Pro Comparison for Jalen Tolbert?

quickccc

Reaction score
It's lazy, but Michael Gallup. Dudes with average NFL size and speed, yet still manage to win lots of deep balls with great coordination.

Gallup wins a lot of " contested" battle balls, with his physicality and body control ...which means he's does not have great separation speed.

kskboys

Reaction score
Gallup wins a lot of " contested" battle balls, with his physicality and body control ...which means he's does not have great separation speed.
"Fluid accelerator who creates separation at the stem w/ strong cuts and varied gaits."
As the #2, we don't ask him to run all that many routes, from what I've seen. He apparently has good separation ability.

quickccc

Reaction score
"Fluid accelerator who creates separation at the stem w/ strong cuts and varied gaits."
As the #2, we don't ask him to run all that many routes, from what I've seen. He apparently has good separation ability.

Is that Gallup's scouting profile coming out of college ?
Sure - but what about the NFL level now ?

Imo, good enuff release at the line to get in position to contest for jump balls, sideline grabs downfield...but he's not gonna be flat pulling away from the better coverage
men. He's not Metcalf burner. That's great, over the top separation.

BTW, he's also a terrific jump ball grabber near the goal line, red zone with his eye-hand, body control, hops and physicality.
Too bad he got injured on that kind of play. (per Niners playoff game)

kskboys

Reaction score
Is that Gallup's scouting profile coming out of college ?
Sure - but what about the NFL level now ?

Imo, good enuff release at the line to get in position to contest for jump balls, sideline grabs downfield...but he's not gonna be flat pulling away from the better coverage
men. He's not Metcalf burner. That's great, over the top separation.

BTW, he's also a terrific jump ball grabber near the goal line, red zone with his eye-hand, body control, hops and physicality.
Too bad he got injured on that kind of play. (per Niners playoff game)
Those are his physical skillset abilities. He still has those skills.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score

Which means he plays against cornerbacks with similar speed.

This is the NFL, to be "head and shoulders" better than the cornerbacks a receiver has to be not just great but exceptional, like Randy Moss skeptical.
And those guys are drafted well before the third round, as Gallup was.

JBond

Reaction score
Moss, tall fast guy with exceptional talent. Hill, small guy with exceptional talent.

I would be happy with a competent player with some talent that is on the same page as our aging and more mature QB.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
It's best to have speed receivers, possession receivers, route runners and receivers who can win contested balls.
But it's not absolutely necessary to have all of these. That's where coaching comes into play.

Cowboys have most of the types of receivers listed, my biggest question is do McCarthy and Moore have what it takes?

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Every time I look at Tolbert's game, his routes, what he does with the ball after the catch, his hands, I'm reminded of the HOFer Andre Reed.

They are virtually the same height and weight. Reed was 6'2' 190 lbs. Tolbert is a tad shorter at 6'1'' 190 lbs. Both have a skinny waste and midsection, both were really good route runners with good hands. Both players ran a 4.4 40 time.

You can also move both guys to any of the WR positions on the field, which is nice.
This week on NFL Network they had a day where they pretty much had nothing but Buffalo Bills stuff on. I enjoyed it because they showed highlights of the four Super Bowls that the Bills lost, allowing me to see a couple of hours of Jimmy’s Cowboys kicking Buffalo’s teeth in.

Anyway, they also showed an hour long football life on Andre Reed. It struck me how much Tolbert does indeed remind me of Reed. They look very similar running routes.

I’m not saying that Tolbert will be a hall of fame player like Reed… but he sure enough looks a lot like him playing WR. I don’t know what that means, but I wanted to let you know that I definitely see it too.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
This week on NFL Network they had a day where they pretty much had nothing but Buffalo Bills stuff on. I enjoyed it because they showed highlights of the four Super Bowls that the Bills lost, allowing me to see a couple of hours of Jimmy’s Cowboys kicking Buffalo’s teeth in.

Anyway, they also showed an hour long football life on Andre Reed. It struck me how much Tolbert does indeed remind me of Reed. They look very similar running routes.

I’m not saying that Tolbert will be a hall of fame player like Reed… but he sure enough looks a lot like him playing WR. I don’t know what that means, but I wanted to let you know that I definitely see it too.

Yep, the resemblance is striking. It's one of the most accurate comparisons I've ever made for a current player compared to an old one. Glad at least a few others can see that I'm not off my rocker. lol

Last edited:

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Funny how a number of posts in this thread listed other players that Tolbert reminds them of.

Why is that?

Well, 6'1" - 6'2", 190 lbs and a 4.4 40 time all fall within a pretty common range for NFL receivers

cowboyec

Reaction score
very excited about this kid.
love his size.
good hands.
works hard.
can't wait to watch him make his way in this league.