Prayer Request...Updated Post #42

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
My Mom is headed to an Emergency room in a New Mexico Hospital in the morning. Just over 6 years ago she survived an infection that should have taken her life. They are afraid the infection has returned. If it has she will be transferred to a hospital here in Tucson where she will undergo hyperbaric oxygen treatments.

My Mom is a fighter. She lost her right arm in a car accident that was attempted murder when I was 9. When I was 11 she developed rheumatoid arthritis that has literally deformed her one hand and both feet.

The infection was caused by a brown recluse spider bite. They had to open her left leg up from hip to knee and knee to ankle to remove the infection. It put her in a wheelchair for the rest of her life. She can walk, but only short distances.

Not long after getting the wheelchair she had my young niece out for a ride and the battery died. Instead of finding a phone to call for help, she pushed the wheelchair and my niece home and broke her back in the process.

I know she is flat out tough, but I worry that she cannot take much more. I have offered to go to New Mexico tonight and get her to the Emergency room myself, or bring her back to Tucson to do it. She wants to do it her way, which is why she's going in the morning instead of right now. She's worried about paying a couple of bills and finding someone to take care of her dog. I told her I can do all that, but she insists.

Your prayers would be appreciated by me. Her name is Marty.

DallasCowpoke

Fierce Allegiance
Reaction score
Will do.

Give Marty my cheers for a successful outcome tomorrow and a speedy recovery.

Khartun

AmarilloCowboyFan
Reaction score
Sounds like she's a tough one for sure. I wish her the best! Thoughts and prayers are with her.

diehard2294

America's Team
Reaction score
just another bump in the road of life for her, she will be in our prayers

Avaj

Peace Be Still
Reaction score
Will be praying for her, you and your family at this time.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
Wow, well the good doctors will see her through and do the best they can for her.

Lets hope the body is willing and all goes well.

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
Hostile;3305067 said:
My Mom is headed to an Emergency room in a New Mexico Hospital in the morning. Just over 6 years ago she survived an infection that should have taken her life. They are afraid the infection has returned. If it has she will be transferred to a hospital here in Tucson where she will undergo hyperbaric oxygen treatments.

My Mom is a fighter. She lost her right arm in a car accident that was attempted murder when I was 9. When I was 11 she developed rheumatoid arthritis that has literally deformed her one hand and both feet.

The infection was caused by a brown recluse spider bite. They had to open her left leg up from hip to knee and knee to ankle to remove the infection. It put her in a wheelchair for the rest of her life. She can walk, but only short distances.

Not long after getting the wheelchair she had my young niece out for a ride and the battery died. Instead of finding a phone to call for help, she pushed the wheelchair and my niece home and broke her back in the process.

I know she is flat out tough, but I worry that she cannot take much more. I have offered to go to New Mexico tonight and get her to the Emergency room myself, or bring her back to Tucson to do it. She wants to do it her way, which is why she's going in the morning instead of right now. She's worried about paying a couple of bills and finding someone to take care of her dog. I told her I can do all that, but she insists.

Your prayers would be appreciated by me. Her name is Marty.

You've got it, old friend... may God be with her...

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
The kid in the OT Zone who got dumped should read this thread and gain a little perspective.

ethiostar

Reaction score
Stay strong Marty, our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
It's a given brother!

My thoughts and prayers are with your mother.

brickman

Reaction score
Hos,

She will be in my prayers. Tell Marty that the forum is praying for her.
Keep strong, brother. I'm sure she needs your love & support. The great thing about this forum is that everyone comes together in times like this. They've done it for me and I'm sure everyone is doing it for you now.
May she come through this with flying colors ond be on the road to recovery soon.

brickman

jwhardin

Reaction score
Zaxor;3305913 said:
Most gracious and heavenly father, we glorify your name and that of your son, Jesus Christ. We pray today, Holy Father, for our friend, Hos and his mother, Marty. We pray that you give them strength to deal with her illness and we ask that you bless her healthcare givers, give them the wisdom and skill to make her well. Be with her family, give them comfort throughout this ordeal and be with them for all time. We ask this in the name of your son. Amen

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Thank you all. Just got off the phone with Mom. She is headed to the ER in 10 minutes with her nurse. There are 4 possible solutions.

1. The infection is not back and something else is wrong. Unlikely, but possible.

2. The infection is back, but can be controlled with normal antibiotics and her resting at home or with a brief stay in the hospital. Also unlikely, but this is what we are most hoping for. My Mom is very independent. That is why she lives in New Mexico even though all 3 of her kids live in Tucson. She is a private person. She has accepted the fact that she has to have daily nurses, but if she has to give up any more freedom she will probably give up.

3. The infection is back and she will need IV antibiotics, but can receive them in New Mexico. We believe this is the most likely scenario after her nurse's exam this morning. No fevers anywhere except the painful spots on her legs. It will depend on the toxicity levels they come up with when they examine the sores.

4. The infection is back and needs aggressive hyperbaric oxygen treatments and long term hospitalization in Tucson. If this is the case she will be brought by ambulance today. There is a possibility they would life flight her due to the need to attack this infection. She could lose her leg if this happens. That would mean no more living at home alone. She would have to be in a nursing home. There is no other solution. She is dreading this. So am I.