Problem I have with Dak and our Offense

817Gill

Reaction score
OK, can you please post those records against Ranked Defensive teams in 2016 and 2018? I remember having those discussions on this board.
Well 2016 is easy we went 13-3 and lost two games to the Giants and one to the 7-9 eagles. So we obviously had a winning record against winning teams.

2018 we were 2-4 but 2 of those losses came in the first half of the season when our starting WR’s were Dionte Thompson and Allen Hurns, his coaching was trash, and O-line was also coached by Paul Alexander who was fired mid-season. I’m not going to argue if he should have over come all that or not, I’ll let you do with that info as you want.

Swagger

Reaction score
I don't know which team you've been watching the past 4 seasons, but Dak has carried the team MANY TIMES over the years.

I have been impressed with his durability, I give him credit for that. But I genuinely cannot recall a game whereby he carried the team when asked to in a big game. Even Jimmy G did that for the 49ers against the Saints this season when asked, he got came up big and that win was huge in terms of securing the #1 spot, otherwise they would have been #5 seed without a bye and home field advantage throughout the play offs and probably not in the Superbowl as a result.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I have been impressed with his durability, I give him credit for that. But I genuinely cannot recall a game whereby he carried the team when asked to in a big game. Even Jimmy G did that for the 49ers against the Saints this season when asked, he got came up big and that win was huge in terms of securing the #1 spot, otherwise they would have been #5 seed without a bye and home field advantage throughout the play offs and probably not in the Superbowl as a result.
:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Do you truly want me to do your homework for you and post it (videos) here to remind you?

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Who said that the Cowboys didn't have one of the top Offenses? I mean, statistically, they absolutely did but in terms of how they performed against Top Ranked Defenses, they clearly did not get it done well enough to win games. I mean, that's the entire crux of the conversation. It's all well and good to throw down 500 yards against a poor defensive team and hang 46 up but if you can't score more then 9 points against New England, 10 points against the Saints, 15 against the Bills, 9 against the Eagles, it doesn't really mean anything that you are ranked as a top 10 Offense. You gotta beat teams with good defenses or you might as well be playing Flag Football.

Take a look at the top 10 Offensive ranked teams. Of the Top 10, I think only something like three of them made the playoffs. Efficiency is the mark of a good Offense, not statistics.
Statistics are often used to measure efficiency, so they're not opposites. And the crux of the conversation depends on the conversation. I'm talking about overall offense -- not offensive performance in a specific set of games. It sounds like our "conversations" are different.

You commented that strength of opponent wasn't weighted enough in the rankings I'd posted. You could be right in your guess, but the only way to know would be to find out how much each analyst weights each part of their formula, and how Dallas compared to the rest of the league in this one aspect vs. all the other aspects. Then we'd know how much the other aspects make up for schedule strength to result in the overall ranking.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Well 2016 is easy we went 13-3 and lost two games to the Giants and one to the 7-9 eagles. So we obviously had a winning record against winning teams.

2018 we were 2-4 but 2 of those losses came in the first half of the season when our starting WR’s were Dionte Thompson and Allen Hurns, his coaching was trash, and O-line was also coached by Paul Alexander who was fired mid-season. I’m not going to argue if he should have over come all that or not, I’ll let you do with that info as you want.

Didn't say winning teams. Said Top Ranked Defenses.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Statistics are often used to measure efficiency, so they're not opposites. And the crux of the conversation depends on the conversation. I'm talking about overall offense -- not offensive performance in a specific set of games. It sounds like our "conversations" are different.

You commented that strength of opponent wasn't weighted enough in the rankings I'd posted. You could be right in your guess, but the only way to know would be to find out how much each analyst weights each part of their formula, and how Dallas compared to the rest of the league in this one aspect vs. all the other aspects. Then we'd know how much the other aspects make up for schedule strength to result in the overall ranking.

You may well be. I'm talking about winning. I'm talking about actually being a good offense. Not being a good offense Statistically.

