Pro Wrestlers You May Not Remember

Phoenix

Reaction score
I had no idea either.... saw this in a wrestling thread somewhere out there.

Here's the answer!

It's the Scufflin' Hillbillies: Chuck, Rip and Cousin Alfred.

(possum stomp....? lol)

(I even got the hint wrong ha ha...not an uncle, a cousin. Boggle.)

bodi

Reaction score
Bruiser Brody

one of my favs

Frank Donald Goodish - Goodish was an All-State football and basketball player at Warren High School, Michigan, and played football at West Texas A&M University (then known as West Texas State) and with the Washington Commanders in the NFL

6-8 #283

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Bruiser Brody

one of my favs

Frank Donald Goodish - Goodish was an All-State football and basketball player at Warren High School, Michigan, and played football at West Texas A&M University (then known as West Texas State) and with the Washington Commanders in the NFL

6-8 #283

I'm a huge Brody mark.

And I arrived late to the game when it came to appreciating his skill set.

I started watching the WWWF soon after he left that territory. At that point he was on steroids (which he later admitted) and weighed about 325lbs. Between the steroids and the body building, he was one of the strongest men in the sport.

He later got off the roids and his weight came down to about 285lbs.

But I could only follow him in the mags until he showed up on Georgia Championship Wrestling for a brief visit to that territory. And what I saw was just amazing. Here was a guy, probably 6'6", in the 300lb range who could leapfrog another wrestler. And he could deliver a perfect drop-kick.

He had very little wrestling ability, but the man was incredibly agile for his size. Think of the "anti-Hulk Hogan".

If his combination of strength and agility wasn't enough to wow the average fan, then his level of aggression did. I forget how many years in a row one of the more prominent wrestling mags made Brody the "Brawler of the Year". So many of his matches ended in bloodshed.

Brody had an aura that you do not find with one single wrestler today. Some of it came from his overall ability. But a lot of it came from his "reputation". He was like Andre and Ernie Ladd in that he never stayed in a territory for too long. And he wrestled in Japan for several weeks a year. The result was that he never got stale like what you have with today's group of wrestlers in the WWE.

Just watch the beginning of his match vs. Dick Murdock in Japan in '85...

Fans don't "clear out" for wrestlers today... not like they did with Brody.

Brody did not get along with many promoters. He felt they were taking advantage of wrestlers and they probably were. But promoters bit their lip and still did what they could to get Brody to come to their territories because he was a huge draw. The guy could sell tickets. And he could work as a face or heel.

Unfortunately it was his refusal to put a guy over (Danny Spivey) that may have contributed to him being stabbed by a promoter in Puerto Rico.

Mentioning Tony Atlas earlier, it was Atlas who lifted Brody into the ambulance, because the ambulance crew couldn't do it. It proved too little, too late and Brody bled out and passed way in 1987.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm a huge Brody mark.

But I could only follow him in the mags until he showed up on Georgia Championship Wrestling for a brief visit to that territory. And what I saw was just amazing.
Absolutely! I've seen every Bruiser Brody video on YouTube. If he could have made it to WWF I think Vince could have really done something with him.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Absolutely! I've seen every Bruiser Brody video on YouTube. If he could have made it to WWF I think Vince could have really done something with him.

There had been discussions about Brody going to the WWF. I mean by that time most of the territories had folded, but Brody still had Japan and a few independent areas where he could draw.

Someone had asked Brody prior to his death if he would consider going and putting Hulk Hogan over, and Brody's answer basically centered around how much money he would make by doing the "job".

It would have been interesting. The last 5 years or so of Brody's career consisted of very, very few clean pin fall losses. Virtually all of his losses were of the DQ or count-out variety.

Even in tag-matches if Brody's team lost via pin-fall, it was his partner who did the "job".

I think it would have taken a ton of money to get Brody to take a clean pin-fall loss to Hogan.

No question though, it would have been an epic confrontation. Piper, Bundy, Orndorff, Big John Stuff... Brody had a bigger world wide reputation than all of them.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The legendary Big John Stuff.

I'm assuming you meant "Studd". :D

John needed the right opponent in order to have a decent match. If not, it became a battle of the wrestling "stiffs".

