Pretty sure cowboy fans will be pleasantly surprised by this defense

DandyDon52

Reaction score
I am going to check out the eagles and Commanders games tonight, look at the competition.
The giants play friday, and texans sunday
I am curious about the texans, new qb and lamar miller.

CCBoy

Reaction score
All that matters is winning. This thread was started by a fan who said there was reason for optimism for the 2016 D vs 2014. I disagree. The flaws on this team run very deep.

We were ranked #2 in forced turnovers in 2014. There is a high correlation between a positive turnover differential and winning. Yet even when we were "ranked" high in a very important statistical category-- we COULD NOT WIN WHEN IT MATTERED. I'm not arguing about which stat is "more significant"-- turnovers vs DPR and PPD. As you pointed out-- we agree that it has been far too long since this D has been relevant.

I am simply stating the fact that this D has too many holes, too many question marks, and lacks the discipline and accountability necessary to perform at a level to compete with elite offenses like NE and GB-- which they are sure to encounter in the playoffs.

Well...

property-real_estate-estate_agents-property_viewing-house_viewing-house_hunter-bfrn458_low.jpg

DandyDon52

Reaction score
I have never seen preseason that really tells much how about how good any team is or is not going to be
Well it isnt about team eval it is more about player eval.
you just look at how individuals play.
you can eval some team aspects, like are they getting penalized a lot and being sloppy or do the look sharp.

These games are for eval, not win or lose or even tds , score etc.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
@ cross, defense could be good, or they might be bad.
you can learn a little from this 1st game, I will look at irving and mayowa if he plays.
jones as safety, and scandrick.
Also look at the LB play.
after 1st qtr is going to be a mix of guys who may not even play this year, so most eval will be in 1st qtr.

Mayowa won't play, he is still on PUP / NFI list. They have practice today, none tomorrow, so if he could practice, that wont be enough to get him in there.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
All that matters is winning. This thread was started by a fan who said there was reason for optimism for the 2016 D vs 2014. I disagree. The flaws on this team run very deep.

We were ranked #2 in forced turnovers in 2014. There is a high correlation between a positive turnover differential and winning. Yet even when we were "ranked" high in a very important statistical category-- we COULD NOT WIN WHEN IT MATTERED. I'm not arguing about which stat is "more significant"-- turnovers vs DPR and PPD. As you pointed out-- we agree that it has been far too long since this D has been relevant.

I am simply stating the fact that this D has too many holes, too many question marks, and lacks the discipline and accountability necessary to perform at a level to compete with elite offenses like NE and GB-- which they are sure to encounter in the playoffs.
So should they just forfeit all games and call it a season?? get ready for next year?

Dallas is good enough to make the playoffs, now what they do after that is hard to say, you have to wait and see who they play
and how things are at that point.
All that matters is winning..... that has some truth, but is a poor way to look at a sport from fan perspective.
I enjoy the games, win or lose, as long as they dont look sloppy or real bad.

If Dallas got to the nfc champ game this year and lost, I would say it was a good season, and fun to watch, but you
might say it was awful?

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Mayowa won't play, he is still on PUP / NFI list. They have practice today, none tomorrow, so if he could practice, that wont be enough to get him in there.
Ok thanks, well we can look at Irving , russell or who ever they play early on DL.

Are the Rams the first team to go back to a city they left ?? I think they are.
Wonder if Goff will play? didnt he go to the rams? Gurdy will he play?

at this point watching scrubs play will be good lol.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
So should they just forfeit all games and call it a season?? get ready for next year?

Dallas is good enough to make the playoffs, now what they do after that is hard to say, you have to wait and see who they play
and how things are at that point.
All that matters is winning..... that has some truth, but is a poor way to look at a sport from fan perspective.
I enjoy the games, win or lose, as long as they dont look sloppy or real bad.

If Dallas got to the nfc champ game this year and lost, I would say it was a good season, and fun to watch, but you
might say it was awful?

Lol... Hyperbole much? Don't stretch what I am saying.

As I said earlier, this team will go as far as the offense will take it. The thread was started with a post that said this D was more talented and better than what we had in 2014. I don't see it. We're counting on too many question marks and have already started off poorly due to inactivity in the draft and FA-- and of course the suspensions.

If they make it to the NFC Champ game-- I will enjoy every second of it. And if this D turns out to be awesome, I'll be the first to happily admit I was a doubter this offseason and got it wrong.

Kaiser

Reaction score
As I said earlier, this team will go as far as the offense will take it. The thread was started with a post that said this D was more talented and better than what we had in 2014. I don't see it. We're counting on too many question marks and have already started off poorly due to inactivity in the draft and FA-- and of course the suspensions.

Which is funny because half the posts here leading up to the 2014 season were that the Dallas defense would be "worst of the last 30 years".

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Which is funny because half the posts here leading up to the 2014 season were that the Dallas defense would be "worst of the last 30 years".

Conversely, what were they saying about the 2013 defense, which actually was?

:huh:

Sydla

Reaction score

And if people are going to use the 2014 defense as proof the "pessimists" don't know what they are talking about, let's point out that the "optimists" were extremely bullish on the defense and the pass rush and ability to generate turnovers in 2015 and what happened? Not much pass rush, no turnovers and the defense was largely blah.

Kaiser

Reaction score

If they were smart they were saying the Cowboys had freak injuries that had the team signing DL off the street and giving them significant playing time a few days later. If guys like Marvin Austin are in the rotation, it wasn't because the plan failed or the coaching failed. Its because you had freak injuries.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score

True-- the defense wasn't nearly as bad as people feared. But it still failed to deliver in the playoffs when it mattered.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And if people are going to use the 2014 defense as proof the "pessimists" don't know what they are talking about, let's point out that the "optimists" were extremely bullish on the defense and the pass rush and ability to generate turnovers in 2015 and what happened? Not much pass rush, no turnovers and the defense was largely blah.

Yeah, but, but, but 2014!