Preparing to be disappointed with RB pick

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My gut says we will wait until 3rd or 4th round to draft a RB. I honestly think that is too late for a premier talent to replace Murray (who wasn't a premier talent but produced like one last year). The threat Murray provided caused defenses to have to account for the run on every play. I'm not so sure that Darren McFadden + Mike Davis/David Cobb/Buck Allen will provide the same threat. Unless we get a premier talent at RB, I think our offense takes a bit of step back. Just my opinion.

DeMarco Murray was a 3rd round pick. You can find quality starting RBs in the middle rounds of every draft.

Whatever back they select, I doubt it will be more disappointing that the sight of seeing Darren McFadden trot out as our opening game starter.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
DeMarco Murray was a 3rd round pick. You can find quality starting RBs in the middle rounds of every draft.

Whatever back they select, I doubt it will be more disappointing that the sight of seeing Darren McFadden trot out as our opening game starter.

It appears you've used the word "disappointing" as a negative.

Reaction score

A few other posters said this. While we found Murray, there are many other time we, and other teams, missed on mid-round RBs. With Tony's window closing, we dont have time to miss at a position that is so important to how this offense now performs.

ActualCowboysFan

Reaction score
Here's another from NFL.com on Murray

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/demarco-murray?id=2495207

ANALYSIS
STRENGTHS

Murray is tall with a muscular build. Possesses great burst and the top end speed to break the long one. Strong runner that consistently finishes runs and falls forward. Excellent receiver that can get big chunks of yards after the catch. Very capable blocker in pass protection.

WEAKNESSES
Does not have the vision to consistently find open lanes and looks to bounce the ball outside too soon. Runs a bit high and lacks the power to get the difficult yards between the tackles. Lacks the agility to always make the first man miss in the hole. Has struggled to stay on the field.

Both of those seem like the opposite of Murray.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
A few other posters said this. While we found Murray, there are many other time we, and other teams, missed on mid-round RBs. With Tony's window closing, we dont have time to miss at a position that is so important to how this offense now performs.

The challenge is hitting on the pick. Anytime you let a quality player go to replace him in the draft, you're taking that risk. At least at the RB position, you can get those guys in the 2nd and 3rd rounds with some consistency. In fact, I like the recent productivity from RBs in the 2nd and 3rd better than what we've been seeing from guys that have been taken at the top of the draft.

Reaction score
The challenge is hitting on the pick. Anytime you let a quality player go to replace him in the draft, you're taking that risk. At least at the RB position, you can get those guys in the 2nd and 3rd rounds with some consistency. In fact, I like the recent productivity from RBs in the 2nd and 3rd better than what we've been seeing from guys that have been taken at the top of the draft.

I agree. And I'm not saying spend a 1st round pick, unless its Gurley. But definitely our 2nd. Just cant wait until bottom of 3rd or 4th. Just not enough elite talent there.

Hardline

Reaction score
DeMarco Murray was the Cowboys defensive MVP last year.

Yes you read that right.

fishspill

Reaction score
I posted this in a thread on Fan Zone too but if you want a neat breakdown of what to expect from DMac next year there's a post on Reddit /r/NFL. Only one man's opinion but he put a lot into it. I'm likely just drawn to it because it fits my preconceived notion of the player and the type of back we should get, but you may find it interesting too.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Here is the problem. I don't think there is a single back in the draft that will improve our running game from a year ago. It's not gonna happen. Gurley is a big ? with the knee injury but might be the closest to an all around back like Murray. Murray could run inside or outside, could get the tough yard, could get yards in a hurry, could pass block and could catch passes. Not a single one of these backs in the draft will able to be able to match his performance as a rookie. No chance of it at all.

However, there are defensive improvements that can be made that will clearly improve the team and ultimately it was the defense that held us back a year ago.

Improve our running game from a year ago? Probably not. That's a tall order.

Keep our running game effective? Yes, I have no doubt the right rookie can do that, if we can find him.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
Improve our running game from a year ago? Probably not. That's a tall order.

Keep our running game effective? Yes, I have no doubt the right rookie can do that, if we can find him.

I think our running game can be effective with the backs on the roster. I think there are 5-6 that can be a big factor...but as you say, it's a matter of picking the right one. THere were a bunch of backs taken before Murray but he turned out to be the best for our system.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I don't want to offset. I want to improve. IMO, if we improve the defense and the running game drops off, we're treading water.

Depends on the contribution of the passing game. But yes, it'd suck to have a big drop off.
Even if Murray had come back, I didn't see us running it at that rate again. This league adjusts. My guess is we'll be more balanced...though we already were fairly balanced.

The defense will be better regardless, I think.

Hopefully special teams will still be in upper 1/3 overall.