I have, on beta no less, matches between Studd/Andre and Stuff/Hogan. They're entertaining to a point. Andre blades himself in one of them, which is interesting to see. If Hogan's offense consisted of a body slam, a foot to the face and the Hogan leg drop, Studd's offense consisted of forearm smashes to the back, a body slam and a bear hug.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm assuming you meant "Studd". :D

John needed the right opponent in order to have a decent match. If not, it became a battle of the wrestling "stiffs".

I have, on beta no less, matches between Studd/Andre and Stuff/Hogan. They're entertaining to a point. Andre blades himself in one of them, which is interesting to see. If Hogan's offense consisted of a body slam, a foot to the face and the Hogan leg drop, Studd's offense consisted of forearm smashes to the back, a body slam and a bear hug.

Bobby Heenan said Studd couldn't take a bump. Nicest guy in the world but one of the hardest guys to work with in the ring. His opponent really had to take care of him in there.

You'll never see me take a shot at Hogan. I wouldn't have paid any attention to professional wrestling if it weren't for him. I found him far more interesting than the pure wrestlers.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Bobby Heenan said Studd couldn't take a bump. Nicest guy in the world but one of the hardest guys to work with in the ring. His opponent really had to take care of him in there.

You'll never see me take a shot at Hogan. I wouldn't have paid any attention to professional wrestling if it weren't for him. I found him far more interesting than the pure wrestlers.

Oh I know you're a Hogan-mark.

I can't stand the guy, BUT I understand his affect on the business and his legacy. He did a lot for wrestling.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Oh I know you're a Hogan-mark.

I can't stand the guy, BUT I understand his affect on the business and his legacy. He did a lot for wrestling.

Have you ever checked out the wrestling shoot interviews on youtube? There's a ton of great information on there from a lot of the past wrestlers.

bodi

Reaction score
we used to watch him on TV in the 70's every chance we could get in Dallas

then while I was living Denver CO me and some friends decided to the wresting matches - we drove up an I be dam if I did not see Brodie getting out of a cab

and his match made my night

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Have you ever checked out the wrestling shoot interviews on youtube? There's a ton of great information on there from a lot of the past wrestlers.

Yeah, from time to time I'll catch one... And yep, they're usually pretty entertaining... And informative.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
we used to watch him on TV in the 70's every chance we could get in Dallas

then while I was living Denver CO me and some friends decided to the wresting matches - we drove up an I be dam if I did not see Brodie getting out of a cab

and his match made my night

I never got to see him in a live match. :(

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Something you may not have known is that at least in the NWA, each champion had to put up a deposit (even Thesz) so that the alliance could be sure of some control over the champion's intentions in the ring and with the belt.

Flair ended up taking the NWA Championship belt to the WWF, and showing up on TV with it because there was some miscommunication between Flair and the folks controlling the NWA office at the time. Flair thought he wasn't going to get his $25,000.00 deposit back.

Eventually the situation was sorted. Flair got back his $25,000.00 and the NWA got their belt.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Something you may not have known is that at least in the NWA, each champion had to put up a deposit (even Thesz) so that the alliance could be sure of some control over the champion's intentions in the ring and with the belt.

Flair ended up taking the NWA Championship belt to the WWF, and showing up on TV with it because there was some miscommunication between Flair and the folks controlling the NWA office at the time. Flair thought he wasn't going to get his $25,000.00 deposit back.

Eventually the situation was sorted. Flair got back his $25,000.00 and the NWA got their belt.

I never heard of that before.

BigDGarciaFan

Reaction score
anyone heard of Bob Sweetan? he was one of the top wrestling stars here in San Antonio back in the early 80s. also known as Mr. Piledriver. he as a feud with Jerry Lawler to decide who was the real king of the piledriver.

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
anyone heard of Bob Sweetan? he was one of the top wrestling stars here in San Antonio back in the early 80s. also known as Mr. Piledriver. he as a feud with Jerry Lawler to decide who was the real king of the piledriver.

Kinda rings a bell. His moniker was bruiser I think.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Good call!

th
th
th

SkinsandTerps

Commanders Forever
Reaction score
I am still laughing so hard about the Big John Stuff post that I can barely post this one.

Oh, boy. haha.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Oh yeah!

That promotion was on the USA network in the early 80's... Until Vince Jr. bought the air time.

I think the area was originally promoted by Tully Blanchard's father. Bruiser Brody wrestled there a lot (he was from San Antonio).

I don't think the territory was officially linked with either the NWA or the AWA, but retained its independence.