Preparing to be disappointed with RB pick

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
How else would McFadden start?

I'm not going to rule out him returning to the form he showed in 2010 and 2011. I'm not counting on it, but I can't completely dismiss it.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
This defense would have to make significant strides to offset how dominant our running attack was and how much it saved the defense from exposure last year. Simply adding a CB or LB is not going to make it that significant. We need DE, DTs as well. That is one reason why I am more concerned about adding more choices in the 2nd and 3rd as much on who we pick at 27 if I had my way.

I do not understand how so many people just forget how much playing keep away and having a run game like we had saved that defense.

And yes, I am getting prepared to be disappointed with the RB. Thanks to our own success last year, the position is now back on the radar and a lot of the teams that pick in front of us in each of the first three rounds will also be looking for RBs of their own.

I agree somewhat but I bet it will be olineman, and not so much running backs who are going to be thanking Jerry Jones and co., because a whole lot of them are going first round thanks to the success of the Cowboys.

Gurley is special, he goes first round any year.

Plankton

Reaction score
I'm not going to rule out him returning to the form he showed in 2010 and 2011. I'm not counting on it, but I can't completely dismiss it.

There's more data showing him to be a 3.3 - 3.4 YPC guy than the over 5 YPC guy he was in 2010-11. It could easily be argued that those are the outlier seasons, not the years with lesser production.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
There's more data showing him to be a 3.3 - 3.4 YPC guy than the over 5 YPC guy he was in 2010-11. It could easily be argued that those are the outlier seasons, not the years with lesser production.

I don't disagree. I'm just acknowledging the possibility.

My problem with all of the running backs we have now is there are more questions than answers about them being to carry the bulk of the load and be successful doing it.

That's why I'm all for spending a first-round pick on a back, moving down into the early second to take one or at least getting one with our second-round pick. (I'm still not for waiting until the third round to take one because historical data shows the success rate drops off dramatically.)

That's why I'm all for trading for Peterson if the price is right.

VACowboy

Reaction score
I think David Cobb is being tremendously underrated. At 5-11, 229 he has ideal size, is durable, productive and runs HARD. You want a RB who will carry the ball 20 times a game and slam through 9-man boxes on first down? This is the guy.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
I think David Cobb is being tremendously underrated. At 5-11, 229 he has ideal size, is durable, productive and runs HARD. You want a RB who will carry the ball 20 times a game and slam through 9-man boxes on first down? This is the guy.

WEAKNESSES
Average improviser. Not a stop-start runner and lacks dynamic qualities. Gets yards on his plate and those that he grinds for after contact. Lacks lateral quickness to bounce runs outside with consistent success in the NFL. Average acceleration through the line of scrimmage, inviting a sea of arms to slow his progress. Fumbled in four of six games in the middle of the 2014 season. Needs more commitment to pass protection. Average hands as a receiver. Needs extended runway to ramp up to top speed.

Running a 4.81 forty doesn't help.

To me, he's a 6th rounder.

locked&loaded

Reaction score
WEAKNESSES
Average improviser. Not a stop-start runner and lacks dynamic qualities. Gets yards on his plate and those that he grinds for after contact. Lacks lateral quickness to bounce runs outside with consistent success in the NFL. Average acceleration through the line of scrimmage, inviting a sea of arms to slow his progress. Fumbled in four of six games in the middle of the 2014 season. Needs more commitment to pass protection. Average hands as a receiver. Needs extended runway to ramp up to top speed.

He got hurt during that 40. He ran a 4.58 - 4.65

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score

I agree. He will probably end up like a Pierre Thomas type and be very solid and reliable.

Gaede

Reaction score
Cobb is too slow. Not a fan. I didn't see the toughness either.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
Wait now, if we are going to move Cobb down from a 4.58 to a 4.7 are we moving Coleman to a 4.51?

Cobb ran between a 4.58 and 4.65. And who was even there? It's hidden away. I have no idea what his official time is because he was hurt every time he was supposed to run.

Lets take the average of say 4.61. Tack on .1 to make it closer to combine times. That's 4.71

Tevin Coleman actually ran at his pro day. Ran a 4.40 and a 4.39. Add .1 and that still gives us a 4.49. That would put him tied for 3rd at the combine.

Cobb would have been 25th.

locked&loaded

Reaction score
Cobb ran between a 4.58 and 4.65. And who was even there? It's hidden away. I have no idea what his official time is because he was hurt every time he was supposed to run.

Lets take the average of say 4.61. Tack on .1 to make it closer to combine times. That's 4.71

Tevin Coleman actually ran at his pro day. Ran a 4.40 and a 4.39. Add .1 and that still gives us a 4.49. That would put him tied for 3rd at the combine.

Cobb would have been 25th.

Hurt every time? He was still hurt from the combine. Minnesotas pro day was on March 2nd, not even two weeks after the combine was held...

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/...o-day-workout-sources-say-20150413-story.html

The ravens were there, but I heard they had to work there way through a labyrinth to get to it.

Cobb also jumped 38.5 inches... He is more explosive than people give him credit for and is not *slow*.

VACowboy

Reaction score
WEAKNESSES

Watch some video.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
Hurt every time? He was still hurt from the combine. Minnesotas pro day was on March 2nd, not even two weeks after the combine was held...

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/...o-day-workout-sources-say-20150413-story.html

The ravens were there, but I heard they had to work there way through a labyrinth to get to it.

Cobb also jumped 38.5 inches... He is more explosive than people give him credit for and is not *slow*.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1824389/david-cobb

That has his "workout" forty time as 4.73. Add .1 to that. That is slow.

VACowboy

Reaction score
Everyone wants a RB who can carry the ball 20 times a game, runs between the tackles and gets those "dirty yards," but they want him to run a 4.4, be a polished receiver and "have dynamic qualities" too. Other than Gurley, who is this player?