Game Day Preseason: Dallas Cowboys at Denver Broncos Postgame

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
If something were to happen to Tyron, I think he'd be on a quick learning curve. However, if Tyron were to leave during a game, I think the plan would be to move Steele over to LT, kick Martin to RT and put McGovern in at RG. It would be asking a lot of Tyler without any LT prep to kick out there during games. But we did draft him with that in mind based on the front office's comments right after we drafted him.
Anyone who even wants him at tackle really didnt watch his tape.

ESisback

Reaction score
I only watched the first half but it was ugly. The holding calls on Smith were bologna. I’m sorry but that wasn’t holding.

He “has a rep for holding”, and he’s a Dallas Cowboy! Penalties are a useful (and “legit”) way to handicap ultimate success. Good enough to keep around to suck the rating$ out of, but continued playoff losses bring good revenue also! On a side note, we’re all quite cognizant of the myriad of self inflicted wounds, so righteous diatribes of the overused “26 years” variety is both tiresome and useless.

One can scoff at the notion all they want, yet it happily continues, doesn’t it?

cowboyec

Reaction score
I love your optimistic outlook and a person can feel your excitement in your posts.

I don't share your optimism, but I'm not a negative person either.

I hope someday soon your cheery outlook for us pays off, have a great Sunday!
don't get me wrong...there was some bad.
but that will get sunlight o plenty around here.
it's harder to find the good.
but it's there.

Last edited:

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
I love your optimistic outlook and a person can feel your excitement in your posts.

I don't share your optimism, but I'm not a negative person either.

I hope someday soon your cheery outlook for us pays off, have a great Sunday!
It's refreshing seeing such kindness towards another poster instead of the typical bullying/name calling. :)

CoachD

Reaction score
Didn't take our first round pick to get his first holding penalty, actually he had two yesterday.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

Who? Tyler? Most of his problems at tackle were technique issues that certainly might not be fixed yet. The Cowboys view him as a future tackle. They'd probably prefer that his future there doesn't begin now. Frankly, I think he can be an All-Pro guard. Not sure what kind of tackle he'd make.

The only reason I mention him in the tackle conversation right now is if we don't bring in a vet backup. The only reason I can see us not bringing in a vet after Ball's performance is because our main option would be putting McGovern at one of the guard spots and either shifting Steele or Tyler.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
I agree, and that appears to be the plan for now. However, if we don't get a vet swing tackle, I figure it's either him or Steele that would go to left tackle if we lost Tyron.
Tyrone has not played a complete season since 2015
Odds are not good for 2022.
Hope I am wrong, but we need to be prepared for the worse.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Tyrone has not played a complete season since 2015
Odds are not good for 2022.
Hope I am wrong, but we need to be prepared for the worse.

Let me say, I did hear that Alarcon looked pretty good at left tackle. I can't say I really noticed him, which might be a good thing. When I go back and rewatch the game, I'm going to try to focus on the line, including him.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Let me say, I did hear that Alarcon looked pretty good at left tackle. I can't say I really noticed him, which might be a good thing. When I go back and rewatch the game, I'm going to try to focus on the line, including him.
Thanks, let us know your analysis.

Fastpitch Dad

Reaction score
It's refreshing seeing such kindness towards another poster instead of the typical bullying/name calling. :)
Thank you for the kind words!

I don't have the energy or want to argue opinions over the internet. This place has been my biggest source of Cowboy info for 17 years and I appreciate all the folks who post news or opinions. Thank you for all the articles you post as well!

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
I new that after they let Lael Collins and Amari Cooper go and did not spend the 20M cap money.

Which I'm fine with if they were building for next year and subsequent years. Of course, even if that's their intention obviously they suck at building for the future, as evidenced by the last 26 years....

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Who? Tyler? Most of his problems at tackle were technique issues that certainly might not be fixed yet. The Cowboys view him as a future tackle. They'd probably prefer that his future there doesn't begin now. Frankly, I think he can be an All-Pro guard. Not sure what kind of tackle he'd make.

The only reason I mention him in the tackle conversation right now is if we don't bring in a vet backup. The only reason I can see us not bringing in a vet after Ball's performance is because our main option would be putting McGovern at one of the guard spots and either shifting Steele or Tyler.
He wont be able to play tackle for at least a couple years. His hands are some of the worst ive seen. Him being in space would be a huge problem.

gimmesix

Reaction score
He wont be able to play tackle for at least a couple years. His hands are some of the worst ive seen. Him being in space would be a huge problem.

You may be right. I'm only saying what I believe the plan would have to be if we don't sign a veteran tackle. In case of injury to Tyron, Steele would flip to left tackle or Tyler would kick out to left tackle. Unless Ball shows sudden vast improvement, I cannot see him being a consideration for it. Since Steele has played the position before when Tyron was out, I'd say he's the probable solution, which would mean that Martin would go to RT and McGovern to RG IMO. Maybe we feel better about Ball at RT, but I see no reason currently for that.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
Not going to sweat the first preseason game. The Broncos played with the best QB on the field and it showed. Good running by the Cowboys.

Sydla

Reaction score

People are really re-writing history on this. Smith was taken to be our starting LG. This after the fact justification fans are coming up with as to why the Cowboys didn't sign a veteran swing OT is laughable. No, the plan wasn't, "hey, if Tyron gets hurt, it's OK we don't need a swing OT, Tyler Smith will play there!"

The Cowboys were banking on Ball locking down the swing OT spot. That was their plan. For one game, it looks like a bust plan. Unless Ball really progresses and Sat night was just an anomaly, if the Cowboys decide to not bring in an OT and instead will just start shifting OL all over the place, it's going to be a failed plan.

Leave it to the Cowboys to avoid paying a veteran OT and instead thinking, "shoot, let's just move this guy there and that guy over there and then this guy can go here and that guy can maybe go there!"