Game Day Pre-season Cowboys vs Texans Second half game thread

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Players who stood out: Irving, King, Swanson, Frazier, Brown, McAdoo on defense. Rod Smith on offense.

That's just an immediate reaction. There may be a couple more.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
OK, this second half has been awful from an offensive standpoint. It is interesting to see Houston dial up blitz after blitz while we continue dropping into coverage with no blitzing. I feel somewhat bad for our guys that they really aren't put in a position to excel....they are almost set up to fail.

TheDude

McLovin
Reaction score
Tennessee just got hella lucky against APp ST.

Fumble at goalline in overtime and recovered for TD

starfrombirth

Reaction score
ok...on the shower debate. I get that he is playing with scrubs ... but he is playing against scrubs too. And I was a supporter of his last year. He has nothing but a fastball, cant read defenses, misses the open guy and takes waaaay to long to decide to throw. He was staring at Andy Jones for 15 yards coming across the middle for a first down b4 he decided to throw it to him out of bounds.... and that was just the last of many decisions like that he has made all night. The boys really might be looking for a veteran because Showers has shown nothing to inspire confidence that he can be a competent backup at all.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
OK, this second half has been awful from an offensive standpoint. It is interesting to see Houston dial up blitz after blitz while we continue dropping into coverage with no blitzing. I feel somewhat bad for our guys that they really aren't put in a position to excel....they are almost set up to fail.

honestly when i think back on all these tampa 2 ish teams in recent years there teams were all thin and the pre seasons were bad...tampa, indy, detroit, seattle...holmgren years....etc...

i just dislike this scheme. This roster needs serious work. once again no romo to hide the warts could mean a lot of losing in the next month.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
after tonight

sanchez, davis, murray, steve deberg...doesnt matter just please sign one of them and have them practicing monday.

this is a desperate situation.

We got him....he was wearing #14 and a hat on the sidelines tonight.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Absolutely loved Irvin discussing the defense having Scandrick back when Brown made the pick 6. He said he guarantees Scandrick was in his ear beforehand telling him uncle Weeden may give him one on the out route. Sure enough, he did. And sure enough, scoll forward to the sideline after the pic and there is Scandrick and young Brown huddled up talking about it.

Also loved after Showers threw the pick on a pass to Escobar, Witten is explaining to Dak the nuances of the play and Dak is 100% engaged. Animated even.

Good team chemistry
:clap:

Last edited:

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The d did have 2 turnovers tonight, and one of them a pick 6....so Rod's teachings at least got though to some back ups...lol....

kevm3

Reaction score
I want Showers to succeed because he's from the city I grew up in, but it's clear as day Dak Prescott is on another level. Now what really concerns me is that Brandon Weeden threw a 60+ yard bomb and actually looked somewhat decent from what I've watched. Now he was playing against backups, but then again Weeden DID win a game with the Texans as a starter, but couldn't do that with us. I'm saying that to say that I hope Dak doesn't regress, because I'm not super confident in the record of this current staff in developing quarterbacks. We have the real deal with Prescott. I hope he just gets the proper coaching to fully develop.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
Players who stood out: Irving, King, Swanson, Frazier, Brown, McAdoo on defense. Rod Smith on offense.

That's just an immediate reaction. There may be a couple more.

I kind of agree, although considering they were going up against 3rd stringers I would have liked to see more out of Irving, Russell and McAdoo. I think Rod Smith offers more on offense than Jackson does. Keith Smith is a jack of all trades. Going to be interesting to see what they do at FB and RB. I think Brendel and Mack did ok, PS candidates. None of the receivers really showed me anything. None of them were really getting open and the few that did didn't make catches. How many are on PS now? Is it 10?

QB - Showers
RB - Jackson
WR - Jones
OL - Brendel
OL - Mack
DL - Coe
DL - Okoye
LB - Akunne
LB - King
CB - Swanson
S - Frey

That is one too many. Any changes? With Gregory and Lawrence out I think that McAdoo and Russell probably make the 53. If we sign another QB I would probably drop Showers. He really blew it tonight. Coaches didn't help....and that scares me when I think about them trying to play to Dak's strengths.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
I want Showers to succeed because he's from the city I grew up in, but it's clear as day Dak Prescott is on another level. Now what really concerns me is that Brandon Weeden threw a 60+ yard bomb and actually looked somewhat decent from what I've watched. Now he was playing against backups, but then again Weeden DID win a game with the Texans as a starter, but couldn't do that with us. I'm saying that to say that I hope Dak doesn't regress, because I'm not super confident in the record of this current staff in developing quarterbacks. We have the real deal with Prescott. I hope he just gets the proper coaching to fully develop.

Weeden also threw a pick six that was awful. He is the same POS he was last year.....he will never ever wear a star again.

EPL0c0

The Funcooker
Reaction score
Andy Jones: 7targets, 2rec
Gavin Escobar: 5 targets, 1 rec
Devin Street: 2 targets, 0 rec

Not always the best throws, but most were catchable