Premature Evaluations

hockix

Reaction score
Hostile;2431512 said:
We also will have 3 Compensatory picks.

Nice to see you posting. Hope you're feeling better.

I missed the 3 Compensatory picks....
In fact I missed a lot but back on track.

I'm out of danger... just getting back in shape... or at least the shape I can get back at my age.... :laugh2:

Still fighting but much better... thanks

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
hockix;2431526 said:
I missed the 3 Compensatory picks....
In fact I missed a lot but back on track.

I'm out of danger... just getting back in shape... or at least the shape I can get back at my age.... :laugh2:

Still fighting but much better... thanks
I am so glad to hear it.

hockix

Reaction score
Hostile;2430873 said:
It is the nature of fans to seek instant satisfaction. At times we do it and we look extra foolish. Like we've had some premature evaluations.

Tonight on the radio show I brought up 3 things a vast majority of fans were saying in pre-season and...oops, a little too quick on the trigger there.

1. Danny Amendola was the next Wes Welker.

Okay, so not everyone was saying it, but my gosh every topic about a WR returned to this kid and how he ran precise routes and had great hands and could pat his head and run his belly at the same time. Maybe he can develop into an NFL Wide Receiver. He was anointed great before he ever put a skin on the wall. Something we are still waiting for.

2. Martellus Bennett was an idiot, we blew it by getting rid of Fasano, we should cut him right now.

Going to be real honest with you here. I never did watch the rest of Hard Knocks after people got stupid because of one episode that had very little to do with what this kid can do on a football field. I lost interest. How foolish do his critics look now?

3. Tank Johnson is going to be our starting NT and free up Ratliff to move to DE and Tank is going to be our defensive anchor.

Okay, I admit it openly. I was driving this bandwagon. I must have been loaded on Nyquil. I could not have been in my right mind. He's had spurts of the kind of play I expected, but my gosh, and anchor? Only if I meant he was going to drag us to the depths and drown us.

As a special bonus I would also like to add that many thought we didn't need a backup QB. Brad Johnson is fine. Did you see the Minnesota game in Pre-season? Gag a maggot on a gut wagon.

I know we'll fall into the same traps next year, and the next, and so on.

I know it is the same in every team but it still makes me wonder how our coaching staff evaluates and if they really place the players in situations to make a real evaluation in game and on the field.

I absolutly can't understand how they couldn't see that our backup QB is simply not a QB anymore and let the other one go. Even my 8 years daughter said.. gees.. did he ever throw a ball?

We don't have the chance to see training camp but sometimes that must be evident no?

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
hockix;2431546 said:
I know it is the same in every team but it still makes me wonder how our coaching staff evaluates and if they really place the players in situations to make a real evaluation in game and on the field.

I absolutly can't understand how they couldn't see that our backup QB is simply not a QB anymore and let the other one go. Even my 8 years daughter said.. gees.. did he ever throw a ball?

We don't have the chance to see training camp but sometimes that must be evident no?
My hypothesis on what they saw in Brad Johnson.

1. A guy who in film sessions can identify all the right reads. This Offense is complicated. Intelligence is a very positive intangible.

2. A guy who in practices when everything is at 75% speed is going at 100% speed and it looks like he is in tune.

3. A guy who when it is live and 100% speed is still at his 100% speed which is 25% too lean for real live attacking Defenses.

hockix

Reaction score
Hostile;2431557 said:
My hypothesis on what they saw in Brad Johnson.

1. A guy who in film sessions can identify all the right reads. This Offense is complicated. Intelligence is a very positive intangible.

2. A guy who in practices when everything is at 75% speed is going at 100% speed and it looks like he is in tune.

3. A guy who when it is live and 100% speed is still at his 100% speed which is 25% too lean for real live attacking Defenses.

Exactly. So in practice our defense never pressed BJ enough? And they couldn't see that?

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
It's pretty clear by now that they rolled the dice, crossed their fingers, and prayed that Romo would get through another year unscathed. I don't mean this to sound political, but "hope" is not a strategy.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
bbgun;2431574 said:
It's pretty clear by now that they rolled the dice, crossed their fingers, and prayed that Romo would get through another year unscathed. I don't mean this to sound political, but "hope" is not a strategy.
I agree. That is exactly what they did. They thought that with a mobile QB and 3 returning Pro Bowlers that it was a safe risk.

In retrospect it was a disaster and that is a mild assessment.

hockix

Reaction score
bbgun;2431574 said:

Yeah... and we won't change the old engin of the second wagon of the train since our first is good and on track.... Hope :bang2:

I don't think we could know Tank couldn't be as good as we thought but BJ?
Rolled the dice would have been on a young QB since they don't know what would get out of the hat.

Anyway... I see your point.