Twitter: Prescott to sign franchise tender

12+88=7

Reaction score
To those thinking he plays under the tag this year and signs a deal next year is going against history.

Only twice has a QB played under the tag, and each time they signed a long term deal with ANOTHER team. Brees and Cousins.

75boyz

Reaction score
Why now, why early?

My only guess would be Dak and his agent knew he would eventually sign it and with all going on in the world and the endless media distractions, Dak's Mom whispered in his ear and told him to sign it. France probably advised against it but Dak's Mom overruled him LOL.

But in the back of my mind, a little part of me would have enjoyed the following scenario:

1. Dak holds out.
2. Dalton starts and gets the team on a roll.
3. Cowboys and Dak come to terms on a contract at some point in the season.

The funny part would be the NASCAR 40 car pileup this place would have in regards to the decision on the starting QB. Posters bumping fenders, steering/countersteering to avoid the carnage then bickering and fighting on the infield grass.

Would have made for some entertainment seeing how fast the two sides would change their previous "logic"?????

OR....
Even a good old fashioned FAIR and legitimate Competition involving practices and pre season between the 2 in which whomever plays better, STARTS.

I mean Gosh Forbid Dak loses...

As you said, Ahhhh the carnage of this place would be priceless:)

It's the main reason to stick around

cern

Reaction score
He finally grasped the concept of the pie. The pie is the cap. The pie can be cut into a myriad number of pieces, but the overall size of the pie does not change. Stephen makes the deals now, not jerry.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
making a huge assumption his agent and camp would have done this, I believe NO, they would not have..they already had a number in mind and they were going to stick with it regardless of what wentz and Goff did..

There is no way to know for sure because the Cowboys were lowballing early in the negotiations (especially on the guaranteed money).

Qcard

Reaction score
For the trolls and liars on here who think he had to sign it to negotiate a deal... we all know that D-Law got tagged two years in a row. In 2018 he signed the tender and ended up playing on it. In 2019 he was again tagged but eventually signed his long term contract.
So when in 2019 did Lawrence sign the tender before signing the long term deal? Anybody got a link?
For the Dak Haters in here who don't think this anything other normal operating Franchise Tag to long term contract procedure for the Cowboys........:lmao2::muttley:

pansophy

Reaction score
To those thinking he plays under the tag this year and signs a deal next year is going against history.

Only twice has a QB played under the tag, and each time they signed a long term deal with ANOTHER team. Brees and Cousins.
Yeah, my initial reaction was concern because Dak may just say I’ll play under the tag and cash in next year. Unless the bottom falls out it only gets more expensive to sign him, and frankly if he doesn’t want to sign a 5 year deal now why would he play on the tag and sign even a 4 year deal next year? If he does that then he might as well have signed a 5 year deal this year and avoid the risk of playing on the tag.

So I’m not sure this is a good sign on the prospects of Dak being here long term.

cern

Reaction score

Brees?

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
yeah but DL also had the injury, and he refused to get the operation until he signed a contract, so if they tagged him again, he would have missed
most of the season.

D Law had even more leverage because he could have signed the tag, waited until late in the offseason to have the surgery, then get paid while missing most of the season. The deal got done basically right at the deadline for D Law to be able to recover from surgery to play in the regular season.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
OR....
Even a good old fashioned FAIR and legitimate Competition involving practices and pre season between the 2 in which whomever plays better, STARTS.

I mean Gosh Forbid Dak loses...

As you said, Ahhhh the carnage of this place would be priceless:)

It's the main reason to stick around

You are a BAD man! :rolleyes:

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Signing the franchise tag. All it does is let the team know hey I’m here let’s get ready. you know he’s going to get the money eventually. Just shows to me again he’s just telling his teammates I’m ready. He could’ve signed last year but he wanted to prove himself. And then Jason went sour and lost the team. People think he’s greedy.I think he’s smart.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Now all those people that think the Cowboys signed Dalton because they really wanted Prescott to sit out so Dalton would be the starter will have to come up with a new angle.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It does not extend the negotiations a bit. Stop lying and trolling.
Quit the childish name calling. You are right on this point, but that doesn’t mean he’s lying or trolling. It may just mean he believes something that is incorrect.