Pro Comparison for Jalen Tolbert?

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Every time I look at Tolbert's game, his routes, what he does with the ball after the catch, his hands, I'm reminded of the HOFer Andre Reed.

They are virtually the same height and weight. Reed was 6'2' 190 lbs. Tolbert is a tad shorter at 6'1'' 190 lbs. Both have a skinny waste and midsection, both were really good route runners with good hands. Both players ran a 4.4 40 time.

You can also move both guys to any of the WR positions on the field, which is nice.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Demaryius Thomas clone.

Man, what a sad ending to his life. That guy was a good player, for sure. I see him as being a little bigger than Tolbert.. But they do have similarities. Tolbert can be a possession type receiver. But he's a little, lighter and shorter.

If we can get the kind of production out of Tolbert that Thomas had, we're in business.

J12B

Reaction score
Every time I look at Tolbert's game, his routes, what he does with the ball after the catch, his hands, I'm reminded of the HOFer Andre Reed.

They are virtually the same height and weight. Reed was 6'2' 190 lbs. Tolbert is a tad shorter at 6'1'' 190 lbs. Both have a skinny waste and midsection, both were really good route runners with good hands. Both players ran a 4.4 40 time.

You can also move both guys to any of the WR positions on the field, which is nice.

Keenan Allen

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
It's lazy, but Michael Gallup. Dudes with average NFL size and speed, yet still manage to win lots of deep balls with great coordination.

ColeBeasley11

BruceCarter54
Reaction score
It's lazy, but Michael Gallup. Dudes with average NFL size and speed, yet still manage to win lots of deep balls with great coordination.

Honestly that’s best one Ive seen. Height and weight very similar, and yes they play similarly.
D Thomas was bigger and faster. Andre Reed was before my time if he reminds OP of a HoF WR sounds great lol.

kskboys

Reaction score
Honestly that’s best one Ive seen. Height and weight very similar, and yes they play similarly.
D Thomas was bigger and faster. Andre Reed was before my time if he reminds OP of a HoF WR sounds great lol.
Demaryius was bigger and faster, but their game is very similar.

Maybe Courtland Sutton.

Pass2Run

Reaction score

Yes, he was during my time. So, hopefully, that's not indicative of me being too old to know anything about today's league. But I think a guy like Andre Reed would still fair pretty well in today's NFL, so yeah, I feel like it's a good thing.

If you look at their build and body type, they are almost identical. Then, when you see the way they play, their catches, and routes, I truly wouldn't be able to tell them apart. It's like they are freakin' twins.

I see the Gallup comparison, too, though. Lots of similarities there.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Gallup is probably the only WR mentioned in this thread that he is anything like lol

I think he maybe he could be a poor mans Chris Godwin

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Gallup is probably the only WR mentioned in this thread that he is anything like lol

I think he maybe he could be a poor mans Chris Godwin

Curious about your age.

Because I can't see how he's more like Gallup than Reed.

Were you ever able to watch Andre Reed?

I definitely see what the other posters are saying about Gallup and Thomas.. But I'm still sticking with my Reed comparison.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Curious about your age.

Because I can't see how he's more like Gallup than Reed.

Were you ever able to watch Andre Reed?

I definitely see what the other posters are saying about Gallup and Thomas.. But I'm still sticking with my Reed comparison.
I grew up in the 90's and live 40 miles from Buffalo, so ya I watched Reed lol. Im not about to compare a late 3rd pick with a HOF player.

I dont see any comparison to Thomas at all. Thomas a height/weight/speed freak that won with rare athleticism. Tolbert profiles as a diverse prospect that is good at alot of things, but doesnt have any kind of trademark skill. Solid route runner, adequate deep threat, probably not going to much of a contested catch guy in the NFL. An 85% off version of Gallup seems like a good comparison

Pass2Run

Reaction score
I grew up in the 90's and live 40 miles from Buffalo, so ya I watched Reed lol. Im not about to compare a late 3rd pick with a HOF player.

I dont see any comparison to Thomas at all. Thomas a height/weight/speed freak that won with rare athleticism. Tolbert profiles as a diverse prospect that is good at alot of things, but doesnt have any kind of trademark skill. Solid route runner, adequate deep threat, probably not going to much of a contested catch guy in the NFL. An 85% off version of Gallup seems like a good comparison

Fair enough.

The way you describe Tolbert is kind of how I view Reed. He was a jack of all trades, master of none sort of guy. Great route runner, too.

I don't expect everyone to agree. I was just curious if you had ever watched Reed.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Fair enough.

The way you describe Tolbert is kind of how I view Reed. He was a jack of all trades, master of none sort of guy. Great route runner, too.

I don't expect everyone to agree. I was just curious if you had ever watched Reed.
I see what are getting the comparison. But Reed was greatness. He was a guy that used every tool he had to win. I dont compare guys who havent played in the NFL to those level players. It goes beyond similar skills they have in their tool kit.

I see Tolbert giving us the type of production throughout his rookie contract to what Wilson have us this last year

ColeBeasley11

BruceCarter54
Reaction score
Yes, he was during my time. So, hopefully, that's not indicative of me being too old to know anything about today's league. But I think a guy like Andre Reed would still fair pretty well in today's NFL, so yeah, I feel like it's a good thing.

If you look at their build and body type, they are almost identical. Then, when you see the way they play, their catches, and routes, I truly wouldn't be able to tell them apart. It's like they are freakin' twins.

I see the Gallup comparison, too, though. Lots of similarities there.

With age comes wisdom!
Thanks for that, sounds like your pretty excited about him I hope your right. Clearly we need him and he basically fell into our laps in the third, feels like a great fit. I have a friend from Mobile and he says he’s a great kid.

fivetwos

Reaction score

Body type = Andre Reed for certain. Couldn't put my finger on who with that long neck and body, but that's him! Nice.

And hey, Reed was a 4th rounder out out very small school.

Maybe things change when I see Tolbert play and he looks different, but nailed it on the Reed comp for now.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
I see what are getting the comparison. But Reed was greatness. He was a guy that used every tool he had to win. I dont compare guys who havent played in the NFL to those level players. It goes beyond similar skills they have in their tool kit.

I see Tolbert giving us the type of production throughout his rookie contract to what Wilson have us this last year

I get that. But I'm simply talking about style of play.. I'm not saying he is Andre Reed. Just that his style of play reminds me a lot of Reed.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
With age comes wisdom!
Thanks for that, sounds like your pretty excited about him I hope your right. Clearly we need him and he basically fell into our laps in the third, feels like a great fit. I have a friend from Mobile and he says he’s a great kid.

He has the same competitive nature as Reed. But obviously, his career just started so it's too early to tell. But, I think there's reason to be excited about him. He looks like he has potential.