Prime Zeke was faster than pollard

ESisback

Reaction score
Not how many penalties, but when they’re called.

Exactly! Any big play in our favor? Flag! We score? Holding! We stop a team on third or fourth down? Interference! Or roughing the passer! Yeah, some are our own fault, but there are only so many odd coincidences. I remember seeing BLANTANT holding on our pass rushers THREE TIMES against Green Bay, and not a word! I mean arm-around-the-neck blatant, but Rodgers gets off his desperation heave! I think this year we’ll make that smug SOB sit down!

conner01

Reaction score
Pollard gives you the homerun potential
He certainly does, or at least a double or triple lol
Zeke has a role but pollard is a playmaker so we got to scheme the ball into his hands and let him do his thing
I’d make him my toy and have him all over the place, in motion, on sweeps, even in the slot or outside
Just find a way to get him the ball in both the run game and passing game
That helps the WR’s because it forces a DB to pay attention to pollard

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
He certainly does, or at least a double or triple lol
Zeke has a role but pollard is a playmaker so we got to scheme the ball into his hands and let him do his thing
I’d make him my toy and have him all over the place, in motion, on sweeps, even in the slot or outside
Just find a way to get him the ball in both the run game and passing game
That helps the WR’s because it forces a DB to pay attention to pollard
Do you recall Moore saying nfl defenses were too fast to run the ball outside?
Pollard had that long td run on a wide run.
That comment made me lose confidence in Moore.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
I’m top of having everything else over him. He can get that back if he commits to totaling less hits and better conditioning.

A straight line Zeke was probably faster. I thought he was getting back on track early in the season last year then the knee injury hit, Dak missed a game and then offense wasn't quite the same. The run game ineffectivness definitely made it more difficult for Dak and the decision to continue to trot out a hampered Zeke was just silly. That along with subpar blocking, and poor running game coordination by Kellen turned what could have been a great season into one of underachievement.

I'm optimistic those things are priority number 1 for the coaching staff.

quickccc

Reaction score
Zeke is (or was) a power back with speed. Sort of like Herschel Walker was, except Herschel never lost that much of his speed.

zeke was/is not as stiff and tippy toed upright as Hershel, but walker had str8-line world class speed... at his era it wasn't many players in the NFL
that was str8- line fast as Hershel ...Zeke is 230 pounds vs Pollards 210 lbs...

Even vs 2016 Zeke, Pollard is probably still quicker and faster, .. but Elliott 2016 version was no slouch when
it came to burst and home run breakaway ability .. Per McClay, that's was the leading reason why we made him No.4th overall.

But imagine you have both breakaway speed, and 230 pounds of bull power - that makes it very tough for tacklers
on a defense, and several defenders have testified to what makes zeke tough to deal with ...

But that was 2016 ago ... the added bulk and toll beating Garrett regime subject him to,....has made him a totally different, lesser player.
Teams know he's just a bell cow workhorse. they don't have to be on pins and eggshells of him breaking it big, like they did back in 2016.

conner01

Reaction score
Do you recall Moore saying nfl defenses were too fast to run the ball outside?
Pollard had that long td run on a wide run.
That comment made me lose confidence in Moore.
Lots of teams run on the edges
It’s about blocking it up and the back being quick and finding that lane that’s open
Pollard is also a return guy so not only is he quick he’s experienced with finding that lane
Besides the TD run he had other runs on the edge that had solid gains
If a defense gets too aggressive attacking your edge runs you cut back
Pollard just needs the ball in his hands and he will do the rest

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Quick and fast are two different things. As a runner, I was quick for the first 40 or so, but thereafter, my speed waned.

I made defenses look silly in a phone booth and if I tired them out, it led to long runs.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Speed has never really been a question with Zeke it’s been his burst and quickness. He’s not very shifty and can’t make defenders miss. Pollard is much quicker and shiftier than Zeke and he does have burst, however that doesn’t mean he’s a better back, at least not every down.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Zeke was never faster than Pollard.
"Official" time...yes, Zeke was faster 4.47 to 4.52

But Pollard had a Pro Day time of 4.38
:omg:

Usually, you take Pro Days times and add at least 1/10 a second as they are almost always bogus
But after watching Pollard, it looks legit for a change

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
It’s hard to tell exactly how fast Zeke is currently because he can never get out ahead of everyone to see if he can be caught. If there was nothing between him and the end zone then we could find out.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I don’t feel good going into this season with the same O-Line coach. I don’t like him. I heard we got a new assistant coach on the O-Line. I hope he is dealing with these players.

What does the Oline coach have to do with anything?

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Lots of teams run on the edges
It’s about blocking it up and the back being quick and finding that lane that’s open
Pollard is also a return guy so not only is he quick he’s experienced with finding that lane
Besides the TD run he had other runs on the edge that had solid gains
If a defense gets too aggressive attacking your edge runs you cut back
Pollard just needs the ball in his hands and he will do the rest
I think they should make him the cowbell this year to see what they got.
Contract year.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
It’s hard to tell exactly how fast Zeke is currently because he can never get out ahead of everyone to see if he can be caught. If there was nothing between him and the end zone then we could find out.

Sort of a hard criteria to set in saying that you can only judge based on their ability to run with nobody in front of them.

Pollard was much quicker and had a higher top-end than Zeke did in 2021. Zeke played with some injury so maybe that hurt, but there's no denying that Pollard was quicker in tight spaces and faster in open spaces.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Sort of a hard criteria to set in saying that you can only judge based on their ability to run with nobody in front of them.

Pollard was much quicker and had a higher top-end than Zeke did in 2021. Zeke played with some injury so maybe that hurt, but there's no denying that Pollard was quicker in tight spaces and faster in open spaces.

Pollard’s quickness and burst enables him to get into the open field. Zeke doesn’t have near the burst or quickness and seems to seek out defenders. He can’t make anyone miss and doesn’t seem to try and make anyone miss. He just lowers his head and takes on defenders.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
What does the Oline coach have to do with anything?

Somebody is designing all those plays where the center leaves the middle gap wide open to go help Zack friggin Martin as well as all those plays where the backside DE is left completely unblocked on purpose. To say nothing of all the plays where the tight end has to block the play side DE at the point of attack. If it's not the o-line coach then who should we blame for it?

RonnieT24

Reaction score
What universe exists where a professional RB gets better in age past 26? Not this one.

Better in age? That's a tad confusing phraseology there. However to your point, backs absolutely can get better with age. The issue is that people tend to only want to look at one or two things when judging a running back. Yards and touchdowns. In the modern NFL that's just not enough metrics to make an accurate assessment. There is so much more to the job these days. They have to catch the ball, they have to pass block, they have to convert first downs, they have to protect the ball (not fumble), they have to break tackles, they have to know when to get out of bounds to stop the clock, they have to know when to go down so as to save precious seconds when they can't get out of bounds. To say nothing of preserving their bodies. A back could very easily be better getting 1300 yards on the ground and 10 TDs in year 6 than he was getting 1500 yards on the ground and 12 TDs in year one. If of course he improved dramatically in those other areas.

Lots of backs have had their best years at or after age 26. Three of Walter Payton's best years in terms of yards from scrimmage happened after age 30. Emmitt's best season was his age 26 season.. Curtis Martin had his best season at age 31. There are other examples but you get the picture. Is it common? Certainly not.. but it's not some absolutely impossibility as your post suggests. Everybody is different.. Only two things apply universally to all human beings.. and this aint one of them.