It sounds like we are talking about different things.

IheartRomo

Reaction score
Of course you dont care. You are a pathetic Dak-homer.

Cowboys against top 10 scoring defenses w/ Amari:
0-7

You hate to see it.

This is a foolish comparison. The offense could light up a top 10 defense and the team can still lose (see Vikings game this year - Dak's finest career game IMO). In that scenario, blame for the loss wouldn't lay at the feet of the offense. Assigning a win/loss to the Cowboys offense vs a top 10 defense without context is mind-numbingly naive. But I assume you already know that.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
gimme a break; Dak has the benefit of a better offensive line than Romo ever had, and also a top running back and running game. Romo had team on his shoulders all the time. Dak just needs to do his part, and all he can do is drive the bus...on his better days.
Uh huh, nice talking points. Same baloney every time. Yet, Romo had a franchise record 13 Pro Bowlers playing alongside him, good Oline several times, very good RBs, much better TEs and WRs (along with a Top 3 best NFL Hall Of Fame WR) Dak has ever had, pretty good Defenses lead by an NFL Hall of Fame DE and other good players, a HOF head coach to start Romo's career, etc, etc. Romo had it much better.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
You may well be. I'm talking about winning. I'm talking about actually being a good offense. Not being a good offense Statistically.

It sounds like we are talking about different things.
You're focusing on that set of games and I'm looking at the season as a whole, because that gives us more information. That's what it looks like is happening.

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
This is a foolish comparison. The offense could light up a top 10 defense and the team can still lose (see Vikings game this year - Dak's finest career game IMO). In that scenario, blame for the loss wouldn't lay at the feet of the offense. Assigning a win/loss to the Cowboys offense vs a top 10 defense without context is mind-numbingly naive. But I assume you already know that.
Only thing foolish, is you...

It works both ways, I can say the games that he “won” the defense carried him the entire game ie week 17 in 2017

Tenkamenin

Reaction score
Its Dak

He consistently has receivers open but is not seeing the field well AT ALL

We didnt have this problem on offense when the last QB was here

Dak threw for 4900 yards, and so he not only saw open receivers he connected with them a lot.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
You're focusing on that set of games and I'm looking at the season as a whole, because that gives us more information. That's what it looks like is happening.

LOL.... No. I'm focusing on winning. I mean, I've already said that, and not just this past season. You are looking at the whole, as you say, and coming to the conclusion that we are a good Offense because statistically we are among the top teams in the league. I am looking at wins and losses and how we performed against good competition, not just this season but the last few. IMO, we are not a good Offense. We could be but we aren't. Good Offenses don't continuously make drive killing penalties all the time. They don't lose focus at critical times and they don't continuously seem to get themselves into situations where they fail to establish who and what they are built to be. We do all these things and to me, those are not the marks of good Offensive teams.

I know you may not agree but that's fine. Statistics clearly do not tell the story of what this team really is. If they did, we would not have been 8-8 last year, IMO.

MaineBoy

Reaction score
Uh huh, nice talking points. Same baloney every time. Yet, Romo had a franchise record 13 Pro Bowlers playing alongside him, good Oline several times, very good RBs, much better TEs and WRs (along with a Top 3 best NFL Hall Of Fame WR) Dak has ever had, pretty good Defenses lead by an NFL Hall of Fame DE and other good players, a HOF head coach to start Romo's career, etc, etc. Romo had it much better.

Dak, is that you ? Better receivers ? Puleeese...we could have Jerry Rice and Michael Irvin running routes for Dak and he would still be throwing half of his passes too high, behind, or in the dirt. They’d be wasted unless the better receivers are throwing the ball for Dak too. Keep spinning, Brother, but your Dak love is blurring your vision. Hopefully, Dak’s accuracy can improve when he’s throwing 6-8 yard passes in the the new West Coast hybrid scheme. If not, you’ll need to spin even harder.