Plankton

Reaction score
I went back and watched Buck Allen's highlights because I couldn't remember them. I wouldn't be opposed to picking him. I have more concerns about Gordon, Coleman and Yeldon at this point.

Best thing about Buck Allen is that he didn't have a lot of touches through his stay at USC, and should be relatively fresh.

However, it begs the question as to why he didn't command more touches earlier. Yes, I know he competed with guys like Ty Isaac (since transferred) and Tre Madden, but it would be a little concerning that he didn't get more touches sooner. That being said, he's a smooth runner who is pretty well rounded.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Depends on the contribution of the passing game. But yes, it'd suck to have a big drop off.
Even if Murray had come back, I didn't see us running it at that rate again. This league adjusts. My guess is we'll be more balanced...though we already were fairly balanced.

The defense will be better regardless, I think.

Hopefully special teams will still be in upper 1/3 overall.

Questions need to be answered for all three.

I agree we need to be more balanced, and would like for us to take advantage of those stacked boxes more, if we prove to have a back worth stacking the box for.

I hope we'll be better on defense, but we're hanging a lot on Hardy and the return of Lee. Spencer, Selvie and Melton were nothing irreplaceable last year, but they were part of a rotation that was at least effective, as were Durant and Carter. Do we have effective replacements on hand?

Same thing on special teams. Harris wasn't great last season, but he was good. We have to avoid taking a step back from there.

We seemed to have a pretty good amount of turnover for a team that was possibly a play away for the NFC title game. That's not necessarily a bad thing if we are able to effectively replace those we lost either with players we've brought in, backups ready to step into bigger roles or draft picks.

I'm all about keeping what you've got until you upgrade, but Dallas wisely didn't pay what it would take to keep upgradable players. Now it has to wisely upgrade them, and the only spots where I believe that has been done is at WLB if Lee is healthy and at DE.

Oh, and fullback ... can't forget the fullback.

waving monkey

Reaction score
I agree. And I'm not saying spend a 1st round pick, unless its Gurley. But definitely our 2nd. Just cant wait until bottom of 3rd or 4th. Just not enough elite talent there.

I too think the late second is chancy and our last option at RB ,.JMO

gimmesix

Reaction score

I won't have a problem with McFadden starting if he's the best back that we've got. I just would hope it's not be default because all of the others backs we've got suck more than he does.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
My gut says we will wait until 3rd or 4th round to draft a RB. I honestly think that is too late for a premier talent to replace Murray (who wasn't a premier talent but produced like one last year). The threat Murray provided caused defenses to have to account for the run on every play. I'm not so sure that Darren McFadden + Mike Davis/David Cobb/Buck Allen will provide the same threat. Unless we get a premier talent at RB, I think our offense takes a bit of step back. Just my opinion.
I think our best option is to trade out, pick up and extra 3rd and take a HB high in the 2nd between picks 40-45 where 2 of Ajayi, Coleman or Yeldon will be on the board. Yeldon IMO is " The Last Of The Mohicans" to use Jerrys terms.

IMO at other positions we are more in need of talent infusion then premier talent at other positions ( Hardy signing did alot for us in that respect ) HB is the only position we absolutely need a premier talent

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I won't have a problem with McFadden starting if he's the best back that we've got. I just would hope it's not be default because all of the others backs we've got suck more than he does.

How else would McFadden start?

gimmesix

Reaction score
I think our running game can be effective with the backs on the roster. I think there are 5-6 that can be a big factor...but as you say, it's a matter of picking the right one. THere were a bunch of backs taken before Murray but he turned out to be the best for our system.

That's the primary reason why I don't like any argument that says we can just get an RB in the third round, because well, Murray was a third-round pick.

Does anyone think if teams had to do it over again that Murray would have been a third-round pick or that he would have been taken after Mark Ingram, Ryan Williams, Shane Vereen, Mikel Leshoure and Daniel Thomas? Would our running game have been the same if we'd taken one of those guys instead?

People here chew on Murray for not hitting home runs, but which of these numbers would they rather have?

22 starts in 50 games (4 seasons), no 1,000-yard seasons, two seasons below 4.0 YPC (4.2 overall), one season with more than 5 TDs, longest run 35 yards.

47 starts in 53 games (4 seasons), two 1,000-yard seasons, no seasons below 4.0 YPC (4.8 overall), two seasons with more than 5 TDs, longest run 91 yards.

Forgot to include fumbles, the guy with 22 starts has had 4 and lost 2. The guy with 47 starts has had 12 and lost 8.

Guess I could include receptions, too. The first guy had 53 for 288 yards (5.4 avg.) and no TDs. The second has had 171 for 1,200 yards (7.0 avg.) and 1 TD.

Last edited: