurate.
France left CAA which is the second biggest company and TOOK ALL HIS CLIENTS with him to the BIGGEST agency.
It was merely a money deal where France was basically a free agent.
France left his high powered clients cooling for a year ot make this move.
Now those new long term deals get signed under the new company.
It gave France the most leverage anyone has ever had over a scouting firm and he obviously got paid a great deal if not a flat %.

Dak's agreed to deal was just under 35M. And France had issues with bonus amount, how money was paid out and length of contract.
Dak got involved and was fine with total amount of ~34.5 AAV but wasn't signing just as is and they ran out of time.

Then what happened?? Dak went with France to the new agency. Same as the Bosas and his other massive name clientele.
France is the 3rd largest player roster with many of the biggest names and likely moves up to number 2 now that he has taken a lot of Sexton's guy with him.

If anything this year has taught Dak that France was 100% right.
The site tied to both agents and NFL teams has just suggested his market value is 5M AVV higher than the best prior deal offered AND for the 4 years he wanted all along.
France was never unreasonable.
Dak made 31.4 Million and returned to free agency.
No one with a brain thinks anyone lost here but hr Dallas Cowboys.

I think you’re leaving out the part where Dak agreed in the midnight hour but Stephen said no to a clause saying no franchise tag

sunalsorises

Reaction score
Other than Dallas, is there a team that would pay $40 per year for Dak.

Please note, this is not a statement on how good Dak is, whether or not he can win a Super Bowl, what fair market value is for QBs in general. I am simply pondering if any other team would sign him for this money. To farther clarify, Dallas probably should unless they want to draft a QB this year and do a mini rebuild of sorts. I suppose Dallas could also use one of the two types of tags on him as well.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Why do you think he's better? He's been bad 3 of the last 4 games.

Good question.. the level of disrespect against Dak from these alleged Cowboys fans is fascinating. But I get it.. It's the "hot new chick" syndrome. I think if Dak comes back to playing at the same level he was when he went down he will be easily a top 5 QB. Marry that to just a decent defense and the 2021 Cowboys win 12 games and are the 2 seed in the NFC at worst. People rightfully point out that Dak was not good enough in 4-5 games last year when the defense WAS decent. There is no rational argument to that other than the Philly game when he was playing on no practice owing to injury. That was a twofold problem.. The coaches for trotting him out there in a compromised state and the front office for not having a viable backup for him. But he fell short in the Jets, Pats, Bills, and Bears games.. People will also want to call him out for the Packers game but those people conveniently forget that he had two INTs bounce off receivers' in that game.. The one to Cooper that hit him in the chest which might have scored and then the one that hit either Gallup or Cobb (I can never remember which) in the face and bounced into an INT. Dak was good in that game.. his teammates weren't.

Fast forward to this season.. No will convince me that Dak did not show tremendous improvement this season over last .. and he was already pretty good in 2019. He was bordering on great in 2020. Not just from a numbers standpoint but in how he kept this team from folding when it fell behind and how he kept bringing them back to take leads or get to within one score even while the line was in flux and the other team was pinning its ears back to come after him. The numbers were obviously great but the ability to inspire the team and to keep them from going into the tank cannot be overvalued. Belief in a guy is huge for a football team. This team believes as long as #4 is in the lineup they are never out of a game.. Even though the defense was the worst in franchise history it is only a couple of tweaks from being at least serviceable. A lot of the blown assignments we saw early were clearly a function of Nolan's scheme having guys out there thinking and not playing.. I think we get rid of that LVE gets better, Jaylon gets better, we can stop taking DLaw out on whatever Nolan called his "base defense." Maybe play three linebackers against two tight end offenses? Maybe the secondary won't suffer injuries to all 4 starters PLUS the two top backups? That might help too.. and last but not least.. maybe get a 1 tech who can actually play football. Hopefully in the draft..

kskboys

Reaction score

Please note, this is not a statement on how good Dak is, whether or not he can win a Super Bowl, what fair market value is for QBs in general. I am simply pondering if any other team would sign him for this money. To farther clarify, Dallas probably should unless they want to draft a QB this year and do a mini rebuild of sorts. I suppose Dallas could also use one of the two types of tags on him as well.
Maybe CHI or MIA. DEN.

I believe we should be either agreeing on a reasonable contract w/ Dak or shopping him in a sign and trade.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's not about what it will cost to sign that guy but how much to sign your guy? It's not about comparisons and rankings, it is about the absolute need for that QB1 and to keep the fanbase happy.

