Premature Draft Selection...

dogberry

Reaction score
Only thing I can add would be a TE if Phillips is a free agent.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
1. DT

2. OLB

3. Interior OL

4. WR

Im tempted to put Safety at 4.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Hoofbite;4660407 said:
Really?

That'd b e a shock to me. I think Dallas has their two prime CBs and may only look for a guy who's proficient but not spectacular, if they even look for that.

Agreed. I think if we can't cover this year it will be because our passrush stays par for the course and the Cowboys will upgrade the front 7.

Verdict

Reaction score
Not necessarily in this order:

NT
Center
Pass rushing OLB (I don't think we could upgrade here unless a first round or 2nd pick is used)
Franchise QB (To groom to replace Romo in several years)
Guard
Tight End
Backup RB

If we could get 4 of the 7 categories listed, that would be great.

Reaction score
Risen Star;4660857 said:
And I'd never want you around the war room of my football team.

Need only comes into play when the talent's rated the same. Otherwise it's as relevant as eye color. This isn't veteran free agency. This is the draft. Take talent.

You keep chasing your tail drafting need and you'll always be needy.

NO draft is ever pure BPA. That would be silly. What if every turn you came to pick and you had a QB rated the highest? Would you draft 3 QBs in one draft? no...

It is ALWAYS a combination of BPA and need for the team. That is the only smart way to do it.

TheFinisher

Reaction score
I'd like to see how the season plays out and which guys on our team step up or regress before I start pinpointing positions. The OL obviously has some question marks heading into the season but it's entirely possible that this group gels and becomes formidable. OL, specifically interior OL, is usually more about how they work as a collective group, and that kind of chemistry takes time to develop. We signed some new guys and have youngsters like Costa and Arkin who still have time to develop, let's give these guys a chance before calling for replacements.

Interior OL to watch for:

Travis Frederick | Wisconsin
Barrett Jones | Alabama
Alvin Bailey | Arkansas
Jonathan Cooper | UNC
Khaled Holmes | USC

OLB could be another spot we look to bolster through the draft. Spencer, obviously, is the key to this. The team likes him enough to have franchised him this past off-season, and we have some pretty good depth with Butler and hopefully Wilber/Hamilton... but someone needs to step up and be that complement to Ware on 3rd Downs. This upcoming draft class has the potential to be loaded at OLB/DE, so if we're looking to make a change at OLB this would be the year to do it.

OLB/DE to watch for:

Jarvis Jones | Georgia
Barkevious Mingo | LSU
Sam Montgomery | LSU
Jackson Jeffcoat | Texas
Michael Buchanan | Illinois
Corey Lemonier | Auburn
Chase Thomas | Stanford
Dion Jordan | Oregon
William Gholston | Michigan St.
Stansly Maponga | TCU
Brandon Jenkins | Florida St.

Another area we could stand to bolster is our DL. The team was reportedly set to take Brockers at 14 had we not made the trade up for Claiborne, and with Ratliff starting to age and struggling with injuries early on we probably will target DL again this year. Spears, Coleman and Hatcher are all on the wrong side of 30 while young guys like Lissemore and Crawford are still fairly unproven.

DL to watch for:

Star Lotulelei | Utah
Johnathan Hankins | Ohio St.
Kawann Short | Purdue
Jesse Williams | Alabama
John Jenkins | Georgia
Margus Hunt | SMU
Bennie Logan | LSU

Phrozen Phil

Reaction score
Risen Star;4660206 said:
I would draft talent not positions.

Add me to that school of thought. We've seen too many players who just don't cut the mustard after "filling a need". It's great when talent equals need, but when you get a chance to get a good one, you take one. Best recent example is Murray.

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
I like Murray and Dunbar....I am absolutely sick of Felix (how many of his 9 lives has he exhausted already)....and I am not sold on Tanner, though I do like how he runs.

I would a late round sleeper at the RB position for sure.

At the top of the draft, in no particular order?

OL
DL
LB
S

I say wait until 2014 to draft a QB to groom for Romo.

The Realist

Reaction score
Assuming Spencer, Felix, Jenkins gone in free agency. Also have needs on DL, OL, S, and probably TE.

My top 3 priorities would be OLB, C, RB.

The guy across from Ware should be getting gravy sacks with all the attention Ware gets.

Center? Goes without saying.

As far as RB goes never draft a college backup and think he's going to dominate. I don't care how good the guy in front of him was. If he's not use to being the man he won't be. If Murray goes down we have major issues. Go draft another 2-4.

