Twitter: Practice 8-23

Sydla

Reaction score
The Cowboys run pick plays too, this is nothing new

I am tryin to find it but I believe one of the best guys said late last year that the Cowboys were like bottom five in pick/rubs.

So they run them. Just not a lot, it seems.

DiResta

Reaction score
I am tryin to find it but I believe one of the best guys said late last year that the Cowboys were like bottom five in pick/rubs.

with Lal and a big turnover in that group I have a feeling we'll see many things we normally don't
I don't know if it's by design or is this something Sanjay insisted on at his other stops(?) but it gives you so many more options not being limited to Dez' route tree or limiting Beasley
everyone must know and execute the routes a set way
then you add Tavon and you have to believe they intend to use him a lot and from everywhere. wouldn't be surprised if he takes Witten's production as a safety net
how limited were they or were they limited?

DiResta

Reaction score
Say what you want about these guys swinging at helmets, but I actually LIKE the fact that this defense is sticking up for each other and has fire. I remember defenses of old when Sean Lee got popped by Golden Tate and nobody on the defense did anything
I love it and Tank is a leader it's the huge swing at the guys helmet that I don't like

DiResta

Reaction score
In this video version, go to the 15 second mark and watch on the left side of that scuffle. Taco comes around the edge throwing blindsided haymakers at Kadeem's and another Olineman's heads. Dirty ***.

Check out @MikeLeslieWFAA’s Tweet:

lol Lael at the end pointing to his head @ Tank
'think man. don't be stupid we need your *** healthy'

Dre11

Reaction score
Just not to the extent you see from a team like NE or Seattle whose offenses are predicated on them. The Cowboys prefer their players to win their matchups.

Right our system isn't. So more than likely they'll be just part of a package.

Dre11

Reaction score

Right, because our offense isn't predicated around pick and rub plays. Pick and rub plays are also dictated by the defensive coverages as well because the they work best vs man coverage

Sydla

Reaction score
Right, because our offense isn't predicated around pick and rub plays. Pick and rub plays are also dictated by the defensive coverages as well because the they work best vs man coverage

But I think the larger point is that you are seeing more and more teams go to them and especially teams that are looking to scheme ways to create openness in the passing game.

I think most of us can agree what one of the issues facing our passing game last year was that in fact, we weren't seeing a lot of openness and separation from WRs. You'd like to see some adaption and flexibility in our staff to try to scheme a better passing game given our own limitations.

Unfortunately, I think we simply have a stubborn offensive coaching staff, including Garrett.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
But I think the larger point is that you are seeing more and more teams go to them and especially teams that are looking to scheme ways to create openness in the passing game.

I think most of us can agree what one of the issues facing our passing game last year was that in fact, we weren't seeing a lot of openness and separation from WRs. You'd like to see some adaption and flexibility in our staff to try to scheme a better passing game given our own limitations.

Unfortunately, I think we simply have a stubborn offensive coaching staff, including Garrett.
How do you know? Every season is different, this one being even more so, and the season hasn’t even started. So you don’t know.

Dre11

Reaction score

This is the thing, you can't do everything unless you have personnel to do everything. Yo can't run every system or every concept especially with a qb still learning. They seem to be giving him more as he progresses , but right now they need to find what they're good at and perfect that, before they try coping every concept every other team comes up with.

Sydla

Reaction score
This is the thing, you can't do everything unless you have personnel to do everything. Yo can't run every system or every concept especially with a qb still learning. They seem to be giving him more as he progresses , but right now they need to find what they're good at and perfect that, before they try coping every concept every other team comes up with.

I hope you aren't making the argument that we don't have the personnel to run more rub routes, etc.

Dak is also heading into his third season so I am not sure about the whole he's still learning. Running rubs and picks aren't difficult concepts for players to pick up.

Sydla

Reaction score
How do you know? Every season is different, this one being even more so, and the season hasn’t even started. So you don’t know.

History. And history has shown us that the Cowboys tend to do things the same over and over and over.

At this point, thinking there are huge changes coming to this offense is just wishful, pie in the sky thinking. But that's no surprise coming from you, closet Eagles fan.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

The Cowboys have tried them but the WRs often didn't have good technique. TWill had a couple that were flagged and there was no chance he wouldn't get flagged because it was too obvious.

Even Witten had some attemts that were ugly.

I assume that's mostly on the coaches but maybe the WRs they've had just weren't good at doing it.

I do hope the Cowboys defense has improved against pick/rub plays. They've already seen some this preseason with mixed results.

Defenses need to use a switch-man option to deal with rubs routes against man coverage. With 2 WRs on the same side of the formation, the CBs play man; however, when the WRs cross paths, the CBs switch off with the inside CB staying inside and the outside CB staying outside.

I remember Scandrick trying to get Claiborne to switch off on some snaps but far too often they ended up both covering the same WR with only a Safety to pickup the other WR.

If the Cowboys CBs are really able to play the Richard Sherman style, it should help against pick/rub plays because Sherman was able to force or entice WRs to go between him and the sideline way more often than the WRs would go inside.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
History. And history has shown us that the Cowboys tend to do things the same over and over and over.

At this point, thinking there are huge changes coming to this offense is just wishful, pie in the sky thinking. But that's no surprise coming from you, closet Eagles fan.
Then why do you come here and **** on the Cowboys time and time and time again? You must be a miserable person.

Dre11

Reaction score
The Cowboys have tried them but the WRs often didn't have good technique. TWill had a couple that were flagged and there was no chance he wouldn't get flagged because it was too obvious.

Even Witten had some attemts that were ugly.

I assume that's mostly on the coaches but maybe the WRs they've had just weren't good at doing it.

I do hope the Cowboys defense has improved against pick/rub plays. They've already seen some this preseason with mixed results.

Defenses need to use a switch-man option to deal with rubs routes against man coverage. With 2 WRs on the same side of the formation, the CBs play man; however, when the WRs cross paths, the CBs switch off with the inside CB staying inside and the outside CB staying outside.

I remember Scandrick trying to get Claiborne to switch off on some snaps but far too often they ended up both covering the same WR with only a Safety to pickup the other WR.

If the Cowboys CBs are really able to play the Richard Sherman style, it should help against pick/rub plays because Sherman was able to force or entice WRs to go between him and the sideline way more often than the WRs would go inside.

Exactly, our WRs had issues running them and yes the Dbs have to exchange to deal with them.

Dre11

Reaction score
I hope you aren't making the argument that we don't have the personnel to run more rub routes, etc.

Dak is also heading into his third season so I am not sure about the whole he's still learning. Running rubs and picks aren't difficult concepts for players to pick up.

To be honest we haven't run them well. If you go back and watch how many flags we got for OPI you will see why.
And yes Dak is still learning the position. It takes longer than 3 years to learn the qb position.