The majority of fans could care less about the cap implications, building out the team or ability to keep or sign FA's...until that rears it's head. They want their QB and don't care what a billionaire has to pay to keep him.

The one element of this, that is different, is that it is not the QB's contract that is problematic, it is all those other contracts and for the Joneses to make putting a team together the issue about this QB was stupid and wrong.

The decisions isn't about money, it's about the player. Is this player the guy they can count on to take the team to the limit? Some seem to attach a $ to that, why? Either he is the guy or he is not and if he isn't, the search for that guy continues.

I have few reservations that Dak Prescott is the guy than can deliver with the team around him. My apprehension is about these guys with the job of building that team around him and that applies to any QB. The QB is not the problem. I don't think the QB was the problem before him either. Far worse QB's have rings because they had better team builders.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Before that I would ask what kind of cap situation they have? Have they committed the kind of cap space to as many players?

Some teams could and would easily pay him 40M because by most rankings, he is a top 10 NFL QB. And they have the space.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
you don't like 39. but you are ok with 35-36...is 3-4 M going to make such a difference for this team? do you rather go with Dalton (yuck) or draft and gamble where majority of QBs drafted fail than succeed.....the price always goes up. 2 years ago, they could have signed him (I was against it at the time) for 28-30M, last year for about 35M, now the market moved to around 40 (watson, etc.).......next year it will move up to 45 and by 2024 it will be around 55-60.

RichmondFan

Reaction score

Dak is good, no question but not worth $30 - $40 million. (See Goff and Wentz!!). Let him fly, re-sign Dalton for about $14 million and take the remaining $25 million to sign about 4 defensive FAs and a left guard!! Move up to get Zach Wilson at #7 minus one of your two 3rd round picks (compensatory)! This will right the ship far quicker than signing one player!!

Jipper

Reaction score
you don't like 39. but you are ok with 35-36...is 3-4 M going to make such a difference for this team? do you rather go with Dalton (yuck) or draft and gamble where majority of QBs drafted fail than succeed.....the price always goes up. 2 years ago, they could have signed him (I was against it at the time) for 28-30M, last year for about 35M, now the market moved to around 40 (watson, etc.).......next year it will move up to 45 and by 2024 it will be around 55-60.

like i have said, the market inflation is ridiculous and not sustainable, and if the salary cap stalls at some point the bubble is going to burst. I understand the economics of it but you cant keep raising a contract expectation by 10-15% each year unless the salary cap moves by the same and at some point it will not.

I also thought 35M was high but on a 5 year contract it would end up looking good in years 3-5 so i was ok with it....and yes 4 to 5 mil can make a difference annually on a team in terms of a FA or two, or simply being able to resign a player or two.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Dak is good, no question but not worth $30 - $40 million. (See Goff and Wentz!!). Let him fly, re-sign Dalton for about $14 million and take the remaining $25 million to sign about 4 defensive FAs and a left guard!! Move up to get Zach Wilson at #7 minus one of your two 3rd round picks (compensatory)! This will right the ship far quicker than signing one player!!
Holy yuck, this is by far the worst idea so far.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
What if Dak doesn't want to sign with us ? If I where him i'd go spend my prime in Indy. Top 10 coach, well rounded roster, and tons of cap space
That would definitely show he prefers success over money considering moving costs and difference in tax rates between Cowboys and Indy.

sunalsorises

Reaction score
Before that I would ask what kind of cap situation they have? Have they committed the kind of cap space to as many players?

Some teams could and would easily pay him 40M because by most rankings, he is a top 10 NFL QB. And they have the space.

I think a team would only pay a QB that kind of money if it expected to win right away. I’m thinking like how Minnesota signed Cousins after going 13-3. I’m not sure how many teams have the cap space and can win right away. Maybe Pittsburgh if Ben is done and maybe Indy. Possibly Chicago or San Fran. An outlier could be the Giants if Garrett stays.

bandfan

Reaction score
I agree a lot of money but it is the market, People love claiming Dak is greedy? So is every other QB and player in the NFL who expects to get paid market value. Watson is Houston was paid that kind of money and we will see more QB this year getting that kind of money. Many Cowboy fans seem to think our players should never look to get paid in accordingly.
Everyone on CZ seems to think we should have all pro backups at every position that are more than happy to continue the rest of their career on rookie pay scale...