Pro comp for Sam Williams

kskboys

Reaction score
While having sacks doesn't correlate, not having sacks does mean they probably aren't to get them in the NFL either.

There are few examples of NFL sack masters who put up doughnuts in college.
Can't disagree. While sack numbers don't mean a ton, not having them does. Good point.

It's like a QB and arm strength. Arm strength is not a predictor, but not having enough means failure. Colt McCoy would be a high quality starter if his arm was just a little stronger.

kskboys

Reaction score
That's not true.

Von Miller 4.49 40 time
Micah Parson 4.39 40 time

Don't think these guys are on the Wild Bunch kickoff coverage.

40 time is maybe the most important combine stat.
It is a relevant stat, but it's more of a matter of a minimum. For instance, a 240-260 lb pass rusher must run around a 4.7. And it escalates w/ size. A 280-310 lb pass rusher needs to be under 5. JJ Watt, for instance, was around a 4.9.

kskboys

Reaction score
Anybody who tells you workouts are more important than play on the field should be laughed at.
College play? Absolutely. College production? Almost meaningless.

It's about physical skillsets and instincts, mostly. Motor and attitude also big.

What is most important by leaps and bounds are the scouting analyses. There's no close 2nd. Counting stats does almost nothing as far as figuring out if a player's skills transfer to the NFL.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
On the same day I read that sack numbers don't mean much I also read that production in college doesn't mean much either.

You don't know jack about these players until they run around the cones at the Combine.

Keep it coming.

The Realist

Reaction score
On the same day I read that sack numbers don't mean much I also read that production in college doesn't mean much either.

You don't know jack about these players until they run around the cones at the Combine.

Keep it coming.

Scouting staffs could save millions if they stopped going to games and practices and just showed up at the combine for measurements and testing numbers.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Scouting staffs could save millions if they stopped going to games and practices and just showed up at the combine for measurements and testing numbers.

All you hear from actual personnel guys is if a player out performs expectations in a workout they have to go back and check his tape to see if they missed something. They need to see it on the field.

A guy runs an unexpected 4.4, they need to check to see if he actually does play that fast and if he doesn't that 4.4 means jack squat.

kskboys

Reaction score

Keep it coming.
I see that your weakness is draft analyses.

I am glad you finally realized that college production means very little when analyzing potential draftees. You are making the common mistake of thinking that only one thing matters when analyzing players to draft. College production is to be examined, but it is way down the list as to predicting success. Examining college play and assessing how that play will translate against better talent is much more important than production.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I see that your weakness is draft analyses.

I am glad you finally realized that college production means very little when analyzing potential draftees. You are making the common mistake of thinking that only one thing matters when analyzing players to draft. College production is to be examined, but it is way down the list as to predicting success. Examining college play and assessing how that play will translate against better talent is much more important than production.

I'm making the common mistake of not understanding that play on the field is "almost meaningless" with these college prospects. What really matters is 3 cone drills and broad jumps. Stuff like that.

You learn so much here.