Premature Draft Selection...

a_minimalist

Reaction score
based one what we know right now...what 4 positions would you draft first next year. If people actually want to do this I'll make another one every month into the season.

I know it's early and things change but I thought it would be fun. For some it will be obvious and for others, I'm sure they will have their own philosophies and theories.

For me...

1) Center
2) Free Safety
3) Wide Receiver

Nothing ground breaking, I'm just curious to see where everyone else's head is at.

kirkjrk

Reaction score
a_minimalist;4659876 said:
based one what we know right now...what 4 positions would you draft first next year. If people actually want to do this I'll make another one every month into the season.

I know it's early and things change but I thought it would be fun. For some it will be obvious and for others, I'm sure they will have their own philosophies and theories.

For me...

1) Center
2) Free Safety
3) Wide Receiver

Nothing ground breaking, I'm just curious to see where everyone else's head is at.
For me:

1. Combo Center/Guard--Barrett Jones, Travis Frederickson, Khalid Holmes

2. NT/DT-- Jonathan Jenkins(also can carry for short yardage needs, think "The Refrigerator"; Jesse Williams(benched 600 lbs.-not a typo); Brandon Williams(small school player, looks awesome??)

3. CB (I feel we will definitely need a top notch CB next year. I even think soon after the season starts this year we will be hurting for a good CB)

FO will probably go OLB and Safety in first two picks.

a_minimalist

Reaction score
kirkjrk;4659914 said:
For me:

2. NT/DT-- Jonathan Jenkins(also can carry for short yardage needs, think "The Refrigerator"; Jesse Williams(benched 600 lbs.-not a typo); Brandon Williams(small school player, looks awesome??)

3. CB (I feel we will definitely need a top notch CB next year. I even think soon after the season starts this year we will be hurting for a good CB)

Interesting, #3 on a CB. I didn't see that coming.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
I would add NT to the list...and yes a CB in later rounds if Jenkins don't work out

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't like to focus on positions when it comes to the draft.

I prefer the BPA scenario; although you can sometimes use trades to match BPA to need.

I think Garrett likes to be traditional and values certain positions over others.

Traditional High Value Positions:

QB
Passrusher
CB
WR
LT

RB

Personally, I would put Center right after the 6 listed above and maybe even before RB.

a_minimalist

Reaction score
xwalker;4660143 said:
I don't like to focus on positions when it comes to the draft.

I prefer the BPA scenario; although you can sometimes use trades to match BPA to need.

I think Garrett likes to be traditional and values certain positions over others.

Traditional High Value Positions:

QB
Passrusher
CB
WR
LT

RB

Personally, I would put Center right after the 6 listed above and maybe even before RB.

Well if you were to draft by need, not BPA then.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
I don't think anybody drafts purely on BPA. Players are put in tiers and when it's time to pick unless someone is clearly superior they take someone at a position of need. Otherwise they take the BPA. They will also take into consideration the value of the position when making a decision.

a_minimalist

Reaction score
jobberone;4660211 said:
I don't think anybody drafts purely on BPA. Players are put in tiers and when it's time to pick unless someone is clearly superior they take someone at a position of need. Otherwise they take the BPA. They will also take into consideration the value of the position when making a decision.

I agree but everyone has their own theories and philosophies. I won't argue with them on that.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
The team could use reinforcements/upgrades at OLB, S, C, G, DL and WR. I think all of those positions will be in play.

supercowboy8

Reaction score
Lets see what we do in free agency.
Max Unger, Kraig Urbik, Andy Levitre, and Chad Rinehart will all be free agents.
Safeties Jarius Byrd, Dashon Goldston, Sherrod martin, and Louis Delmas.

You also have to look at our players like Spencer who is a FA. I think the 1st round this draft looks like a great chance to get another great pass rusher.

The 2013 draft as of now looks good for OGs, Safties, OLBs, 3-4 DE, and NTs. All just what we need. Also the free agency this offseason looks about the same.

RS12

Reaction score
Talent in college lies is pass rush and QB this year. I think you will see the Cowboys go both these directions.

a_minimalist

Reaction score
RS12;4660260 said:
Talent in college lies is pass rush and QB this year. I think you will see the Cowboys go both these directions.

I think safety will be pretty stacked too.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
kirkjrk;4659914 said:
For me:

Really?

That'd b e a shock to me. I think Dallas has their two prime CBs and may only look for a guy who's proficient but not spectacular, if they even look for that.

kirkjrk

Reaction score
Risen Star;4660206 said:
I would draft talent not positions.
I strongly believe in BPA at position(s) of need. I would never,almost never, select BPA. Why would I want to select BPA when I already had a Pro Bowler at the position the BPA plays. That position would be stacked but the position of need would still be a position of need. Somewhat of a wasted pick IMHO.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
kirkjrk;4660589 said:
I strongly believe in BPA at position(s) of need. I would never,almost never, select BPA.

And I'd never want you around the war room of my football team.

Need only comes into play when the talent's rated the same. Otherwise it's as relevant as eye color. This isn't veteran free agency. This is the draft. Take talent.

You keep chasing your tail drafting need and you'll always be needy.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Risen Star;4660857 said:

Need only comes into play when the talent's rated the same. Otherwise it's as relevant as eye color. This isn't veteran free agency. This is the draft. Take talent.

I don't think drafting need implies that you just reach for the stars and take a 3rd round prospect in the 1st round.

I'm also not sure that teams have guys separated by such rigid lines that the decision is always clear cut.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hoofbite;4661067 said:
I don't think drafting need implies that you just reach for the stars and take a 3rd round prospect in the 1st round.

I'm also not sure that teams have guys separated by such rigid lines that the decision is always clear cut.

I agree. I think it's more often than not that they have at least a couple of players with the same grade. Especially in the later rounds.

I highly doubt many teams go into a draft intending to draft this position this round and that position that round though.

a_minimalist

Reaction score
Risen Star;4660857 said:

Not to inception you but don't you think players of need, whether admitted to or not, are buried within the subconscious of anyone making the final decision. The people making the decisions have to be aware of the short falls of the team just by being associated with the team throughout the previous regular season. If a player is light years ahead of the rest of the pack yeah, you obviously take them. But, even then need plays a factor, however small it may be. If one of your weakest links is LB and the BPA available is a CB and you have a solid base at CB and a few spots later a LB that would fit into your defensive scheme perfectly is probably going to come off the board, wouldn't you draft them instead and not miss that opportunity?

I'm no expert and will admit to the fact that I know very little. But, from where I'm sitting it seems like that. I could be wrong though. It just seems like need factors in a little more in the first few rounds and BPA comes after.

ghst187

Reaction score
a_minimalist;4659876 said:

For me...

1) Center
2) Free Safety
3) Wide Receiver

The bad news:

Think we'll need
A) OL/C
B) Pass rusher OLB, not sure Spencer will return, even if he does we have look ahead
C) RB; don't suspect Felix will return
D) S
E) WR and or DL
F) to think about given an unexpected situation come draft time.....QB

The good news:
If we let Felix and Jenkins go (which I strongly suspect will happen), believe we should net two 4th round comp picks in addition to our regularly scheduled 4th, which would give us 6 picks in the first four rounds. Quality RBs and S's, even C/OLs can be found in the 2nd-4th usually (we got Murray in the third)
probably in that order