Premature Draft Selection...

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
a_minimalist;4660199 said:
Well if you were to draft by need, not BPA then.

I would prefer that the 1st round pick be a:

Pass-rusher - Need an SOLB to rush the passer and play the run. Also, a a 3-4 DE with elite pass-rush skills would be great to acquire.

Center - Assuming that the pick is in the later part of the round.

CB - Yes, this seems crazy to most people. The 3rd CB is almost a starter and the 4th CB usually gets significant playing time. Ryan's defense needs top notch CBs.
Scandrick is ok, but not great.

TheFinisher

Reaction score
I wouldn't mind going G/C early but this draft has the potential to be very top heavy at the Safety position; McDonald, Jefferson, Reid, Vacarro, Lester, Rambo, Shawn Williams, etc. I think we can be OK with Church and Sensabaugh as long as we scheme around their weaknesses... but that wouldn't stop me from grabbing a difference maker if he's the best player on the board. I think McDonald and Jefferson have the chance to be special players in the NFL.

a_minimalist

Reaction score
DFWJC;4719984 said:
I agree. Safety is way up there for me.

Also, not that this thread is for this, but I'm in the camp that you always draft talent above need as well. What good is to to draft the correct position but the players aren't good enough to play long term? You can get need AND value if you play it right.

There is plenty of room to match need and value. There are usually several players lumped in tiers--so all else equal or close to equal, need is the tie-breaker. And, of course, you can always trade up or down to better match value and need.
The very worst drafting teams are always chasing need and not getting fair value. You'll see Balimore or Pittsburgh (and others) take players that seemingly have less need for when the quailty overlaps with value. Then a year or two later they look like geniuses.
You can do both if you play it right.

Well said. I'm not for drafting solely on need. I agree that that has proven to be ineffective. I just think need always plays a factor in the first few rounds no matter how small a factor it is. Obviously reaching for someone like Bruce Irvin in the first is stupid. I'm in no way saying that should be done.

a_minimalist

Reaction score
xwalker;4720027 said:
I would prefer that the 1st round pick be a:

Pass-rusher - Need an SOLB to rush the passer and play the run. Also, a a 3-4 DE with elite pass-rush skills would be great to acquire.

Center - Assuming that the pick is in the later part of the round.

CB - Yes, this seems crazy to most people. The 3rd CB is almost a starter and the 4th CB usually gets significant playing time. Ryan's defense needs top notch CBs.
Scandrick is ok, but not great.

I'd be okay with this as of right now. I'd substitute CB with FS though.

I could def see us snagging a NT, DE or SOLB with our first.

Respectdatstar made a really good point in his post too about or first round pick.

Eskimo

Reaction score
Romo 2 Austin;4716435 said:
OG
Center
Safety
QB (Not before 2nd)
NT/DT
OLB if one falls.

Any combination of these

You can't just think of need on the roster.

You also have to consider how you manage salary cap dollars and whether it makes sense to cave into Spencer's likely ludicrous salary demands of $10M/yr for multiple years for a guy who is 29 years old and not an accomplished pass rusher.

For that reason I'd put OLB at #1 since we don't have one for next year unless Albright, Butler or Wilber step up this year.

I see our needs assuming Spencer, Jenkins and Felix are not brought back, Matt Johnson shows some potential this year and Kowalski comes back:

1. OLB
2. C
3. NT
4. OG
5. RB
5. CB
6. DE
7. S

Now how we draft will have at least as much to do with who is available when we are on the clock as our perceived needs go. What a great GM needs to do once prospects are rated and the draft boards are built is know when it makes sense to go up and get your guy or when it makes sense to trade down because the offer and potential players available later are worth more than the current pick based on your draft board and what other team's needs and draft boards are likely to look like between the pick and you have the picks you are trading for.

lkelly

Reaction score
kirkjrk;4660589 said:
I strongly believe in BPA at position(s) of need. I would never,almost never, select BPA. Why would I want to select BPA when I already had a Pro Bowler at the position the BPA plays. That position would be stacked but the position of need would still be a position of need. Somewhat of a wasted pick IMHO.

Aaron Rodgers waves hello from the green room.

a_minimalist

Reaction score
I'm starting to question if they will even think about Center if Cook appears to be solid. Maybe a Guard but knowing Jerry he'll be very happy with Cook, don't forget he was fine with Costa.