Pro Comparison for Jalen Tolbert?

exciter

Reaction score
Nah, I think we did better than TWill with this one... lol
Yeah, but there’s some strange expectations for a kid that’s never played a snap. If he doesn’t immediately meet those expectations, by week 3 people are going to be screaming bust!

kskboys

Reaction score
2nd coming of Terrence Williams!
Not even close. You might want to read some scouting reports to avoid terrible comparisons such as this one.

Twill was a body catcher. Tolbert has a wide catch radius w/ very strong hands to "win above the rim". TWill had none of these traits.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Yeah, but there’s some strange expectations for a kid that’s never played a snap. If he doesn’t immediately meet those expectations, by week 3 people are going to be screaming bust!

Tolbert's style of play kind of makes him a plug and play guy. He wasn't the tallest, or fastest, or quickest..

It's the things he knew at his level of play that looked like they would translate well to the NFL, it was sort of those things, that make him draftable.

WR guys don't seem to need to develop quite as much as other positions, it seems like. But I do get your point here. The expectations for him are really high.

We'll see how it goes. If he doesn't produce, I'm sure it won't take much time to sit him down in place of someone else. I think most of the reason people think he'll play well for us is because he really was being talked about as a 2nd round pick. Not just by the Cowboys, but by others as well. Yet, he fell all the way to the 3rd.

Acceptablename

Reaction score
Tolbert's style of play kind of makes him a plug and play guy. He wasn't the tallest, or fastest, or quickest..

It's the things he knew at his level of play that looked like they would translate well to the NFL, it was sort of those things, that make him draftable.

WR guys don't seem to need to develop quite as much as other positions, it seems like. But I do get your point here. The expectations for him are really high.

We'll see how it goes. If he doesn't produce, I'm sure it won't take much time to sit him down in place of someone else. I think most of the reason people think he'll play well for us is because he really was being talked about as a 2nd round pick. Not just by the Cowboys, but by others as well. Yet, he fell all the way to the 3rd.
Cowboys lucking in to falling players has been a trend the last few years. Last year was FatBoss so lucking out kinda diminishes their picks. There is also a patience experience IMO

kskboys

Reaction score

I believe Tolbert has a very high floor. It's highly unlikely that he won't turn out to be one of our 3 best WR's. This kid is simply a football player.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Hopefully he's his own player, why does he have to be like another one?

He'll do what he can do with his physical talents and what coaching and competition he gets....

The Realist

Reaction score
Hopefully he's his own player, why does he have to be like another one?

He'll do what he can do with his physical talents and what coaching and competition he gets....

Pro coaches and scouts compare prospects to current and former players all the time. Parcells once said “if he doesn’t remind you of someone you used to coach you’re probably drafting the wrong guy.” McCarthy said after taking Waletzko that he reminded him of a tackle he used to have in KC.

kskboys

Reaction score
Tolbert's game also reminds me a bit of Courtland Sutton.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Because it's fun to try and find players he compares to. Not sure why that would bother you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't see the fun in it.

And I didn't say it bothered me, I just asked a question and stated my opinion.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Every time I look at Tolbert's game, his routes, what he does with the ball after the catch, his hands, I'm reminded of the HOFer Andre Reed.

They are virtually the same height and weight. Reed was 6'2' 190 lbs. Tolbert is a tad shorter at 6'1'' 190 lbs. Both have a skinny waste and midsection, both were really good route runners with good hands. Both players ran a 4.4 40 time.

You can also move both guys to any of the WR positions on the field, which is nice.
Well that would be a sweet win if he plays near that level !