Eskimo

Reaction score
At the start of this season NT is looking alright with Brent and Lissemore manning the position in Rat's absence.

Safety actually looks okay right now with Sensy, Church and Silva. I still hope Matt Johnson gets healthy and contributes.

The position where we really struggle is the edge rusher opposite Ware isn't productive enough in the nickel defense. They only let Butler play 6 snaps so they have close to zero faith in his ability to contribute even against a team that mostly passes and cannot run the ball. I still don't know what to expect from Wilber but he is small for a pass rusher at 240 pounds and he wasn't a pass rusher in college so I'm not expecting much. Unfortunately we let Hamilton go so there is nothing on the PS for us.

I really think the two positions of major need are edge pass rusher (OLB) and a Center.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Eskimo;4716168 said:
At the start of this season NT is looking alright with Brent and Lissemore manning the position in Rat's absence.

Safety actually looks okay right now with Sensy, Church and Silva. I still hope Matt Johnson gets healthy and contributes.

The position where we really struggle is the edge rusher opposite Ware isn't productive enough in the nickel defense. They only let Butler play 6 snaps so they have close to zero faith in his ability to contribute even against a team that mostly passes and cannot run the ball. I still don't know what to expect from Wilber but he is small for a pass rusher at 240 pounds and he wasn't a pass rusher in college so I'm not expecting much. Unfortunately we let Hamilton go so there is nothing on the PS for us.

I really think the two positions of major need are edge pass rusher (OLB) and a Center.

I would rank our offseason needs like this, but of course there will be at least some change as the season progresses....

1. C
2. OG
3. OLB
4. NT
5. S
6. RB

I wouldn't sleep on RB even being higher. It's looking like we're gonna have Murray and a bunch of guys slated for next year and Murray is no proven workhorse type of back.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I'm down for picking a stud RB to play behind Murray in the 2nd, or 3rd round.

When we can run the ball we're a much better team.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
I'd rather get some other teams cast off like what Chicago did signing Michael Bush, as opposed to using a draft pick.

But I don't really know who will be available, so that may not work.

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
OG
Center
Safety
QB (Not before 2nd)
NT/DT
OLB if one falls.

Any combination of these

Reaction score
The last 2 drafts we have been linked to guys like Watt, Coples and Crick. Nothing ever came of it, though. Could 2013 be the year we take a DE like Montgomery, Werner or Hunt? Or OLB in Mingo, Jones, Porter? The amount of talent in next year's draft in the front 7 makes me think we will select somebody to improve that unit.

RS12

Reaction score
respectdatstar;4719731 said:
The last 2 drafts we have been linked to guys like Watt, Coples and Crick. Nothing ever came of it, though. Could 2013 be the year we take a DE like Montgomery, Werner or Hunt? Or OLB in Mingo, Jones, Porter? The amount of talent in next year's draft in the front 7 makes me think we will select somebody to improve that unit.

I see what you see.

DFWJC

Reaction score
a_minimalist;4715699 said:
Not many with safety. My heart hurts.
I agree. Safety is way up there for me.

Also, not that this thread is for this, but I'm in the camp that you always draft talent above need as well. What good is to to draft the correct position but the players aren't good enough to play long term? You can get need AND value if you play it right.

There is plenty of room to match need and value. There are usually several players lumped in tiers--so all else equal or close to equal, need is the tie-breaker. And, of course, you can always trade up or down to better match value and need.
The very worst drafting teams are always chasing need and not getting fair value. You'll see Balimore or Pittsburgh (and others) take players that seemingly have less need for when the quailty overlaps with value. Then a year or two later they look like geniuses.
You can do both if you play it right.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
supercowboy8;4660257 said:
Lets see what we do in free agency.
Max Unger, Kraig Urbik, Andy Levitre, and Chad Rinehart will all be free agents.
Safeties Jarius Byrd, Dashon Goldston, Sherrod martin, and Louis Delmas.

You also have to look at our players like Spencer who is a FA. I think the 1st round this draft looks like a great chance to get another great pass rusher.

The 2013 draft as of now looks good for OGs, Safties, OLBs, 3-4 DE, and NTs. All just what we need. Also the free agency this offseason looks about the same.

Max Unger
7/29/2009: Signed a five-year, $25.5 million contract. The deal contains $12 million guaranteed -- a $5.5 million signing bonus and all of Unger's first two base salaries. 2012: $2.5 million, 2013: $4 million, 2014-2015: $4.5 million, 2016: $4.25 million (+ $250,000 roster bonus), 2017: Free Agent