Pretty sure cowboy fans will be pleasantly surprised by this defense

CCBoy

Reaction score
Mo had a great preseason last year too-- got hurt and then went back to being average. Jones is a stud and Thornton is a nice addition as well. While we have gotten better in terms of talent and upside at safety and DT-- DE, and LBer are huge holes and we seem to have regressed in terms of accountability and discipline.

We lead the NFL in suspensions and we count too much on poor character guys you can't count on (Hardy, Gregory, and McClain). Throw in a serious lack of depth at LBer and DB along with a propensity for guys to get hurt a lot-- and I don't see much improvement overall. Just more of the same.

This team will go as far as the offense is able to take them.

One thing about the Cowboys' 'bad boys,' at least they aren't beating up women or unsuspecting citizens.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Rankings and stats are overblown. We need to be better on defense. Period.
Those two aren't overblown, as they have the highest win correlations.

I agree with you, and in fact I've made the same point you did several times. I was just pointing out how long it's been since it happened.

Sydla

Reaction score
I don't know about your evaluation, but I'm quite sure I will know a lot more Sunday morning than I know now. I respectfully disagree with this post.

You think you will know more, but in reality, you won't. Preseason games are largely meaningless, especially for key players.

Last year, the preseason told us and the world that the Eagles might be ridiculously awesome on offense and a real threat in the NFC. How'd that work out?

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
One thing about the Cowboys' 'bad boys,' at least they aren't beating up women or unsuspecting citizens.

Except Hardy. And now Zeke is being investigated, but I think he'll come out clean.

No--we seem to have a problem with dumb players more than violent ones. Gregory and McClain are proving to be knuckleheads. D Law will be alright in the end.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
Those two aren't overblown, as they have the highest win correlations.

I agree with you, and in fact I've made the same point you did several times. I was just pointing out how long it's been since it happened.

Turnover differential is even more of an indicator of defensive success-- and we were ranked #2 in 2014. Still didn't matter.

DenCWBY

Reaction score
I "believed" in Santa Claus and I "believed" in the tooth fairy, the Easter Bunny and so on because like all the other children, our parents said it was true.
So because you "believe" in the defense, they are "young and unproven" they are going to be good? Now Fuzz provided some good points that Oscan will be back and Jones in a better position to make plays, there could also be a few improvements in other spots but anything other than that, it's wishful thinking until you see it happening. Do you have any other evidence to back your belief? All I have is around 20 years of history with this same regime and it does not look to promising.
About this time of year there are always a few who momentarily just have this "feeling" we're going to be a great team this year. I always shake my head and just hope their not betting the mortgage on that "feeling". No facts or data or evidence to that "feeling", just a gut feeling. I used to live in Las Vegas and seen about 99% of those same people with a belief or feeling walk away from the tables with empty pockets.
Sorry I don't mean to be pessimistic or argumentative however I have to see it coming together in at least the first quarter of the season before making such statements. Again, I hope your right.

If this defense can be mediocre I'll be presently surprised.

coult44

Reaction score
I believe this defense will be much better than advertised, our secondary is underated. Our defensive line is young and unproven, but better than most people believe in. But I may be in the few that believe, but I believe the infusion of the young talent will surprise even the most pessimistic fans. We will know a lot after Saturday night, but I think the arrow is pointing upward.

I just want to know what you're basing this off of? Hope? Feelings? Camp video? Really, what?

Honestly I hope you're right. But, we lost guys that were there last year. We are missing how many guys because of doping issues? Coaching philosophy states the same. Until they play and prove otherwise, we have to say they are the same or worse than they were last year. The inky difference is that hopefully the offense will stay healthy for a few games to give the defense time to learn and get better.

cross

Reaction score
I read this morning on MSN that Dallas has the worst Defense in the League going into the season. They mention that the defensive line is the reason.

The rest of the world does not agree with you.
It's ok, I'm sure there are not experts in this world on this matter, keep watching espn bro, lol.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Turnover differential is even more of an indicator of defensive success-- and we were ranked #2 in 2014. Still didn't matter.
A differential stat isn't exclusively a defensive stat anyway, but if you mean our high ranking in takeaways, then of course it didn't matter as much as points per drive and DPR.

cross

Reaction score
I "believed" in Santa Claus and I "believed" in the tooth fairy, the Easter Bunny and so on because like all the other children, our parents said it was true.
So because you "believe" in the defense, they are "young and unproven" they are going to be good? Now Fuzz provided some good points that Oscan will be back and Jones in a better position to make plays, there could also be a few improvements in other spots but anything other than that, it's wishful thinking until you see it happening. Do you have any other evidence to back your belief? All I have is around 20 years of history with this same regime and it does not look to promising.
About this time of year there are always a few who momentarily just have this "feeling" we're going to be a great team this year. I always shake my head and just hope their not betting the mortgage on that "feeling". No facts or data or evidence to that "feeling", just a gut feeling. I used to live in Las Vegas and seen about 99% of those same people with a belief or feeling walk away from the tables with empty pockets.
Sorry I don't mean to be pessimistic or argumentative however I have to see it coming together in at least the first quarter of the season before making such statements. Again, I hope your right.
20 years? Lol. I bet you complain when Santa don't eat the cookies. I m early Saif we will be better on defense than most think, your right, is my opinion, it must suck to not believe. I can not promise we will be better, I just think we are much better off than we were, please watch the game Saturday night. Open your mind bro !!

DFWJC

Reaction score
I feel very confident that the defense will be better than last year.
How much better is more the question.

I think the offense will be strong, but I'm not sure if they'll match 2014.
But if the defense is better (and with more sacks and turnovers) than the overall team scoring may go up from 2014 anyway.

cross

Reaction score
20 years? Lol. I bet you complain when Santa don't eat the cookies. I m early Saif we will be better on defense than most think, your right, is my opinion, it must suck to not believe. I can not promise we will be better, I just think we are much better off than we were, please watch the game Saturday night. Open your mind bro !!
Sorry, my post has mis spelling

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Many say preseason does not matter, and you cant tell anything, but they all watch the games lol.
Starters should play a little early, and some things can be evaluated.
it isnt about stats, or win or lose, it is about execution, on a team and individual level.

If a qb throws high, low,or behind receivers, you can evaluate that, many things to look at.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
@ cross, defense could be good, or they might be bad.
you can learn a little from this 1st game, I will look at irving and mayowa if he plays.
jones as safety, and scandrick.
Also look at the LB play.
after 1st qtr is going to be a mix of guys who may not even play this year, so most eval will be in 1st qtr.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
I have never seen preseason that really tells much how about how good any team is or is not going to be

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
A differential stat isn't exclusively a defensive stat anyway, but if you mean our high ranking in takeaways, then of course it didn't matter as much as points per drive and DPR.

All that matters is winning. This thread was started by a fan who said there was reason for optimism for the 2016 D vs 2014. I disagree. The flaws on this team run very deep.

We were ranked #2 in forced turnovers in 2014. There is a high correlation between a positive turnover differential and winning. Yet even when we were "ranked" high in a very important statistical category-- we COULD NOT WIN WHEN IT MATTERED. I'm not arguing about which stat is "more significant"-- turnovers vs DPR and PPD. As you pointed out-- we agree that it has been far too long since this D has been relevant.

I am simply stating the fact that this D has too many holes, too many question marks, and lacks the discipline and accountability necessary to perform at a level to compete with elite offenses like NE and GB-- which they are sure to encounter in the playoffs.