Pre-Game Superbowl Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score
"The 49ers and Chiefs have plenty in common. They're both built in the image of brilliant offensive minds in Kyle Shanahan and Andy Reid. Their offensive philosophies, at their core, are identical: speed kills. They force defenses to guard every blade of grass on the field and punish them in seconds when they try to get away with taking a play off. At their best, it seems absurd that anybody could stop them. For most of this postseason, nobody has.

Of course, these teams serve up the same problems in two totally different ways. The Chiefs have to set an alarm on their phone to remind themselves to run the ball; this is the offense that called 31 pass plays against just six runs while scoring seven consecutive touchdowns in a furious onslaught of a comeback against the Texans in the divisional round. The 49ers, meanwhile, have dialed up runs on 71 of their past 88 plays.

You can make a credible case for each side using the weapon the other doesn't have to win in Miami. The 49ers have a dominant front four and the league's second-best defense. The Chiefs have Patrick Mahomes, and that seems to grant them access to a previously unimaginable realm of football at his best." -- Bill Barnwell, senior NFL writer

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score
This will be the second Super Bowl between a team that led its conference in rushing yards (49ers) and one that led its conference in passing yards (Chiefs). The Chiefs have gained 73% of their yards this postseason through the air, and the 49ers have gained 71% of their yards on the ground.

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score
Mahomes has an NFL-best 91 QBR vs. zone coverage this season, but the 49ers play zone at the second-highest rate (64%) and limit opposing quarterbacks to an NFL-low 4.7 yards per dropback when using zone.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Here’s an interesting stat the team that’s had the most sacks in the Super Bowl has won the last six. Defense usually prevails in Super Bowls against great QBs and great offenses. Going to be tough to stop Mahomes but the 49ers can play some defense and Bosa has been a real game wrecker. The Chiefs got behind by two or more scores in both their playoff games. If they get down by two or more scores to SF they could be in some trouble. Not sure I trust KC’s defense.

Last edited:

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
:lmao:
3nyyi9.jpg
https://imgflip.com/memegenerator

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score
Including the playoffs, Kansas City has held opposing QBs to a 62% completion rate on play-action passes, the third-lowest in the NFL. The 49ers used play-action on 32% of dropbacks this season.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
I typically only cheer for my team but sometimes I cheer for certain players. I am cheering for the Texas native Patrick but I honestly feel the 49ers is the better overall team.

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score
  • FPI predicts a Chiefs victory in 64.8% of its simulations by an average of 5 points. It is the heaviest favorite that FPI has predicted in a Super Bowl since the metric's inception in 2009.

• Our matchup rating grades 49ers-Chiefs as 97.2 on a scale of 1 to 100. It is the sixth-highest Super Bowl matchup rating since 2009.

• The Chiefs were No. 1 in FPI this season, while the 49ers were No. 4.

• In the preseason, the Chiefs had a 27.1% chance to make the Super Bowl per FPI, but the 49ers were looking at a slim 2.8% chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.